Do you still like Celestia?

13 hours ago, 8492nd said:

Why don't you just leave off?

You're now in my perma-ignore list.

GB 4ever

Why don't you not twist everyone else's opinions/arguments into the worst possible meaning? Why don't you  accept that others have differing opinions of Celestia? Why don't you not make inflammatory topics?

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 3:51 AM, 8492nd said:

Because I know you will beat every argument that I can think of with your "superior" skills.

Hay, everyone's got to start somewhere. Maybe you can't craft a convincing argument to back up your feelings because you prefer not to try? It can be a vicious cycle, feeling inferior at something, so you don't do that thing because it makes you feel bad to fail at it, and then you never get any better because you're not getting any practice. Even if you say you don't like to analyze anything, I think you'd be happier if you figure out why you feel the way you do about something, and articulate it to other people. Then you're not at the mercy of other people's opinions anymore! Because you've got understanding and confidence in yourself.

So, why not try examining your gut response to Princess Celestia for starters? I like Celestia because... she's a just and fair monarch? She has a comforting presence? She's a very pretty horse? Subjective things such as likes and dislikes would be a good place to start, because nobody can "disprove" why you like something.

You: I like Celestia.

Me: Why?

You: I don't know. I just do.

Me: Well, I think she's lost all credibility since the writers keep Worfing her, and now she's a joke.

You: I don't know what that word means, and I don't think she's a joke.

Me: Well, to each his own, I guess. You're not much fun to debate, but I respect your opinion.

And that's how it goes in a civil conversation! Which is the only kind worth having.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, Metemponychosis said:

What is an artificial alicorn princess? Are you implying that Celestia and Luna are different from Twilight?

In a sense, yes. I mean artificial in the sense of earning alicornship through some princess worthy feat, and not being born that way. I am not implying that Celestia and Luna are different; however, I personally think they are. 

I think we cannot argue any further; or me at least, because I see no purpose in it. I see the logic in believing what you believe about Celestia, and you have made really convincing points. You haven't made me turn against Celestia being great, but you have reminded me of my forgotten (ignored really) disappointment regarding Celestia. I think she could and should be better, but I am content with what we have right now. I actually came to this post thinking that everyone is wrong with their interpretation that Celestia is a bad character and they went way too far with it, but I seem to have become aware of my mistakes; thus, my purpose is lost. Furthermore, if I did persist in arguing, it would just be a matter of opinion.

I do have one question though - has it always been just a matter of opinion?

14 hours ago, AnalyticalGamer said:

I think she could and should be better,

I'm more than satisfied with this.

14 hours ago, AnalyticalGamer said:

I do have one question though - has it always been just a matter of opinion?

Putting it like this, it makes it seem like it's pointless to talk. 'The Internet' has a tendency of using the word 'opinion' in a very bad way.

When I say opinion, I mean it in the same way as if someone brought me a list of symptoms and signs, along with blood sample results and I say: 'Looks like X, because Y and Z.'

Of course, MLP isn't an exact science, so you can have multiple opinions and they can be right at the same time... It's a matter of interpretation and personal opinion, in the sense that people like somethings and others don't.

I like talking to people because it helps to understand why I like or not something. I like understanding why people think the way they do and I don't like being wrong.

In the case of Princess Celestia, I think that conceptually she is a great character, but that the cartoon has proven to have the capacity to make her much better. Well, I used to think several things of her and people have shown me that they were wrong. One of them is that there is a lot of room for improvement and good reason to do so.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:51 AM, 8492nd said:

Because I know you will beat every argument that I can think of with your "superior" skills. I already know I'll fail badly when I stated that I'm fine with her with the way she's presented.

I've already seen just how super eloquent you are in your previous posts, and I know for fact that I'll never be able to articulate my point clearly to you. Along with the others.

What's the point of me fighting this arguing battle if I know I'm going to lose anyway?

I know you'll see people who don't communicate and justify their thoughts like you do as inferior and stupid, of which I'm one.

Like this

Me: I like Celestia the way she is now.

You: Why?

Me: "I can't explain why I like her. I just do." Or "I'm not going to bother telling you why."

You: Why am I even talking to you? Since you can't and/or won't argue properly, and since your arguing skills are abysmal, you're an inferior and stupid creature.

Like that. You and everyone else who are far more articulate than me @AnalyticalGamer@Number95 , you see me as an inferior being because I can't argue like you do.

I don't see you as inferior. I'm just expressing myself. Stop trying to win arguments and just accept difference of opinion. This doesn't matter. 

On 3/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, Metemponychosis said:

That the episode didn't do much to show Celestia's routine is kind of my point: it turned this part of the episode into a joke, and then shifted the tone to something much more serious when it got to Celestia doing Luna's job. And then, Celestia needed Luna's help to succeed, while Luna never needed her sister's help. And even if you say that Luna didn't, what was the consequence? Something trivial that doesn't fit the severity of the things that can go wrong if Celestia messes up her job and the ruler.

I'm not bothered by this, and I don't think the severity of consequences is necessary to the point of that episode, so I'd suggest that this imbalance could equally be corrected by making Luna's job more mundane. Although, I'd also suggest that the difference in excitement makes their mutual lack of understanding both more understandable and more relatable.

You know, I really like that episode, but I feel like my numerous reservations about it would be pretty easily solved were it just twice as long.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, Metemponychosis said:

which she just ended up using to fight Tirek like THEY ALL should've done from the start, and did in the past.

As I said before, fighting Tirek didn't actually amount to that much, did it? Twilight solved that problem by stumbling onto some magical artifact which saved the day for her. Celestia's plans didn't work, but they were the best anyone had. 

(For the record, that's the last time I find "worfing" Celestia entirely defensible.)

On 3/15/2018 at 3:32 PM, AnalyticalGamer said:

7.Celestia isn't a dictator. That fact that Luna reigns with Celestia and there are other princesses and leaders ruling different districts of Equestrian proves this. 

Nah, just an oligarch.