Light Blade

What did you REALLY think of MLP Movie?

What do you REALLY think of the Movie?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you REALLY think of the Movie?

• BEST MOVIE EVER!!!
    • Not flawless, but still great!
    • ...meh.
    • Sorry, but it was rather bad.
    • One of the worst things ever happened to MLP:FiM!

I thought it was a pretty good adaptation/extension of the show in terms of style and plot. It reminded me a lot about the Starlight Glimmer "saga", regarding a betrayal and eventual redemption of the character, in this case Tempest.. I mean, Fizzlepop :P .

Of course it was cheesy as always with the whole "friendship is magic" theme of the show, but what would you expect?

Other miscellaneous details I liked:

-Mention of "hungry hungry hippos" made me lel.

-There was another reference made but I forgot.

Let's be serious, it's not an awesome movie. But I think we all agree that it's neither a shame.

The characters are pretty well introduced, but that's all what most of them will get for the whole movie. No time for discussions between duo of the mane 6, not time to give them something meaningful like in the show. The only non-Twilight pony of the mane 6 who is well developed is Pinkie. She's here to perform jokes, and the scenarist realized that it would be not truly Pinkie if she has not something serious to say, too.

I think the moment where she's arguing with Twilight... Could have been gave to Applejack, being disagree with friends is something very honest. I've always saw Applejack like one of the top wise of the mane 6, with Twilight. My dear Rainbow Dash, you're far last, especially in this movie

emote.RDlaugh.png

There is a lot of incoherence too, (tons of video talk about that so I won't add something).

But I watched this movie something like 10 times (including 4 in theater), I'm pretty sure I didn't watch a movie this much since I was 8 year old, and that all my parents owned was some disney that I watched in a loop for years.

It's always such a pleasure to watch it right now, that it's like my movie of the century, if I just compare the time I spend watching it or the enjoyment for each viewing. So. According to my feels and not my analysis, best movie EVER !

By considering as just a movie like anyone else, It's close to Meh.

I liked it, that sums it up.

I honestly think that they had too many things and had a problem of trying to balance things for new watchers and fans. There were so many cool new things introduced but nothing got enough screen time. Twilight got most of the screen time because she was the main character and Tempest because she was a main villain. Rest of Mane 6 had variable amount of scenes and the guest cast didn't really get to shine as there were so many of them.

If you are fan of the show it is great because  you already know and love Mane Six.  But as new watcher it is closer to meh because you don't get enough time to really get to know any character besides movie Twilight and Tempest.  

• Like 1

I liked the "You Got This" song in the beginning. Friends encouraging friends! And Tempest's backstory felt like a touching and plausible account of how a pony could turn against other ponies in the happy friendly world of Equestria.

Everything else was me silently begging the Mane 6 to just please stay in one place long enough for some plot to happen.

• Like 2

Not particularly special. The only thing that made it worth the theater ticket was Tempest Shadow. Otherwise, was something I'd find a stream of online.

Many of the songs fell flat, but overall it was a fun movie with a bit of emotion in the middle. I only saw it when the DVD release came out, so I didn't mind the cost. If I saw it in theaters it probably wouldn't have been worth the cost.

Equal with Don Bluth's best animated epics of the 1980s. My first viewing of MLP reminded me strongly of watching The Land Before Time as a little boy in the theater. This movie is going to be an animation classic.

I thought the movie was just okay. My biggest problems were the pacing, the lack of character development, and just being kind of overstuffed. Considering the movie was about an hour and 40, I felt like the movie was rushing through all the new locations and characters so things didn't really get to sink in before being introduced to another new character and location. And while the movie focuses on the Mane 6 primarily, it's no secret that stuff was cut out even in that department and, as a result, gave even some of the Mane 6 nothing to do aside from be there. Namely, Fluttershy and Applejack.

The new characters got the worst of it development wise and them becoming friends with the Mane 6 and helping them in the end comes off as rushed for many of them (Tempest and Skystar befriending them was the most plausible and well-developed in my opinion). Plus, the Hippogriffs didn't seem to serve much of a purpose besides being a Mcguffin along with the pearl, which would be less annoying to me if the art book didn't explicitly say that in the original draft, they were going to help the rest of the group rescue Twilight and fight the Storm King's army. After changing the focus, they didn't replace the Hippogriff's use in the revision with anything so they end up being almost entirely useless. And the Storm King  (speaking if which) was another character who was shafted and the movie makes it kind of confusing how playful or how intimidating/evil he's supposed to be because he has so little screen time to develop either of these characteristics.

But while the movie has a lot of story problems that keep me from loving it, there's still enough to make me at least enjoy it for what it is. The music is top notch and I've loved it since I got the soundtrack on release day, the animation is beautiful and the Mane 6 have some great banter. Plus, Tempest is by far the best thing in the movie and steals every scene she's in thanks to Emily Blunt's amazing performance. Overall, it was okay.

• Like 1

The movie is alright. I wished that maybe it was a little bit longer like a additional 20~30 mins because I think the ending would of benefit from more time. The exposition was good, the middle was good(albeit a bit long) but the ending felt short and the predictable resolution left me wanting a bit more satisfying ending but I understand the limited time frame. 

The animation was weird at first but it takes a bit to get used to. The majority of the movie was taken place in either in a dark environment(low light) or a dull setting so some of the colors and background scenes with the mane 6 didn't match well. This is particularly different seeing it this way in a visual perspective from MLP:FiM. When there is good lighting though, the characters are well define and the colors shines no doubt. The special effects was okay, even if it was rendered in a visually different way from the characters but it still flows right enough without feeling too CGI and overpowered from the 2-D. The songs, while a bit generic is alright but the score/soundtrack is good emphasizing the "cinematic" feeling of the movie.

Pretty much the sights and sounds are a considerable gain and improvement from the show but the movie's mane character development, villians and story predictability has eventually brought me to more reasonable conclusion. 

• Like 1

Just watched it again. I saw it in theaters once and was waiting to get my own copy to view at a more leisurely pace.

There's a really great family movie in there somewhere, it just got crushed by the amount of scenery changes, character introductions, and mini-plotlines they crammed into the runtime. It could easily have been two films, and probably should have.

As it is, though, it's by no means bad. Quite enjoyable, even! But a lot of the things that save it from being mediocre are the same things that make you feel like there's a lot of missed potential if they had taken more time to focus more and flesh things out a bit rather than rush from new-friendship to new-friendship the whole time.

I get the point there; the idea is that by constantly making new friends even when you feel out of your element, you're building up the support network you need and contributing to the people around you at the same time, eventually reaching a point where you have enough friends to help you deal with anything. That message kind of gets lost in the execution, though, just because we spend about ten minutes per new group of characters before being hurried along to the next one.

• Like 2

Actually, I enjoyed it. Specially with Tempest Shadow's character and the facial expressions she does. That's just wicked and cool! Also, enjoyed the drama parts as well there. :3