MoltenKitten

Need help picking computer parts

I plan on saving up to build a computer but the problem is I have no idea about computers. I want to build a computer that can play modern games at minimum 30fps while recording. I will also need all the other stuff (Keyboard, mouse, monitor) and a headset which picks up as little background sound as possible. If you show the total price that would be helpful.

48 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

What "modern games" do you wish to play?

There's the million dollar question.

"Modern games at minimum 30fps while recording" is horribly vague. There's a difference between something like Overwatch and The Witcher 3, which mind you are both "modern games".

22 hours ago, MoltenKitten said:

I will also need all the other stuff (Keyboard, mouse, monitor) and a headset which picks up as little background sound as possible. If you show the total price that would be helpful.

The Mouse and Keyboard you'll have to look up yourself and pick a pair that works for you and whose look you like.

General rule of thumb is to avoid Razer stuff and marketing crap like "Gaming", "Extreme" or "Ultra", huge DPI numbers etc... Optical mice are generally better than Laser mice, Mechanical keyboards often feel better than Membrane keyboards (people say they feel spongy) but Membranes aren't horrible either. 

Headphones fall within that category, you want to do a bit of research there's Open Headphones, Closed Headphones, Surround Headphones etc.. But you usually need to look for ones that are sturdy and have good audio quality and / or Mic. However ones with mics tend to sacrifice in other departments and you should look for an external mic if you want good quality. Generally your headphones should have a frequency response between 20 hz and 20 000 hz anything above or bellow those is inaudiable and a complete waste of energy unless you're a dog or whale or something.

As for the monitor anything of decent size that works on HDMI or DVI would work unless you're super into competitive gaming and really need a 144hz Monitor or want to make a multi-monitor setup. You'd have to look and compare different monitors while they're working to figure out which one's image you like more. 

You need to do some research behind most of this stuff so I'd recommend LinusTechTips, the good folks over at /r/BuildAPC can always answer your questions if no one here can, Logical Increments's PC part buying guide is a great place to get a good idea of most of the current relevant builds and their prices.

• Like 1

Here, to push things along I'll give what an ideal setup would be like.
I'm not sure about the new cards and how they'll apply, but at this time this is the cheapest ideal setup I can think of.

-A high tier i5 processor with LGA 1151 chipset (Like the 6600, non-k series. [k means overclocking, non-k means not.])

-A high tier graphics card (I would recommend the GTX 970, but I heard the rx 480 is going to be pretty cheap in the future, once it goes below its MSRP).

-8 GB DDR4 RAM, DDR3 RAM is pointless at this time, it's the same price as DDR4.

-1TB Hard Disk Drive and 128GB+ Solid State Drive. Install the Operating System on the SSD.

-EVGA 500W or 600W Power Supply.

-A cheap case.

-An LGA 1151 compatible motherboard.

Some things can be fudged to decrease price, or can be found on Ebay.

• Like 1

Also to put into perspective, my rig, which has an i7, SSD, superclocked GTX 980, soundblaster sound card, 4 fans, liquid cooling, quality speakers, keyboard, and mouse cost me less than 2,000$ (minus the case which was found by my dad)

Getting a good rig can relatively inexpensive if you build it yourself, my rig can run pretty much everything on max setting at around 60fps or more. (I've hit over 200 on Warframe max settings before)

3 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

What "modern games" do you wish to play?

And what exactly is your budget that way we can find you the perfect match.

Anything made this decade I want to be able to play at 30fps, I can't think of any specifics other than War Thunder and Iracing

I don't have a budget really, I just want it as cheap as possible and still fit my needs

If you need any help with building a system, I'm your guy. Any budget can be worked with.

23 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

The Mouse and Keyboard you'll have to look up yourself and pick a pair that works for you and whose look you like.

General rule of thumb is to avoid Razer stuff and marketing crap like "Gaming", "Extreme" or "Ultra", huge DPI numbers etc... Optical mice are generally better than Laser mice, Mechanical keyboards often feel better than Membrane keyboards (people say they feel spongy) but Membranes aren't horrible either. 

I own Razer products, and its totally not a marketing scheme on their peripherals. Yeah sure their laptops are overrated, but the Blackwidow with it's mechanical keys feels amazing to any other keyboard I've owned, and the Mamba's adjustable click force mouse buttons are perfect to give me instantanious response times.

Not everything they make is a scheme, but you should pick a mouse/keyboard that you like the look of, and the key type you'll be comfortable with feeling/pressing. The mouse as well with how you have you grip it is personal preference as well. Thermaltake mice/keyboards were what I used before moving up to mechanical and Razer.

I've used Logitech products for quite some time, and have little to no issues with their products.

I personally use a G710+, but their membrane keyboards are just fine. Don't get a mechanical keyboard if you're looking for a budget keyboard (unless you can score one for cheap).

And I can't stand extra buttons on mice, but that's just a personal quirk of my own. I use a basic Logitech left right and scroll wheel wireless mouse, because I like my mice small and simplistic. (The model number is M185, here's a picture)

For a headset, I used to use Turtle Beach X12s, but I've had two pairs break on me at the same location, so I've got a pair of HyperX Cloud IIs coming in the mail (tomorrow actually!), but unfortunately the pink one wasn't on sale. ;-;

I'm personally using a mix of peripherals right now, mostly stuff I've bought during sales and out of necessity. Next upgrade to this setup will probably be a new Keyboard though, Corsair's ones look really nice ones so I'm looking forward to that. Current setup is an X7 G800V keyboard from A4tech, that's been soldiering for over 6-7 years now, a G9-Kago mouse from A+ Gaming and a G938 headset from SOMIC. I had two previous headphone pairs break in the same spot, even used the first broken set to fix the second but that didn't last long. 

It's not horribly fancy and more of a budget setup but honestly it works for me.

I was givin this build suggestion. Anywhere I can sacrifice and still get my desired settings or I need to improve?

Sales going on now don't matter because I don't have the money atm and I plan on buying the parts over the coming months

Do not get a 970. The RX 480 has been confirmed to perform better than the 970 for a cheaper price. If you do want to stick with NVidia though, go with the 1060, 1070, or 1080. The 1060 is on par with the 970 for a frame of reference.

As Radioactive said, you can get a cheaper case as long as it is ATX Motherboard compatible. (Something like this would work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353061&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=)
You can also cut down on the power supply, and get a Bronze standard if you want, but they're less reliable. I personally use a Bronze standard Corsair for my PC with no issues.

Also, GET AN SSD. It doesn't matter what size, as long as it is 32GB+ with SATA III or PCI-Express interface. (M.2 Drives would be the best bet for your system, but they are pricier than standard). Installing your operating system on this will make your PC run much smoother and faster.

• Like 1

Build looks solid, aside from the GPU.  Do NOT buy the old-gen cards, for the love of all things holy in silicon!

The case does seem rather expensive too, Nova's suggestions are very good for alternatives and if you don't pick that case or buy an Nvidia card, make sure you pick one large enough to fit your GPU in. Don't be dumb like me and buy a ATX Delux case thinking it would fit a full sized GPU, boy do I have an annoying time getting this thing out now.

Sorry to brake the chain, but what is the best desktop setup that can cope with gaming and graphics software? I've currently got sketchbook 2011 running on Samsung laptop and I have budget of £1000. I'm unsure to start with the monitor or the desktop itself? Thank you.

6 hours ago, I'veBeenCalledE said:

Sorry to brake the chain, but what is the best desktop setup that can cope with gaming and graphics software? I've currently got sketchbook 2011 running on Samsung laptop and I have budget of £1000. I'm unsure to start with the monitor or the desktop itself? Thank you.

Make a new thread that way we can help both of you individually, we would be glad to help.

7 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Make a new thread that way we can help both of you individually, we would be glad to help.

A PC Workshop and Support thread, hey that's actually a pretty good idea. That'll contain the help requests into one thread and we can compile a list of useful reads for people building a new rig.

• Like 1

Also anyone making a build these days may want to hold off on making budget builds until AMD's 460 and 470 cards are out. Those pair boast an Entry level GPU for $99 and a mid-tier for $150. 460's seem to be targeted for the niche of the older R9 280x cards and the 470's seem to be aiming at the R9 285 and R9 270's turf. 

So far there's only specs on these since no one has a board to run benchmarks but here are the specs for both of em.

(The RX 470 seems to have 4GB of memory while the 460 has 3GB, these aren't stated on the specs images however the press release confirmed them.)

RX470.jpg

RX460.jpg