PinkiePie97

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Forgotten Friendship

Title: Forgotten Friendship

Synopsis: Sunset Shimmer is shocked to discover that she's been erased from her friends' memories and must search for the magic and the perpetrator who did such a dreadful deed.

Airs: Today at 12 P.M. on Discovery Family

As far as these things go, this one was at least tolerable, and while there's a lot of stuff I wasn't into here, especially around half of the jokes, I liked most of the stuff in Equestria, I thought the ending was kinda sweet, and I particularly liked the sympathetic turn from Trixie. I'm not really into the villain - if she kept erasing people's memories, why is she mad everybody kept forgetting her? - but I there's a nice moral, and I like how Sunset finally shows some continuity from her personality in the first film, which has the added effect of finally giving her meaningful flaws. There's a lot here that I've been wanting for a while now, but the actual main plot tying it all together was rarely more than moderately engaging to me. Could be worse. 

• Like 1

Kinda knew going in that this was going to be all about the feels. And it was. Very nearly shed some liquid pride in a few spot.

I really appreciated the character development for Trixie, since she didn't get a "Magic Duel" moment in this world.

Overall it was far better in my view than Movie Magic/Mirror Magic, with the antagonist being much more credible as well as more relatable, and with better pacing.

Maybe the pacing improvement was because it wasn't trying to get crammed into 22-minute segments like the previous two specials, but also didn't have to stretch out for 90 minutes like a full length movie. 45-60 minutes seems like the sweet spot for these kinds of stories.

NO STUDENT PARKING IN THE FACULTY LOT!

• Like 1

This was pretty great. Sunset Shimmer ultimately meets Celestia and she acknowledged her troubled past and ask Celestia for her forgiveness. This scene was really powerful and it shows how much Sunset has changed and to face her fears. Celestia's reaction was perfect and shows her how serious and yet light-hearted she is to forgive Sunset. Twilight being all nerdy and cute when the Princesses open the "restricted" section was to funny! I really like the faces Twilight make. Twilight was great in this short.

Trixie was quite a surprise here as she can eventually relate and help out Sunset and that further helps develop her character. I see how Trixie can really be a friend by opening up just kind of like how she did with Starlight in S6. She's getting along well and yet she's still has her charm and charisma.

I think Wallflower Blush is a endearing villain, whose purpose was to used the memory stone to erase people's memories about her flaws and eventually against Sunset's memories but how did she knew how to use the stone when she found it? It's not like she know how to read ancient pony language...I think that's the real mystery here :shock:

I enjoyed this more than the Summertime shorts and I like the increased continuity between the Pony and Human world. 

Overall, I thought the special was pretty good. By far the best part was Sunset reuniting with Celestia and the interactions between the two in Equestria thereafter. My one complaint though, is that I wish the special revealed from the beginning that it was Wallflower who took Sunset's memories and took time to show her on her own every once in a while mostly because it was obvious that she was the villain from the word "go" (I literally called out "She did it" when she started talking). I just would've preferred the special acknowledged how obvious it was that the audience would figure it out and ran with it instead of pretending like we'd have no idea who it was.

So I took a listen to SilverQuill's review of the special and I have to say that it made me appreciate it much more than I did after watching it the first time. I didn't think it was bad after watching it the first time, but I did feel it was just ok. Definitely making me look forward to the "Director's Cut" that'll be released on YouTube soon.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, Starlight said:

This is the moment we're all waiting for! 

1659635.gif

Would have liked a bit more time from it. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 9:43 PM, Thrond said:

Would have liked a bit more time from it. 

Definitely yes and it's worth every second. I hope for more Celestia and Sunset moments.