Sign in to follow this  
SonataDusk

PAYDAY 2: Ask anything, learn everything

Payday 2 seems to have gotten really popular recently, mostly due to it's release on Xbox One and Playstation 4 a couple months ago and a recent Steam sale. As always happens with such events, there are people who have absolutely no clue what to do. Perhaps you, the reader, are one of these people. If that is the case, don't feel bad. Payday 2 has a lot of little nuances that are not immediately apparent, and do take some teaching from someone with experience to understand. I am one of these people, and one of the few who will not instantly kick you if you join my lobby at level 0. If you want to get more into Payday 2 and know more about skills, weapons, and job strategies, you can contact me here or on Steam, and we can set up a lobby for you to learn with other nubbites like yourself. I only play on PC, but if you are a console player who wants to learn, I will also be live streaming the sessions on Twitch.tv/Dandyecho.

What I teach you will depend on what you want to know. Mics are not mandatory, but feel free to use it if you have one. Best times for me to get on are Friday and Saturday evenings EST. Reply if you are interested.

EDIT: I've set up a Discord server for when this gets going.

Edited by SonataDusk

I picked up Payday 2 on the steam sale, and the start was really rocky, but through youtube tutorial videos and just plain trying out, I think I got a nice footing into the game. And Jiro is awesome. I'd certainly be up to playing if you or other people in this community is tired of having to play with randos who either grief for the lulz or are just unpleasant to deal with.

I'm not exactly a scrub (Infamy 6), but I have next to no experience in Stealthing most of the new heists (Golden Grin and The Alesso Heist being a couple of them.) Don't suppose I could pick up some tips and tricks too, eh?

I'm not exactly a scrub (Infamy 6), but I have next to no experience in Stealthing most of the new heists (Golden Grin and The Alesso Heist being a couple of them.) Don't suppose I could pick up some tips and tricks too, eh?

Honestly, I think the stealth in Payday 2 is both boring and frustrating. You spend the majority of your game time sitting on your thumbs waiting for guards to walk in a certain direction, which is totally out of your control. I don't have any stealth wisdom, sorry. Loud is where the class and weapon diversity is, and it's much more interesting.

Edited by SonataDusk

As someone who hasn't really played Payday 2 that much (Am level 44 but around 25 hours in the game so far and can do some missions on hard, very few on very hard), what would you say are essential things to ace in the skill trees? That and which skill tree would you personally advise for someone newer? I personally like Mastermind and Technician, but the Iron Man perk under Enforcer seems too good to pass up.

Honestly, I think the stealth in Payday 2 is both boring and frustrating. You spend the majority of your game time sitting on your thumbs waiting for guards to walk in a certain direction, which is totally out of your control. I don't have any stealth wisdom, sorry. Loud is where the class and weapon diversity is, and it's much more interesting.

Ha, never have truer words been spoken! I agree that Loud is where the majority of fun is in this game and Stealth is literally relying on pot luck that a guard won't be looking you in the eyes the moment you turn a corner. Still, I love experimenting with Loud builds, and I've been contemplating attempting to build a pure melee skill build focused on Jiro's Shinsakuto Katana. Chopping up Cloakers still isn't getting old. :3

As someone who hasn't really played Payday 2 that much (Am level 44 but around 25 hours in the game so far and can do some missions on hard, very few on very hard), what would you say are essential things to ace in the skill trees? That and which skill tree would you personally advise for someone newer? I personally like Mastermind and Technician, but the Iron Man perk under Enforcer seems too good to pass up.

For most, if not all builds, you'll want to ace Endurance in the Mastermind tree, Transporter in the Enforcer tree and Sprinter and Fast Hands and in the Ghost tree, if at all possible. These are your basic bread-and-butter skills that just make your heisting life easier.

As for skill trees to start with, I'd recommend Mastermind and Enforcer. Most of the Technician's skills are context-sensitive at best, with the really useful skills restricted to Tier 6. It's not worth the skill points to reach them until your comfortable with building your skill trees for specific heists. Turrets are really bad unless you focus on them, and Trip Mines are better used as C4 Charges to blow doors open, once you've gotten Shaped Charge Aced.

Iron Man can be an excellent investment. However, since it's a Tier 6 skill it requires some building around it to maximize effectiveness. You won't be able to run around the map anywhere near as fast, but you'll be soaking up damage like a sponge. Here's a basic MasterForcer build which focuses on Shotguns and Iron Man (It's DLC free too, in case you don't have any): 

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSNMHJFCDa:erokLHIjEFgDa:tda:ghECda:fbda:pM8::w41-19-35-14-1-5-10-8-44-39:s37-26-38-23-19-7-47-43-1-15:a7

Hope it gives you an idea or two as to what you want to focus on. Feel free to edit the build as you see fit. Happy Heisting. :3

Ha, never have truer words been spoken! I agree that Loud is where the majority of fun is in this game and Stealth is literally relying on pot luck that a guard won't be looking you in the eyes the moment you turn a corner. Still, I love experimenting with Loud builds, and I've been contemplating attempting to build a pure melee skill build focused on Jiro's Shinsakuto Katana. Chopping up Cloakers still isn't getting old. :3

I've made a build like that with low blow and sneaky bastard. It is as dope as you think. 

You can't go wrong with Mastermind skills, since a lot of them focus on keeping you and your team alive. Enforcer skills are the most straightforward combat skills, but there are a handful of Ghost skills I would say to always take before anything else. These aren't the stealth focused ones. Sprinter Ace for much higher sprint speed, fast hands for faster bagging, and shinobi basic for fast walk and crouch speed. The total is 10 points out of a possible 120, so it is always worth having those. 

Yeah, I think I'm gonna invest in Mastermind first since I tend to play alone and it would help loads to be able to revive people from afar. That and I'm honestly fine with using the Combined Tac Vest till I can get the ICTV

Edited by Sacred

Shinobi basic for fast walk and crouch speed.

Run and Gun is better to me than Shinobi because it works for both Stealth and Loud. I can only see Shinobi be useful in full stealth or dodge builds. 

As for starting skills i'll add Transporter (at least basic). It's never nice to get downed next to a cover because that bag of gold was slowing you too much. You'll also want Stun Resistance Aced later for OVK and DW loud heists.

Run and Gun is better to me than Shinobi because it works for both Stealth and Loud. I can only see Shinobi be useful in full stealth or dodge builds. 

As for starting skills i'll add Transporter (at least basic). It's never nice to get downed next to a cover because that bag of gold was slowing you too much. You'll also want Stun Resistance Aced later for OVK and DW loud heists.

It really does depend on what kind of build you're running. Run & Gun is a general 10% speed increase overall, while Shinobi, as it has already been stated, only increases your walking and crouch-walking speed, ergo it's only ever in effect in these cases. If you're going to spend a lot of time crouching or carrying heavy loot then Shinobi is something worth investing in, as you'll spend more time walking or crouching than sprinting. Shinobi also doesn't seem to register on armor stats while Run & Gun does. It's theorized that since Run & Gun is constantly active, while Shinobi isn't it doesn't register on armor stats.

Either way, I tend to pick up the both of them for most of my builds, as it SEEMS that they stack (Don't quote me on that, it just feels that way for me), and I spend a lot of time alternating between crouch-walking and pegging it between cover points. Having both ensures that maximum movement speed is maintained at all times, plus the basic versions are only one point in their respective trees. Nice skills to spend any straggling skill points on.

You'll be carrying stuff, it's only one point, and it does in fact stack with run and gun. Plus if you run out of stamina from all that sprinting, the drastic slowdown will be very awkward. 

Yeah, I think I'm gonna invest in Mastermind first since I tend to play alone and it would help loads to be able to revive people from afar. That and I'm honestly fine with using the Combined Tac Vest till I can get the ICTV

If ICTV isn't an option, just do a dodge build or use grinder. You'll be faster, and staying alive will be easier. If you do run ICTV, make sure you use armorer and bulletproof. It will bring you up to 314 armor, and if you ace bulletproof then your regen delay is 1.5 seconds.

Ah, good old Payday 2. First time posting here so Greetings good folks of FiG.

I'm with the op on this, a lot of new people have come in over the last few sales and free weekends, and Payday's a game with a lot of.. kinks one has to learn. I too would be willing to lend a hand/hoof/drill/shaped charge/where am I going with this?! in teaching the ins and outs of Heisting...  PC player here but I'd be happy to help or answer any questions regardless, it's the same game on all platforms anyway. One of my friends managed to rub a habit of his off on me and I find myself playing the low difficulty missions a lot recently, seeing if I can help any of the new players out. Either way, hit me or the OP up ( I'm almost always on Steam) or send me a message here if you need any help, I'll be around through most of the month until my semester starts.

Cheers

qFtflv9.png

The man who you see before you is the leader of the Zensekai crew of PAYDAY 2.

I am currently Infamous XV with 280 Achievements earned in the game thus far. I leave no man hanging. As a harbinger of death, I bring down punishment upon the corrupt law enforcers of DC and make sure that no man is left behind. With my SUB-2000 and Colt 1911 in tow, I bring upon fear and respect to the law here, and with that, the fellow respect of my crew who I look after.

Ok, with shameless self-plugins aside, I've been playing this game A LOT since the Infamy update and with the new GenSec Enemy coming out tomorrow, it's my duty to make sure everyone is in tip-top shape for the trials ahead. I am very well experience and versed in the game, so you to, can seek me for guidance and help.

If you become a part of my crew I will:

1. Give you the tips and skills you need to become a powerful heister.
  2. Show you some sneaky-beaky tricks for some Stealth Missions (but not always as I to hate stealth).
  3. Insure that 98% of our missions are a success.
  4. Never leave you behind in battle (I almost always have Inspired ACED).
  5. Make you watch in awe as the law enforcers fall by my Katana and my SUB-2000 Carbine (and any other guns I decide to play around with).
  6. Choose any mission of any difficulty you like; Advantage of having over $160 Million offshore money.
  7. Level you up quickly, so that you can catch up with the best of us and hit Infamy! (And make you a ton of money in the process

So don't delay now. Hit me up on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tokidokipanic

I look forward to heisting with you soon.