8492nd

Do you still like Celestia?

I'm aware of people getting satisfied that Celestia is having her own episodes.

But then again, some of these people are SORT OF satisfied.

I don't know much about Celestial Advice or Royal Problem or Horse Play.

But I've been seeing accusations that after 7-8 years of waiting for her to be in the spotlight, she's treated like sh(yay)t.

Her being OOC or her being treated as trash or just being downright disrespected. Or whatever accusations they have.

So which is true: the accusations of her being written like sh(yay)t or is the opposite true: more of her character  being revealed, more time given to her, all of this makes her more likeable now?

Whichever the case, do you still like her?

Celestia is my favorite character in the cartoon. Period.

A lot of it is because I think that the character could be much more than what the official material do with her, with some more creativity and passion. At the same time, I really like her in the cartoon because, I feel that maybe it's the best that the producers can do with her, for whatever reasons.

Considering that I see Celestial Advice and Royal Problem as bad episodes for her, specifically, I have watched Horse Play and I felt, even an incomplete, crappy version of the episode, did wonders for most of my complaints about her. Though, kinda. Still, I can't wait to see the episode in all its glory.

The problem is that Celestia is built as too much, should be much more and I don't think that the cartoon can keep up. Or that the fandom as a whole, or the producers care about it.

As far as personality is concerned, I think all Celestia needs are a few chances to show some greatness, competence and presence, in a story that is about her, not one where she's serving the stage for another character. The problem is that they made her too complicated: she's a teacher, a ruler and has an important duty to the whole world, but all the time, these roles are minimized and the skill and attributes she'd need to do all that she does are almost ignored. Teaching is more than sending piles of books to be read, ruling a nation is more than pointing at problems and expecting people to fix problems, and her power to raise the sun is more important than the cartoon gives her credit and the sun shouldn't be optional, like a certain episode implies unintentionally.

Not to mention that her lack of a distinctive magic, like Luna's dreamwalk is very disappointing to me.

All in all, I'm pretty glad with what I've seen, but there is room for improvement. Regardless of her being my favorite character. What the cartoon needs is an episode that gives consequences to a situation where she's gone, because I don't think the cartoon is likely to let Celestia actually do something important.

I haven't seen anything from season 8.

"Celestial Advice" was really kind of a tepid half-step. It let her show a little bit of personality, complete with the implication that she actually has had nuanced emotions about what she's done in the past, but she's still overwhelmingly the authoritative mentor figure which the prior seasons depict her as - closer to something relatable, but still heavily restricted to her role. 

"A Royal Problem" was a much bigger step in the right direction, allowing her to step out of the roles expected of her and actually operate as a regular person with flaws and frustrations in addition to anxieties. It's a bit too overstuffed to have her really stretch her wings, but it's way more personality than she's been afforded in 90% of other episodes. 

The Equestria GIrls short "Forgotten Friendship" is a bit of a step backwards, I think, but that's mostly because of the pacing, and it at least emphasized Celestia's sense of humour. 

Other episodes I felt did decent things with Celestia: "A Bird in the Hoof," "The Best Night Ever," "Make New Friends but Keep Discord"

18 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

Nope. She's lost all my respect and trust over the seasons. And she's become a downright joke.

Then good. Forget she ever existed.

Go smash a figure of her and post the pic here so you can further cement your new hate of her.

And I knew all along that you'll never be satisfied with her. Fucking EVER. Go smash whatever figures you have of her or similar vice versa to further confirm your frustrations towards her and the writers whom you say treat her shittily.

Calm down 8492nd, you asked for opinions, he gave you one.

I liked what Celestia could've been because she seems very kind yet mysterious and capable of kicking ass since she's an alicorn, but that's not what happened in the show. Actually, I watched the show initially because I liked what it could've been as well, but that's for another time.

And I do think the show disrespects her or treats her like trash as pretty much every 2-part episode has done so far. She never gets to contribute anything to the solution outside of some small instances, and I even find the idea of her being extremely helpful in those small instances dubious. Anything she does in the 2-part episodes is to show how bad a situation is or another villain is, which loses impact after getting abused too often. If anything, the show is more interested in showing what she can't do instead of what she can do. That wouldn't be so bad if the incompetence and uselessness were intentional, but she's portrayed as so useless that I don't know how she gets anything done. And I then don't know why the show, especially Twilight, puts her on a pedestal. Maybe that's supposed to be a joke, but that's not what has been suggested from the show.

Her season 7 episodes haven't helped her and, if anything, only brought up more questions that most likely won't be answered.

Maybe season 8 will reveal more parts of her character, but any positive stuff season 8 brings up will just make her a completely different character because the show previously would much rather

And I don't know how the show plans to somehow tie all those parts of Celestia together because I honestly doubt the creators know how they go together.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:11 AM, Metemponychosis said:

The problem is that they made her too complicated: she's a teacher, a ruler and has an important duty to the whole world, but all the time, these roles are minimized and the skill and attributes she'd need to do all that she does are almost ignored.

I don't agree with the show making her too complicated. The show really has no idea what to do with her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Number95 said:

I don't agree with the show making her too complicated. The show really has no idea what to do with her.

I don't particularly care about Celestia (or anyone in this show, for that matter) kicking ass, which might be part of why I liked her season 7 episodes (well, okay, just "A Royal Problem") more than you did, but I do agree that the show has often not seemed to have much of an idea of what to do with her. Not that they necessarily need to do that much with her, given that she is a secondary character, but still, it's irritating that she took so long to even get that much time just acting like a person rather than a plot device. 

1 hour ago, Number95 said:

Let me try again. I meant in the context of what the show seems willing to do with her.

I feel like every Celestia fan must watch Horse Play when it comes out (as much as anyone who simply likes the cartoon), but you get my meaning. It paints a pretty decent picture of what their idea of Celestia is and how she fits in the show. If one already likes her, this episode is going to give them good reasons to, and if one feels dissatisfied with what the cartoon is doing with her, then it, at least tries to do right by her, as a character.

It's not perfect, as far as I'm concerned, but it's much better than what she usually gets.

Edited by Metemponychosis

1 hour ago, Thrond said:

I don't particularly care about Celestia (or anyone in this show, for that matter) kicking ass, which might be part of why I liked her season 7 episodes (well, okay, just "A Royal Problem") more than you did, but I do agree that the show has often not seemed to have much of an idea of what to do with her. Not that they necessarily need to do that much with her, given that she is a secondary character, but still, it's irritating that she took so long to even get that much time just acting like a person rather than a plot device. 

I don't mind if the show doesn't have ponies kicking ass, but when it does its 2-parters frequently and misuse its characters, that's when I get pissed off because the episodes then lack sincerity. I do think her appearances in "Celestial Advice" and "A Royal Problem" are better than what she has been given before, but better doesn't mean good.

And I don't mind that she's a secondary character, but it's stupid that the show puts her on a pedestal while never following through. If they didn't want to do anything with her, then why bother with her at all? There are few things I hate more than wasted potential, and wasted potential is the first thing I think of with MLP:FIM.

1 hour ago, Metemponychosis said:

Let me try again. I meant in the context of what the show seems willing to do with her.

In that case, you're right.

10 hours ago, Number95 said:

There are few things I hate more than wasted potential, and wasted potential is the first thing I think of with MLP:FIM.

This bit I definitely agree with. Celestia’s power is not something which really matters to me, but at the very least giving her something to do could make those two-parters less formulaic. 

to me I think celestia is an alright character

that sense of mystery is intriguing in my opinion

She's my favorite princess. Her personality is so warm, golden and rich, just like her element. If "A Royal Problem" is any indication, Tia fans are going to have lots to look forward to.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, 8492nd said:

Then good. Forget she ever existed.

Go smash a figure of her and post the pic here so you can further cement your new hate of her.

Okay, you're at a ten. Bring it down several notches. And as others said, you asked for opinions. I am not sorry nor really caring if my not liking Celestia upsets you so.

So the end decision is she should be killed off, so people and you won't have to put up with writers screwing her up like you say. What's the point of improving her since everyone, and I mean everyone knows that not a single sh*t's given about her.

@Thrond@Number95@Metemponychosis

I assume, no, I know that you've had it with MLP doing 8 years of wasting potential. Then I hope you left it for good and see it as garbage now. I really do hope so.

woah woah woah dude

do you mind calming it down a bit?

I mean really come on now

all they did was give their honest to goodness thoughts on Celestia

that's all good grief

you're jumping to conclusions before looking at things from both points of view

• Like 1

Celestia's still wise and powerful in my fanfiction   : (

She gets Worfed super hard in the show, though. I think she does it on purpose to let Twilight develop and learn to stretch her own wings, which are things that she now has, as an alicorn (what??). But we don't see a lot of evidence for her being an ancient, godlike being. She's more like Twilight's fun aunt. Spike is more powerful than modern-day Celestia.

As a character she's fine. I don't hate her. I just want to see her do something epic once in a while.

For example.  

3 hours ago, 8492nd said:

So the end decision is she should be killed off, so people and you won't have to put up with writers screwing her up like you say. What's the point of improving her since everyone, and I mean everyone knows that not a single sh*t's given about her.

I assume, no, I know that you've had it with MLP doing 8 years of wasting potential. Then I hope you left it for good and see it as garbage now. I really do hope so.

How high is your blood pressure, exactly?

6 hours ago, 8492nd said:

Mind telling me why you've jumped to such extreme conclusions? 

On 3/9/2018 at 8:25 AM, Thrond said:

This bit I definitely agree with. Celestia’s power is not something which really matters to me, but at the very least giving her something to do could make those two-parters less formulaic. 

You really don't feel the need to see a non-Twilight alicorn zap a bad guy? :P

7 hours ago, 8492nd said:

Just remember how you interpret and handle other people's opinions is up to you, but I'll still answer.

I can't think of anything they could do at this point to improve her. They could kill her off, but that will only highlight how wasteful the writers are. They could instead make more episodes where she actually gets to be a character instead of a plot device and give viewers some insight into her, but her unintentionally negative appearances are still stuck with her. So I don't know how they plan to reconcile her intended image with those past appearances.

The "better" and my preferred option would be to give her more appearances where she gets to do something meaningful to the episode, but it's still ultimately too late. Her poor appearances wouldn't have been so bad if the writers actually addressed this issue in-universe, and that option could even have made for a number of good stories.

5 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

She gets Worfed super hard in the show, though. I think she does it on purpose to let Twilight develop and learn to stretch her own wings, which are things that she now has, as an alicorn (what??). But we don't see a lot of evidence for her being an ancient, godlike being. She's more like Twilight's fun aunt. Spike is more powerful than modern-day Celestia.

The constant "worfing" makes Twilight's effectiveness inauthentic since it's really just Princess Celestia looking bad to make Twilight look good.