Rainbow Swirl

Were you introduced to My Little Pony with Friendship is magic, Equestria girls, or the My Little Pony Movie.

MLP media  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What introduced you to MLP first.

• Equestria girls
    • Friendship is magic
    • MLP: The Movie
  2. 2. Which is your favorite

• Equestria girls
    • Friendship is magic
    • MLP: The Movie

I like Equestria girls best because it introduced not only the MLP Media to me but also a different dimension. Also, Sunshim is my Favorite character, Period. Also, Also, when I started to watch Equestria girls it was before friendship games and legend of everfree (everfree is my favorite out of the movies) and I had only watched 2 episodes, the first 2. Once I finally got around to watching the others I really love the show especially seasons 3 and 4.

I was introduced around 2012, before Equestria Girls was even a thing. Picking between the height of my enjoyment of Friendship is Magic and the height of my enjoyment of Equestria Girls is hard, but Friendship is Magic has more content I love. I don't distinguish that strongly between the two, however. 

I'll be surprised if there is a new fan that got introduced to the series by the movie. At least here on forums.

Anyway Friendship is Magic is what got me and is why I am still here. 

The funny thing is that I was first introduced to MLP by Friendship is Magic season 1 episode 2 at the time season 4 was being aired. It was the reformation of the episode's antagonist Nightmare Moon that sparked my attention and curiosity. After seeing all of episodes 1 and 2, I immediately liked the series. A bit off topic though, I actually got the impression from this that Celestia was captured by Nightmare Moon when I first watched the entire episodes. Now that I think of it, it is never said what exactly happened to Celestia ("She's gone!" - Rarity, after taking a look behind the curtains).

7 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

I'll be surprised if there is a new fan that got introduced to the series by the movie. At least here on forums.

Same. I know the movie resulted in new fans to the TV show, but I wouldn't expect them to be here on the forums yet. I have been a fan for awhile now, and I just became aware of these forums existing. TBH, I didn't even know of EQD until about a year or two after I became a brony.

I was introduced in a pretty convoluted way actually.  Truth be told, I watched the original G1 MLP when I was a kid (despite being male) and even saw My Little pony Tales as the episodes were premiering.  So to begin with I never had any prejudice ideas about MLP.  I was perfectly willing to check it out.  The how though, is where the convoluted part comes in.  Several years back (let's say late 2009 to somewhere in 2010) for whatever reason I suddenly remembered an old movie I had enjoyed called "The Last unicorn."  It interested me to know if others thought it was as good of a movie as I thought it was so I looked up a review and came across a YouTuber by the name of Hewy Lewis (later changed his name slightly to Hewy Toonmore).  I started watching his reviews of various animated movies for a while and perhaps a year later he did a crossover episode with another reviewer by the name of Hardcore Kid.  I enjoyed Kid's part in the episode and started watching his reviews as well.  Then, in the early summer of 2011 Kid decided to do something different.  He read a My little Pony fanfiction called 'Cupcakes'.  If you guys aren't familiar with the Cupcakes fic well... read at your own discretion.  It has quite the reputation let's just say.  For me, I couldn't get all the way through the story Kid read because it just got too much into the oddly gory details.  However, it did do two things.  First it made me aware that a new MLP series had been made and second, it introduced me to a term I had never heard before: Brony.  "What the heck is a brony?" I wondered.  Thus, I looked up the show and watched episode one (only the first season was released at the time).  It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I saw nothing wrong with it.  I went to bed (it was late), woke up early in the morning to go to work, and then while I was at work decided I should probably at least watch part 2 since the first episode ended with "to be continued."  And thus, over the course of the next three days I ended up watching the remainder of season 1 and discovered I liked it.  What's more, I found myself with an urge to write fanfiction again for the first time in at least ten years.  And the rest is history.

Edited by GWFan
fixed some typoes

4 hours ago, AnalyticalGamer said:

Same. I know the movie resulted in new fans to the TV show, but I wouldn't expect them to be here on the forums yet. I have been a fan for awhile now, and I just became aware of these forums existing. TBH, I didn't even know of EQD until about a year or two after I became a brony.

Most people are more likely to discover MLP Forums which are way more alive anyway and older. Also easier to find if you are looking for MLP forum. Equestria Daily serves more as MLP News Blog than anything else. I suspect most of activity is on Discord anyway but I am not in EQD group. 

Funny story I have.

Technically, the first time I was introduced to ponies by seeing a random episode on TV 2 or 3 times. However, that was the time when I was all skeptical and had my defenses raised and stuff. And then at certain point somepony put the full first EG movie on YouTube and...I watched it (for some reason). It was a half-baked experience however for these 2 reasons:

1. I started watching it from the point when Sunny was stealing Twilie's crown (I wasn't caring that much about it, I was just bored);

2. I skipped every single song (I used to be pretty "allergic" to musicals back then. I am still, but there are plenty of exceptions now, including ponies);

After that I forgot about it and moved on to other stuff. My mind got populated by ponies only in July 2014 when I decided to give FiM a try.

Why so much unnecessary details?

I have no idea! :HappyPinkie:

• Like 1

I am slightly older than Rescue at Midnight Castle. Hasbro's candy-colored ponies have been in the background of my life for quite some time, along with other colorful cartoon/toylines like Care Bears, Pound Puppies (the old one), ThunderCats, SilverHawks, etc.
However, I never paid any attention to MLP until FiM started taking over the interwebs in 2010-2011.

Looking back, it was kind of odd that as a very wee tyke I had a VHS of friggin' Star Fairies but no ponies whatsoever.

• Like 1

I have vague memories of watching G1 episodes with my sisters in the early '90s, so I guess that technically counts as my introduction to MLP.

I didn't really become a fan until I watched Friendship is Magic in early 2012, though.

I was introduced to MLP through Friendship is Magic back during the mid-season hiatus of Season 2 when "Hearth's Warming Eve" was the most recent episode and have been a fan ever since. I had been familiar with the MLP brand for a number of years by reputation, but it wasn't until FIM that I adopted any sort of interest. My earliest memories of acknowledging anything before that only refers to G3 and I don't recall them being very favorable.

Between the main series, Equestria Girls, and the movie, I definitely prefer the series. While the other two aren't bad (in most cases), the series is what I started with and the series is what keeps me coming back. The other two are fine, but I'd find it hard to believe that someone got into the series as a result of seeing either EQG or the movie first since the series has been around longer and has more potential to win over new fans due to how much more varied it is than most of EQG or the theatrical film.

45 minutes ago, Snide Ways said:

Does Generation 1 count? I used to watch it back in the 80s alongside Transformers and GI Joe. My first pony was Mirror Mirror.

Personally, I don't see why not. It wasn't excluded, after all. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

Buncha senior citizens in this thread!

Let's all Rascal down to the Old Bronies Home cafeteria for some flavorless mush that I call "root marm."

I'm not old.  I'm just vintage.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, ABronyAccount said:

Buncha senior citizens in this thread!

Let's all Rascal down to the Old Bronies Home cafeteria for some flavorless mush that I call "root marm."

In MY DAY...

Cell phones were the approximate size and shape of bricks! And all they could do was make phone calls. AND WE LIKED IT!

• Like 2