Sign in to follow this  
Friendship is Horses

What would you do with a million dollars?

My first impulse would be to invest it and live off the dividends, but maybe I'd want to use it to start my own business? Something different and fun, like an open art studio. Or I could start a charter school, because public education sucks. How about y'all?

Hire people, turn my business into a society, buy a home in mountain. From where I would manage my society with a very hi-tech equipment. After that it would remain 1 or 2 hundred thousand dollars that I'll keep as treasury to be safe.

Eh, I'm still limited with one million dollars !

I would need much more to buy the My Little Pony license.

• Like 1

I would probably use around $250K-$300K (this would be my upper limit; it isn’t ruled out I could spend less) to buy and furnish modest house, in addition to paying off personal debt like student loans.  The rest of the money would go into savings and retirement fund(s) of some sort.  I would plan on continuing to work for some time, but ultimately I could most likely retire early (I would continue to put a good deal of my wages toward retirement in the process, as I would only have to worry about paying property taxes, utilities, and an occasional assessment on my house). 

start up a small ISP slowly building it up I am a networking major and have some friends that are technical experts I feel that it could be done with a lot of work. End of the day if we start small we could create a decent ISP from the ground up and make millions because of our policies of "As long as it's legal and not destroying our network, we don't care." 

I would pay off any debt that I had, and then store the rest of it away in case of emergency. I've seen too many people get into the habit of blowing all their money on pointless things, and when debts or bills come around they have nothing.

The only things I would consider getting as a luxury would be a car, and maybe a nice bottle of liquor.

24 minutes ago, Nile Komnenos said:

The only things I would consider getting as a luxury would be a car, and maybe a nice bottle of liquor.

No liquor for you this year emote.RDnotamused.png

I was thinking recently what I would do if I had just around $200,000 actually. With a million:

-Pay off all college debt

-Complete flight training (around $60-70K)

-Purchase a decent car (maybe a Nissan Altima or something similar)

-Buy a home?

Those are pretty much the only things I really need. The rest would be extra.

I'd buy a small house with a huge garage, then some cars and some motorcycles. Maybe I'd even start a bussiness of my own. The rest of the money would be well spent to fill the garage with tools and beer. :gleepony:

11 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

You're a genius.

It's brilliant, brillitant brilliant, I tell you! GENIUS, I SAY!

I mean, my original lotto fantasy involves at least tens of millions. I take enough to set aside in separate, FDIC insured high-yield savings accounts such that the interest about equals a presidential salary (~$400,000 per year), guaranteed income in perpetuity. I set aside a further amount to give the rest of my family each enough for $100K under the same scheme. Pay off any outstanding debts, order top-notch health insurance pans for the extended family, college savings, etc. etc.

Let's be honest, everybody wants to take care of themselves and their family first. I'm not even going to pretend otherwise.

With the millions of lotto bucks leftover, I set up endowments or trust funds to help fill in the atrocious holes in my local social service programs: classroom materials for teachers, say, or childcare for working parents. There's a lot of low-hanging fruit, unfortunately.

Sadly pretty much all of that is impossible with merely 1 million. Paying off debts and buying healthcare security for the immediate family, perhaps. Using the remnant as investments to shore up our incomes a bit. But a million doesn't go as far as it used to.