WanderPony

I'm having difficulty finding bronies who liked this movie

When I first saw the MLP movie in theaters, I absolutely loved it. It's probably my favorite thing to come out of the franchise. I thought it was funny and cute and creative and action-packed. Parts of it reminded me of older animated films from Disney and whatnot. It felt really good seeing a 2D-animated film on the big screen after missing out on The Princess and the Frog, and it felt like Studio Ghibli compared to the other cruddy animated films that year. I liked it so much I went and saw it a couple more times.

Unfortunately, it seems like only a small fraction of the fandom agree with me, as it seems like most of the bronies on Equestria Daily, deviantART, Derpibooru, YouTube, and even the MLP subreddit (generally considered the most positive brony community) thought it was a poorly-written mess. Most of other people's opinions on the movie vary from "mediocre" to "terrible". You won't believe how many times I've praised this movie only to be shot down by the other commenters. I swear, there's more people who like the Star Wars prequels than this movie!

I have the movie on DVD, but I'm afraid to rewatch it for the above-mentioned reasons. Is my taste in movies REALLY that poor? Now you know where my reputation as a Negative Nancy who ignores the positive part of the fandom came from.

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

Unfortunately, it seems like only a small fraction of the fandom agree with me, as it seems like most of the bronies on Equestria Daily, deviantART, Derpibooru, YouTube, and even the MLP subreddit (generally considered the most positive brony community) thought it was a poorly-written mess. Most of other people's opinions on the movie vary from "mediocre" to "terrible". You won't believe how many times I've praised this movie only to be shot down by the other commenters. I swear, there's more people who like the Star Wars prequels than this movie!

Honestly, I think it's the opposite. What happens is that people have a tendency of voicing negative opinions more often. So, the part of the fandom that doesn't like the movie is move vocal.

Also, I'll be more likely to remember when people disagree with you, as their opinions tend to sound more impactful than the ones that just agree. There is also another thing: when disagreeing, people usually expand on their opinions more commonly than when they simply agree.

Didn't Equestria Daily once make a poll about this? I'm pretty sure most votes were favorable to the movie.

• Like 3

Odd, I didn't see that many people that hated the movie. Think I saw more people that were offended by the critics reviews and were a bit dramatical about it. Movie also has glowing user scores so I wouldn't call people that liked it a minority unless that minority is quite large itself.

And even if 90% of the world hated it, so what? You liked it, that's all that matters. And hey I do like Star Wars prequels. 

• Like 4

Majority didn't like it? :haha:Nonono, my friend. It is mostly critics that did their finest too mix it up with mud.

Me personally? While it wasn't completely perfect, it was still great experience. Also, look at one of my banners to get the idea :3

9 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

And hey I do like Star Wars prequels. 

So do I! :D

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but I can see some  flaws. It was very entertaining and it opened new possibilities for the show which season 8 will bring about. I feel however that the Mane6 were out of character/ didn't get much acting. I feel the movie is disconnected from the show itself. Twilight can get annoyed but friends are ones that she doesn't let go(consider the show. Also if you're like me you liked the show for the actual meaningful impact it was written to have- to teach people the power of friendship. I feel a story was just pumped out without much heart and merely done as filler. But seriously don't stop yourself from watching because others say so- even Equestria Girls had a little less quality for writing but its still great nontheless. Again the Movie opens more options for season 8 with the whole seaponies and school of friendship(involving creatures outside Equestria). 

Speaking as someone who actually didn't like the movie on the first watch, I enjoyed the movie after subsequent watches personally and the majority of the fandom from what I've seen really liked the movie. If you liked the movie on first watch, more than likely you'll still like it on your second and on.

Plus, if there's anything I've learned from this fandom, it's that there's a different opinion on pretty much every new piece of media the staff releases be it an EQG movie, short, or new episode both good and bad. Again, speaking from experience, there's numerous episodes that seem to drive the fandom crazy that I'm pretty lukewarm towards personally. At the end of the day, what matters is how you feel about them.

It was good. Not without things that bugged me, but not bad by any means.

18 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

Plus, if there's anything I've learned from this fandom, it's that there's a different opinion...

Is not! You're wrong! I disagree with you!

• Like 2

Even if only a fairly small percentage of viewers liked the movie (say 10% to borrow from @Cinder Vel), that's still greater than 0%, which means it's still possible to find others that liked the movie.

If rewatching the movie on DVD gives you a good feeling, then I don't know why having that feeling would be a bad thing.

• Like 2

I loved it. Out of the people I went with to see it, the worst reaction I heard was "rushed but still enjoyable". The fact they made the movie to be accessible to people who haven't watched the show and still pulled off a very fun (and beautifully animated) story on a shoe-string budget, it was extremely well done.

• Like 1

Alright, here's an example of what I'm talking about.

A while back, I submitted a pony soapbox on EQD saying that the pony movie would become a cult classic in the future. After all, there are plenty of films that were poorly-received by critics when they were first released, but gained a following later on, and I felt the pony movie had enough passion and creativity to gain one of these.

Later, my soapbox was featured. Now, scroll down to the comments section. Notice something?

That's right. The TOP COMMENTS are saying that the movie is too poorly-written and cliched to gain a following, and go on to bash it. I'll say it again: the TOP COMMENTS. Not a vocal minority, or they wouldn't have so many upvotes.

See what I mean?

15 hours ago, WanderPony said:

Later, my soapbox was featured. Now, scroll down to the comments section. Notice something?

That's right. The TOP COMMENTS are saying that the movie is too poorly-written and cliched to gain a following, and go on to bash it. I'll say it again: the TOP COMMENTS. Not a vocal minority, or they wouldn't have so many upvotes.

See what I mean?

So?

That doesn't mean you can't think highly of it. And what are those "haters" going to do about it?

Just like you don't have to agree with the people who don't like the movie, you also don't have to agree with the people who are making comments about not liking the movie.

In a way, those upvotes aren't so different from the vocal minority because those votes are from the people who bother with the upvoting. Also, I don't know if downvoting a comment actually does anything.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 10:32 PM, WanderPony said:

A while back, I submitted a pony soapbox on EQD saying that the pony movie would become a cult classic in the future. After all, there are plenty of films that were poorly-received by critics when they were first released, but gained a following later on, and I felt the pony movie had enough passion and creativity to gain one of these.

See what I mean?

I think that most are in agreement that the movie was definitely not as good as the show (and even then I'm sure there's plenty of people who think it's just as good or even better than the show, that's just how fandoms work), but that still doesn't mean the movie was necessarily bad. It wasn't a masterpiece either, but it was at least enjoyable for the demographics it was meant for (both little kids and bronies).

And I took a look at the most upvoted comment and the replies that followed and the highest number I saw was 12 upvotes. That's nothing compared to the number of bronies I've seen who absolutely love this movie. To give an example, while I was at EQLA, the MLP Movie panel was damn near full, housing what was probably more than 100 people, and when Mike Vogel asked if the audience enjoyed the movie, the entire room cheered and applauded. Just based on that, I agree with you that the movie will be considered a cult classic, but another reason I think it'll last is because of another Hasbro movie that was releases to mixed reviews still remaining a cult classic among the fanbase and that's The Transformers The Movie. Of course, it got better mixed reviews than MLP (55% vs 47% respectively), but I've already mentioned in another thread that while I felt the movie could've been better, I do still feel that some of the critics were watching the film with a cynical eye and couldn't consider the movie to be at least passable because it couldn't stand up to things like Coco or The Lego Movie.

On 3/2/2018 at 7:32 AM, WanderPony said:

See what I mean?

Ok out of pure stupidity I decided to indulge you and examine this evidence. 

And here is the break down. Only the first top rated comment with 12 meager votes was "against MLP movie being Cult Classic", Not hatting it! But acknowledging that it isn't cult classic material by itself. Then the responses culminated into discussing the movie flaws, which most certainly exist. And you can admit that something you like is flawed, as few people that responded pointed out. And I agree with some of the things said and I don't think MLP Movie is going to be cult classic except as extension of MLP Gen 4 brand. 

The actual second and third top rated comments are disproving the "Gen 5 is just a rumor" topic. And well it isn't just a rumor, the leaked material is substantial and even without it gen 5 is logical thing to expect. 

Fourth top rated comment is a guy that responded to all topics. Incidentally he liked MLP Movie and does hope it will stand the test of time. 

I can go on but really I didn't encounter any toxic hate. Well besides some misanthropy from one of those type of fans that hates real world and wants to escape to Equestria. 

Now here is my counter argument to this threads topic. The title is "Having trouble finding bronies that liked this movie". Turns out all you had to do is make a thread here. Quite an easy thing to do. Not that it matters really, you shouldn't need validation of strangers anyway. 

• Like 3

To put this in perspective, even Disney's not-so-good films like The Black Cauldron and Home on the Range have followings. Same with Don Bluth's not-so-good films like Rock-a-Doodle and The Pebble and the Penguin.

According to the Equestria Daily commenters, the MLP movie is much MUCH worse than those films, and is on the same level of bad as FoodfightNorm of the North, and The Emoji Movie. That's how horrible my taste is.

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

To put this in perspective, even Disney's not-so-good films like The Black Cauldron and Home on the Range have followings. Same with Don Bluth's not-so-good films like Rock-a-Doodle and The Pebble and the Penguin.

According to the Equestria Daily commenters, the MLP movie is much MUCH worse than those films, and is on the same level of bad as FoodfightNorm of the North, and The Emoji Movie. That's how horrible my taste is.

That's a very small few. Again, it seems like the majority of bronies found the movie just fine. Yes, it has problems, but even the best movies do. No movie is perfect. In the end, all that matters is what you thought of the movie. Don't worry about what other people think, good or bad.

• Like 1

This movie is going to have a cult following, the same as Transformers:The Movie (1986) and The Last Unicorn (1982). I'm sure the Bronies of the future will keep this near and dear to their hearts and play it at conventions.

1 hour ago, Snide Ways said:

This movie is going to have a cult following, the same as Transformers:The Movie (1986) and The Last Unicorn (1982). I'm sure the Bronies of the future will keep this near and dear to their hearts and play it at conventions.

Agreed. I hope that there's a convention that'll play it with some of the movie staff on the panel to do a live commentary on it. That'd be great. Hell, it'd be great with certain members of the fandom. But then again, that's what the Bronies React will be for.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, WanderPony said:

In question "if the glass is half-full or half-empty" you seem to be on the side of "glass is completely empty". I ran out of idea how to convince you that plenty of people like the movie when you dismiss people who like the movie on this thread alone.  I have honestly seen more people that get unreasonably angry  if you dare to suggest MLP Movie is flawed, I have been even declared an enemy of MLP by a such fan (though because of a different topic).

Oh also I loved Black Cauldron and Rock-a-Doodle, had them on VHS tapes and watched frequently when i was kid. I should rewatch them again. It is nice to enjoy entertainment, that is the purpose of it.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

I have honestly seen more people that get unreasonably angry  if you dare to suggest MLP Movie is flawed,

From my experience, it's been the inverse. It's common on EQD and Reddit for me to praise it only to be shot down by the commenters.