PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episodes 1 & 2: School Daze

Oh man I had so much fun with these two episodes. The kids are great and I learned that potential race wars, sticking it to the government, and gratuitous use of light artillery can make Friendship magical! All kidding aside, I love it :approve:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also. did Anyone else get a feeling that there may be more to Neighsayer's prejudice than just towards the other races of creatures.  I mean when Celestia mentioned something similar happening before involving Earth Ponies, Unicorn's and Pegasus, I just got this feeling, that Neighsayer is also prejudice towards non-unicorn and non-alicorn ponies.  

And something tells me, that that too will be brought to light very soon as well.  What are your thoughts on this?

Celestia was just bringing up the origins of Hearth's Warming Eve because she could make a comparison to the leaders of the past. They only cared about their tribe of ponies. Neighsay only cares about Equestrian ponies and views non ponies with distrust. I doubt that he has contempt for non unicorns. There were Earth ponies (and possibly pegasi, I didn't look too close) on the EEA council. Miss Cheerilee's school in Ponyville is accredited and its run by an Earth pony.

Ponykind is no longer separated by tribes and hasn't been for hundreds of years. (Ponyville was founded by Earth ponies, but all three kinds of ponies live there happily.) It would make no sense for Neighsay to cling to that old-fashioned tribalism. Dragons and changelings? Those have been enemies in the past and yaks and hippogryphs are new allies. Befriending them is a very recent development and not something Neighsay agrees with.

(This is a new issue. Neighsay's distrust has never been a problem for the EEA before, because he's never had to face this kind of cross-species integration before. That's why Celestia probably had no idea he'd react this way. She points out how pony segregation was practiced before, and it went badly until the tribes cooperated, in the hopes Neighsay will apply it to other species and see the folly of his reasoning.)

Yes, but I said before, I believe this "School" deal will last only this season, as well as the student six.  Now that doesn't mean the student six won't show up in the 9th season (potenally the final season), they will, it just that they may be put in the same positions as Ember, Thorax, Trixie, and Discord are currently in, showing up when needed or when the story calls for them too.

As far as Neighsayer goes, as I mentioned before, I feel he will have a major role when it comes to the S8 Finale, perhaps the one behind the S8 Finale's Villain.

The reason I say this, is because it seems he comes off as someone that no matter what you tell them, will stand firmly by his beliefs, and will do anything to prove what he is saying is gospel, even it means sending somepony to do his dirty work for him.  And again, it seems his prejudice for the other races in Equestria runs a lot deeper than he's letting on, from what Celestia said to him at the end.  So I feel we may learn more about that as the season rolls on.

Overall, it was nice to get call backs to the Movie right at the start, and how that one adventure expanded the Cutie/Friendship Map to encompass the whole table.  Also I feel that just because we don't see them in S8, but only referenced, I fell S9 (Final Season?) is when we will see her, Capper, the Pirates and Skystar again.

But those are just my thoughts. What are yours? Do you Agree with anything I mention here? Comments are Welcomed

Prejudice running deeper than he already shows? I don't think so.

Neighsay's not prejudice against Earth ponies and pegasi, only these new (potentially dangerous) non-pony allies. That was my point. Celestia said what she did because this is the first time Neighsay's ever been in a situation where his prejudices would be called into question. She told him about the Hearths Warming tribes because it was the closest (but inexact) analogy she could make. To remind him that long ago, there were ponies with even more prejudice than Neighsay displays. Ponies whose prejudice didn't even have fear behind it.

(Neighsay repeatedly says how he thinks Twilight's school will be used to learn defense and talks about creatures being dangerous. If his prejudice wasn't rooted in fear, he might say those other races are stupid or weird-looking but he doesn't.) And it's not like Celestia had a problem with Neighsay or the EEA before. Her school is accredited, after all.

Nobody said anything about whether or not the school will continue to receive focus,  or whether the movie characters will or won't show up later in the series. If I wanted to talk about Season 9, I'd go to a different topic, possibly your review blog post.

• Like 2

Just saw it. IT WAS GREAT! And Twilie...I mean Ms. Sparkle, has her own school now :D

large.jpeg

- I wonder though: how Mane 6 are going to handle both teaching AND their regular jobs?

- By the way, what did you think of Starlight being the one who told Twilie to pull herself together and what to do? After all those kind-of-mixed responses about hijacking finale and some somewhat lacking episodes in previous season stuff, I am still confused what to think of her and how should I treat that particular moment. Can somepony help me out with that please?

- Love the kids. ESPECIALLY SILVERSTREAM, MY WOW, WHY IS SHE SO AMAZING?! BEST SEAPONY BIRB X3

- Also, Neighsay is one nasty racist character.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Light Blade said:

I wonder though: how Mane 6 are going to handle both teaching AND their regular jobs?

That's something that sticks out for a not-small number of people.

• Confused 1

On 4/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, Light Blade said:

@RK_Striker_JK_5 What do you mean?

Well, that with the exception of Twilight, the others of the Mane Six already have full lives, careers, and goals. How can rainbow Dash balance being a Wonderbolt and a teacher? How can Applejack balance Sweet Apple Acres-her livelihood-and being a teacher? Rarity and her three boutiques, Fluttershy and her animals/animal sanctuary, and pinkie pie and her parties/Sugarcube Corner?

It breaks my Suspension of Disbelief that they can teach and continue with those activities. And I'm not the only one who's noticed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

pinkie pie and her parties/Sugarcube Corner

There is nothing Pinkie cannot do! She laughs at reality! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Light Blade said:

@RK_Striker_JK_5 AH, I see. Oh well, I personally still gonna keep watching. MAYBE there will be an answer.

I'm gonna keep watching, too. I mean beyond that, I loved the season premiere. Yona is so friggin' adorable! :D

30 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

There is nothing Pinkie cannot do! She laughs at reality! 

And as we saw in the season three episode 'Too Many Pinkie Pies', reality will laugh right back at her. :ajlol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

And as we saw in the season three episode 'Too Many Pinkie Pies', reality will laugh right back at her. :ajlol:

A temporary setback! :glare:

There is a trending question that many are asking – how can the mane six be teachers and work at their normal jobs? I will provide some answers to this question in this comment. There is a similar post about this by @bwrosas, and I think he gives great answers to this question as well – if you want to check it out, his post is called "How will the School Of Friendship Operate Hourly?". Remember, these answers are not facts or infallible, so you do not need to consider or choose any of them.

First, the mane six could be part-time teachers. Each one teaches only one class, so they could do both jobs in the same day. This would normally lead to exhaustion and an overpacked schedule in real life, but we are dealing with Equestria – the mane six could have far more endurance than us in real life, and teaching only one class isn't over burdensome unless that class lasts all day.

Second, the concept of having two jobs might not be applicable to the mane six, since we have no canonical evidence that the mane six always do average work hours like us humans. There also is no evidence that the mane six must do their normal jobs and teach at all times. There is a refute to this though – even though it is never said for the mane six to always be doing their ordinary work, the concept is implied to the point where the mane six must put at least a normal amount of effort into their jobs. 

Third, the mane six have substitutes for their normal jobs. This could mean that they don't have to do their jobs all the time. Furthermore, these substitutes are well qualified to take the mane six's normal job positions. It could be something like this – 5 days a week, Big Mac substitutes for AJ until she is done teaching for five hours. 

Fourth (not an answer – a refute to objections), to say that the mane six cannot work two jobs at once seems inconsistent. They are fine when they go out on long adventures and go visit places like the Crystal Empire for multiple episodes without any known effect on their jobs, why can't they be fine when they teach one class at their home town? 

Feel free to expound on my answers or refute them – opinions are also encouraged. 

Disclaimer: I have not stated any of my points as facts, as fully accurate answers, or as the only answers

Nice episode IMO. Here, we get to see new characters, like the Young 6 for example. Also, love how they mentioned Tempest Shadow and other MLP movie characters and places too. As for that Neighsay dude, don't get me started with him. :applejargh:

On 4/6/2018 at 9:26 PM, AnalyticalGamer said:

There is a trending question that many are asking – how can the mane six be teachers and work at their normal jobs? I will provide some answers to this question in this comment. There is a similar post about this by @bwrosas, and I think he gives great answers to this question as well – if you want to check it out, his post is called "How will the School Of Friendship Operate Hourly?". Remember, these answers are not facts or infallible, so you do not need to consider or choose any of them.

First, the mane six could be part-time teachers. Each one teaches only one class, so they could do both jobs in the same day. This would normally lead to exhaustion and an overpacked schedule in real life, but we are dealing with Equestria – the mane six could have far more endurance than us in real life, and teaching only one class isn't over burdensome unless that class lasts all day.

Second, the concept of having two jobs might not be applicable to the mane six, since we have no canonical evidence that the mane six always do average work hours like us humans. There also is no evidence that the mane six must do their normal jobs and teach at all times. There is a refute to this though – even though it is never said for the mane six to always be doing their ordinary work, the concept is implied to the point where the mane six must put at least a normal amount of effort into their jobs. 

Third, the mane six have substitutes for their normal jobs. This could mean that they don't have to do their jobs all the time. Furthermore, these substitutes are well qualified to take the mane six's normal job positions. It could be something like this – 5 days a week, Big Mac substitutes for AJ until she is done teaching for five hours. 

Fourth (not an answer – a refute to objections), to say that the mane six cannot work two jobs at once seems inconsistent. They are fine when they go out on long adventures and go visit places like the Crystal Empire for multiple episodes without any known effect on their jobs, why can't they be fine when they teach one class at their home town? 

Feel free to expound on my answers or refute them – opinions are also encouraged. 

Disclaimer: I have not stated any of my points as facts, as fully accurate answers, or as the only answers

Generally I assume the mane six are taking breaks from their jobs when they go on adventures. 

I'm also somewhat surprised that Twilight hasn't employed anyone who doesn't have other work to do. Surely there's people around who are trustworthy.