PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episodes 1 & 2: School Daze

Title: School Daze

Synopsis: Part 1 - When the Friendship Map grows bigger to reflect the world beyond Equestria, the Mane 6 realizes they'll need a way to spread the message of friendship far and wide. Luckily, Twilight Sparkle knows just what to do -- open a School of Friendship!

Part 2 - When the School of Friendship is closed by Chancellor Neighsay of the Equine Educational Association, Twilight Sparkle must reunite her students, inspire her friends and buck the rules to stand up for what she knows is right for everycreature, pony or not.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

• Like 2

Great intro for a new season. New characters, new beginnings, and we have a potential to look into the other kingdoms of the students are from. The EAA (if that's the correct name) surely reminded folks of the school board. I loved the 2nd episode's theme and idea of standing up to the old structure (school board's rules). Looking forward for more episodes! 

• Like 1

Fantastic episode! 9/10.

Though I do see a couple problems with the plot, none of them take away the things I love about episode! 

Plus, this episode gave me exactly what I wanted for a long time: Twilight founding the school of friendship!

:D 

• Like 2

It's the small-time villains with mundane motives that really hit home. Chrysalis? Tirek? Sure, they were big threats, but whatever, you know they're going to lose in the end. But a racist bureaucrat who gets to be the gatekeeper for something the heroes really want to make a reality? Shoot, actual people have had their dreams destroyed by assholes like that. What a fantastic jerk. But the episode really speaks to how you can go into an endeavor with idealism and passion and then be forced to keep making concessions in order to keep it afloat, until it no longer holds a spark of the original vision.

And then it turns out that you can just ignore all the worldly realities and do things exactly the way you want, and it works out fine! Aaaaaand that's why it's escapist entertainment. Hooray!

• Like 5

All the new students (Gallus, Ocellus, Sandbar, Silverstream, Smolder, and Yona) have great Ensemble Darkhorse potential.

Even Neighsay, obnoxious as he is, has a cool voice (Maurice LaMarche, of all people) and a couple of neat spells.

• Like 3

I disliked Neighsay because he had alot of power in the academic field and clearly had some racist (speciest?) beliefs. So he definitely worked as a villain in the love-to-hate sense not the evil overlord sense. I hope he learns to trust in other species and not be such an elitist (even if it might be more realistic for him to remain an obstacle, I like pony because it shows many characters willing to change their ideas if said ideas were toxic and mean. As FriendshipIsHorses pointed out, Twilight getting to run an unaccredited school her way isn't terribly realistic, but it makes for a nice happy ending.)

My favorite new character was Yona, very sweet and clumsy. Loved that Rarity put ribbons in her hair so she wouldn't trip so often. But all the new students have potential and I look forward to seeing them again. Just wish the CMCs, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon could attend, the friendship looks more fun than the calculus based curriculum Cheerilee offers. No offense to Cheerilee fans. Maybe her school and Twilight's school could interact, like maybe play a friendly game of buckball or go on a shared field trip or something.

• Like 4

I have learned great many things from these two episodes. Most important lesson of course is that Party Cannons can reproduce. Their numbers are growing! 

• Like 3

it only took 8 seasons, but my dreams came true Luna finally has her own throne in show!

yes, thats the single most important thing i got from this episode

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trainboy1621 said:

Great intro for a new season. New characters, new beginnings, and we have a potential to look into the other kingdoms of the students are from. The EAA (if that's the correct name) surely reminded folks of the school board. I loved the 2nd episode's theme and idea of standing up to the old structure (school board's rules). Looking forward for more episodes! 

The ponies have taken a turn that I wasn't quite expecting...and I am DELIGHTED with it!  Spread the message far and wide.  And with the roots of idealism coming along, heck I might not be the only "mony" for long--adults should be able to relate just as much as children.

• Like 1

Won me over. Kinda slow at the start, but just so charming, and I liked the anti-racism message. There's a sort of organic fluidity to this which the past couple of seasons have lacked, so if this is what season 8 is like, I'm pretty stoked. I confess that I have some issues with the school concept, though. 

• Like 1

How nice of them to mention the movie in the intro. I always like when there's an attempt at connecting the expanded universe with the main story of the franchise. And it was was a good hook to get Twilight on the idea of the school. Anyway... Oh, man. Did I like this episode. So, the gist of it, is that I can't wait to see more of it. For those that want to talk more about the episode...

First of all, I think that the school looked great. Unlike with Twilight's palace which I think belongs more in the Crystal Empire, the school does look like it conforms to the visual identity of Ponyville. All the nice little details, but the ones that got to me the most were the busts showing the Pillars. Nice touch. I saw Star Swirl, Mistmane and Somnambula. I'm sure the others where around, but I missed them. I didn't really expect to see the characters themselves there, but I still think that the busts where a nice touch.

I was having enough fun with the older characters making appearances, but I can't understand why wasn't Skystar there. Really, it's the only big disappointment I have with this episode.

But the first song... I really didn't feel it. I'm not sure what was wrong with it, but I couldn't get into it. But I laughed again when it showed Applejack's class. It's just a weird feeling that the song didn't sound right to me. Though, again, the visual part was great, with Fluttershy trying to teach philogenetics and Pinkie going on an equation. I wouldn't be surprised if someon that knows math can find an easter egg in there. In the end, it looked great, both with the little visual jokes and getting across the idea that things weren't working great. Latter, maybe that is the point and I was too musically illiterate to understand.

I think I like Chancellor Neighsayer Neighsay more than intended, though. He has such an unnerving flavor of xenophobia and arrogance, and is so dense and obtuse about Twilight's plan with the school that it almost makes him a decent 'villain' I'm starting to think I overestimate Equestrian society and that children turning evil isn't so hard to understand. Still, I love how this whole thing is a diplomatic disaster in the works and the people that should care, don't. But that guy turned it on Twilight so hard and she just took it like it actually was her fault. I don't know if I should praise the script for playing with Twilight's insecurities or to complain about it taking a cheap shot at forcing the conflict. Well, I think it worked, since the rest of the episode really held the standard... And I can see a jerk like that pulling something like that. .... I did like the effect on his portal, though...

Then, I feared two things: 1. Twilight would go to Celestia and she'd say that her hands are tied and be her typical useless despite how stupid Neighsayer was, or 2. Twilight would take the blame with her friends or cast it on them. Well, I can't deny that the it managed to keep me in suspense until the next part started. And then she took on his intimidation like it was her fault... What a shame. The following scene was pretty funny, though. Poor Twilight. Even if I was practically screaming (internally) at the screen for that moron to go talk to a certain pony that did manage to make a functioning school. I suppose it was just easier for that idiot Neightsayer to understand how school of magic for special unicorns would be valuable.

But of course... Starlight Glimmer... Why weren't Twilight's friends telling the exactly same thing Starlight Glimmer told her, I'll never know. Even with that 'you never gave up on me crap', that kinda works because it is true, but feels kinda repetitive already. This is the sort of thing people complain about when they complain that Starlight Glimmer doesn't belong. But whatever... It worked for me, but I can see people complaining about it. I can't say I didn't like the way Twilight went to her friends to get things going again.

Of course, when Twilight mentioned getting the school accredited, I didn't know what she was going to do... I really didn't expect things to go the way they did. I expected a montage of sorts or scenes showing the ponies convincing the other creatures to come back, and literally nothing more, followed by a better example of the ponies doing their thing. And look at that. It turned into a diplomatic mess and it involved all that should be. Well done, episode. Still... I was missing Queen Novo. Why she didn't appear when Rutherford and Amber could be there, it's another thing I'll likely never know. Maybe they couldn't get her VA? I would've welcomed a new one...

When I saw the students in the Castle of the Two Sisters, I was going to complain that Everfree isn't dangerous anymore. But it really wouldn't be fair with the scene were the Mane Six + 1 save the students. So, I just liked that whole segment, including the following scene. I really liked the way the ponies talked to the students and the general way things flowed. But that ending was such an anticlimactic cop out. It was good enough to get the ball rolling for the following episodes, but I just hope I'm going to see Neighsayer Neighsay either put in his place or having a change of heart. They could kill him too... I wouldn't feel too much.

The final song, unless it was just me that found the first one weird, makes me think that whatever it was, was intentional. And quite clever, I might add, with the general idea of the episode.

So, I really liked it. And look forward to see more of the new characters in the show. Well, a nice start, full of promise and fun new characters.
Edited by Metemponychosis
The guy's name is Neighsay, not Neighsayer.
  • Like 3

From what I've read from other's reactions, the Premiere was a 60/40 mixed bag.  And from what I can sense, is that This Neighsayer will have a connection with a certain S8 finale villain ,

Spoiler

Cozy Glow

, but that's just my opinion.  

But what I do take away from this, is this is possibly the "only " season that will feature the school.  Because if the l**ks showed us anything, that what started here with the introduction to the students, will come full circle with the S8 Finale 

Spoiler

"School Raze"

But again that's just my opinion.  Have to wait and see, and remember this : 

Spoiler

After this 2 parter, you only have 8-9 School Related episodes to go in the season, and 15-16 Non-School Related Episodes to come.

So if the school thing ain't your cup of AppleCider, don't worry, you have 6 episodes before the next school related one.

Spoiler

1b2.thumb.jpg.7a6acecfb5d08f5bbb38bf088f099251.jpg

7 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

I just hope I'm going to see Neighsayer Neighsay either put in his place or having a change of heart. They could kill him too... I wouldn't feel too much.

We have not seen the last of the chancellor! He will be back definitely and then hopefully will get what he deserves. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:
I think I like Chancellor Neighsayer Neighsay more than intended, though. He has such an unnerving flavor of xenophobia and arrogance, and is so dense and obtuse about Twilight's plan with the school that it almost makes him a decent 'villain' I'm starting to think I overestimate Equestrian society and that children turning evil isn't so hard to understand. Still, I love how this whole thing is a diplomatic disaster in the works and the people that should care, don't. But that guy turned it on Twilight so hard and she just took it like it actually was her fault. I don't know if I should praise the script for playing with Twilight's insecurities or to complain about it taking a cheap shot at forcing the conflict. Well, I think it worked, since the rest of the episode really held the standard... And I can see a jerk like that pulling something like that. .... I did like the effect on his portal, though...

The racism part I didn't expect at all, but Neighsay reminds me of the strict people there are in high educational positions. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Trainboy1621 said:

The racism part I didn't expect at all, but Neighsay reminds me of the strict people there are in high educational positions. 

If there is one complaint that I can make is that they could've made him a bit more subtle. More like he actually was concerned for Equestria, rather than having those kinds of personal convictions about other races. Especially if they plan on bringing him out again. Especially with Princess Useless Figurehead Celestia back there, spouting something about pegasi and earth ponies in schools. Though, subtlety never really was a thing on MLP.

Far be it from me to be complaining though. I loved hating that guy.

3 hours ago, TrekkieHooves92 said:

Great start to season 8 but dang IMO about Neighsay, what a racist and a jerkwad!, I wouldn't be surprised if he became the main villain of this season!

I think the more likely scenario is that he'll spend a while sulking, then get over it and help the heroes when the next villain comes along.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bwrosas said:

From what I've read from other's reactions, the Premiere was a 60/40 mixed bag.  And from what I can sense, is that This Neighsayer will have a connection with a certain S8 finale villain ,

Reveal hidden contents

Cozy Glow

, but that's just my opinion.  

But what I do take away from this, is this is possibly the "only " season that will feature the school.  Because if the l**ks showed us anything, that what started here with the introduction to the students, will come full circle with the S8 Finale 

Reveal hidden contents

"School Raze"

But again that's just my opinion.  Have to wait and see, and remember this : 

Reveal hidden contents

After this 2 parter, you only have 8-9 School Related episodes to go in the season, and 15-16 Non-School Related Episodes to come.

So if the school thing ain't your cup of AppleCider, don't worry, you have 6 episodes before the next school related one.

Reveal hidden contents

1b2.thumb.jpg.7a6acecfb5d08f5bbb38bf088f099251.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF4HpgW9MyU