8492nd

Did you stop trusting IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes?

At this point I've already stopped believing in them. Their ratings, their professional and fan criticisms are completely nonsensical and ridiculous.

I especially take issue with the first review you see when you first click on a movie. I loved Black Panther, but the first review I scrolled down to said it's completely illogically over-hyped and said it's no different from all the other superhero films to ever exist. On a BS scale of 1 to 10, this has a rank of infinite.

And for every movie I watched in my life, the freaking majority  of reviews on IMDB is so negative, and I especially hate the star rating system there. Especially after the MLP movie. Even the really good films like Interstellar have negative reviews for the majority.

I liked the movies I watched, even the direct-to-video ones. So there.

Have you also lost faith in these systems?

You gotta remember that IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes will often have very different opinions from you. What you may think is good, someone else will think is shit.

But my question is: Why does the IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes rating matter about films you have seen and liked? Surely it won't make you think that this film was bad, suddenly?

The rating systems are full of opinions. The reason why some are absurd and ridiculous is because of the following.

(1) There are those who tend to over criticize, especially when the film they watched did not go the way they wanted it to. Take Star Wars for example - it is hated by a lot because the developers did not chose to reveal Rey's parents even though the fans wanted them to. Therefore, because some fans already put standards and expectations on this film that were not fulfilled, the fans became angry leading them to express their negative feelings through the rating systems. The final result is a large amount of negative opinions, making the show look disappointing.

(2) Some people confuse opinions and facts. Therefore, when these people post a review on the rating systems, their reviews make the movie appear different than what it really is because they stated their opinion as a fact. Now this goes both ways - the one reading the review could take this as a fact even though it is an opinion; thus labeling the movie as inadequate and not worth it to watch.

(3) Some people can't express their feelings and opinions on the movie in a professional way. When another individual reads this review, this can result in many misinterpretations of the movie, the person, the opinion, etc.

These are a few reasons why some reviews on the rating systems are illogical and over-hyped. Not all reviews are like this though, and there are reviews that are very useful and legitimate.

3 hours ago, 8492nd said:

Have you also lost faith in these systems?

As indicated from my above points, we must be careful when utilizing these systems. With that being said, I shall give a few ways that will help you to use these stystems to your advantage.

(1) Learn to discern what is a opinion and what is a fact.

(2) Know the review's characteristics. example: is it illogical, biased, legitimate, professional, etc.? What is the reviewer trying to say? Then you read it with these in mind.

(3) Don't take opinions as facts, but do consider them. What offended the reviewer could also offend you; but what he thought was bad writing could be awesome writing to you.

(4) Don't take the negative reviews personally. If you can't stand all the hate, then these rating systems are not for you. People will hate - not a single movie has no haters.

(5) Don't base your final decision of whether or not you want to watch the movie on rating systems. Don't base your view on the movie using the rating systems.

If you do these things (you can add or take away, depending on the situation), they will help you get the best out of the rating systems.

Have I lost faith in these systems? No, but I don't completely rely on them either - sometimes I don't even look at them. What I do is base my decision on whether or not I personally think I should watch the movie (point 5).

2 hours ago, Nile Komnenos said:

But my question is: Why does the IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes rating matter about films you have seen and liked? Surely it won't make you think that this film was bad, suddenly?

If you read my entire post, you should have a good knowledge on this. But to answer your question directly - 

Why does the IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes rating matter about films you have seen and liked?

This depends on a lot of things. In a sense, it does matter and it doesn't.

Surely it won't make you think that this film was bad, suddenly?

It shouldn't make you think that. And going with the crowd is not always the only way and the right way to go. Yet people do it anyways.

• Like 1

To stop trusting I would need to first start. I never cared about either site. Never had any desire to check opinions of random people I don't know. 

I use Rotten Tomatoes as an aid to gauge movies that I'm on the fence about watching, or want to know more about. Scrolling through all the review summaries can give you an idea of what the movie's strengths and weaknesses are, and whether it would be a good match for you. It works on a pass/fail system though, which can reward mediocrity and punish quirky movies that took a few risks and had a few rough edges.

Imdb I only use when I want to know more about an actor.

@AnalyticalGamerWell the end story is now, it's all a chaotic mess for me now, especially with reviewing. All those films that I really liked back then, people have had less positive feelings towards them today.

But my feelings have NEVER changed. Must I be lampooned for simply watching a movie for therapeutic purposes or for the sake of watching it all the while choosing to never reviewing even one second or aspect of it? My answer is no.

And what's your answer?

1 hour ago, 8492nd said:

But my feelings have NEVER changed. Must I be lampooned for simply watching a movie for therapeutic purposes or for the sake of watching it all the while choosing to never reviewing even one second or aspect of it? My answer is no.

I agree with your answer. You don't need to review every movie you watch, nor do you need to review movies at all. People shouldn't lampoon you for that, and they also shouldn't lampoon you for simply watching a movie. Lampooning seems to be an unethical way of criticizing someone or something, so I believe this method should not be utilized at all.

• Like 1

personally I don't use those sites

@AnalyticalGamer  i agree Lampooning is a terrible way to interact with someone just because what they don't like the movie you do?

or like a movie you don't?

i'd say that's their thing if they don't like it fine if they do that's fine as well

everybody's different

I've seen more drama and meltdowns break out over things like movies before its not worth it

On 3/1/2018 at 4:16 AM, AnalyticalGamer said:

I agree with your answer. You don't need to review every movie you watch, nor do you need to review movies at all. People shouldn't lampoon you for that, and they also shouldn't lampoon you for simply watching a movie. Lampooning seems to be an unethical way of criticizing someone or something, so I believe this method should not be utilized at all.

And what you said for movies also applies to watching tv shows? Like me with pony when it instantly clicked with me years ago? And especially when I didn't have to listen to all the hate and drama nowadays?

5 hours ago, 8492nd said:

And what you said for movies also applies to watching tv shows?

Yes, what I said about movies is also legitimate for TV shows.

When it comes to ratings or reviews, I don't even go to any of these websites. Well, I do go to IMDB, but just to see the list of Cast and Crew of that movie. :-|