PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episode 3: The Maud Couple

Title: The Maud Couple

Synopsis: Pinkie Pie’s super-best-friend-sister bond is challenged when Maud gets a boyfriend that Pinkie Pie can’t stand.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

The episode was pretty good. The focus on Pinkie Pie herself was well done. The reactions of her sister having a boyfriend and trying to make the best of it while planning for her birthday, it looked like Pinkie's biggest challenge to date and yet she succeeded in solving that matter. Maud's boyfriend looks like a pretty cool pony. He was always saying "technically" about certain things and objects, and he has a good knowledge of them too. 

Also found it cool that we saw Pinkie's other sisters that are like Maud, but a bit different in attitude.  

• Like 4

I wanted to like the episode. It had Maud, it had Starlight. Even had return of Limestone and Marble for a bit. And it was a Pinkie episode , I like those, it is one of times where Pinkie is a character with needs and desires.

But it felt like a repeat of the last Maud episode. Pinkie not understanding her bestest greatest sister again (what are Limestone and Marble though? Chopped liver?). I am fine with ponies being dumb, since that is what I like most, and I am fine with plot being predictable. But I was just bored with Pinkie's antics. And technically I want to hit Maud's boyfriend with a stick. 

I hope others like it but this time I ain't one of them. I tried. Honestly Mud Briar ruins it for me, everything else I do love. 

• Like 1

This was alright. Lots of jokes I liked. Maud is still one of my favourites. I kinda wish Pinkie would behave just slightly more maturely, though, and it annoys me to see Starlight being more socially competent than her. Neither Pinkie nor Mud Briar seemed like they were trying as hard as they could have to get along, and the stuff Pinkie doesn't know about Maud makes me wonder if their relationship is really so great. Solid moral, though.

68/100

• Like 1

That was more emotion than we've seen out of Maud in... ever. It's so cute to see her smiling. But, to be honest, I'm with Pinkie Pie on this one. Stick-In-The-Mud was so incredibly obnoxious. And how do you have 'sticks' as a hobby, anyway??? They're just little pieces of detritus from trees, wouldn't he be into trees instead? It's like saying your favorite animal is a fox's right ear. Like, what?

I don't think Pinkie and Mudstick will ever really see eye-to-eye, and that's okay. Sometimes the people you like like people you don't, and you just have to grit your teeth and be civil around them.  #relatable

• Like 2

i've never had a MLP character remind me of someone in real life, so I've never had my enjoyment affected by that. Must be tough. (I did have one of the unicorns in BuckBall Season have my exact hairstyle and color, and I still can't decide whether I find that off-putting or amusing.)

640?cb=20160904103631

640?cb=20160904103604

The unicorn whose hair tie has little bauble on it. My boyfriend even pointed to her and said "she looks like you!"

As for this episode, I liked it. Pinkie and Maud episodes tend to be great, and they have some pretty nuanced morals like: you don't have to like everyone a family member likes, but understand why they are important to that person, and give them some space. Or that it's okay to tell somebody you don't like something (such as parties). Even if you've been trying to spare their feelings, it is better to just have an open discussion and choose a compromise (the cardboard Maud attends the flashy party, while the real Maud has a more subdued outing.)

Also I loved the subtle character development for Pinkie's other sisters. Limestone wants a boyfriend, and is capable of giving good, sisterly advice (even if she insists Pinkie work on the rock farm, every time she comes home to visit.)

• Like 2

It was a good episode, evrypony! 7/10 I would give.

- The boyfriend is alright. Maybe annoying with his "techincalness", but it's kind of funny to see his slow and accurate demeanor clashing with fast-paced and not-so-detail-attentive pink one.

- Marble and Limestone are back, yay! Also, a sister giving advice to a sister is great to see. Especially when it's Limestone.

- Wow! Maud smiled a lot int his one :)

- The only nitpick I have with it is that it does feel like previous Maud episode. But considering what kind of pony Pinkie is, I can understand her.

And hey, I can never grow tired of Pinkie Pie pinking around (this is what I now call her antics) :HappyPinkie:

medium.png

• Like 1

Thank whatever god there is in Equestria for Pinkie. I lost it at her reaction to Maude telling her she has a boyfriend. And then...

"My sister in looooove!"

"Technically, we're in like."

Christ, this is so stupid it's hilarious.

I don't know what was the best about Mudbriar... His personality, Pinkie trying to be friendly, or his cutie mark.

And it only got better after that. Oh man, MLP at it's best.

The only thing I have to complain, is I wish it was Twilight or Applejack talking to Pinkie, and not Starlight Glimmer. It annoys me how much she simply steals the roles that would be typically filled by other characters. Guess they have to use her... Even if she now occupies Twilight's initial feet to the ground or Applejacks no-nonsense attitude.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:37 PM, Snide Ways said:

but after dealing with this level of autism personally, it made my skin crawl.

Please don't use autism as an insult. 

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2018 at 12:43 PM, Metemponychosis said:

The only thing I have to complain, is I wish it was Twilight or Applejack talking to Pinkie, and not Starlight Glimmer. It annoys me how much she simply steals the roles that would be typically filled by other characters. Guess they have to use her... Even if she now occupies Twilight's initial feet to the ground or Applejacks no-nonsense attitude.

Yeah, I feel she often takes personality traits away from other characters instead of demonstrating her own unique ones, but at least in this case I felt it made sense to have her present, given that she and Maud are good friends. Though that sort of makes me sad that Maud and the mane six never got to know each other better. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Thrond said:

Yeah, I feel she often takes personality traits away from other characters instead of demonstrating her own unique ones, but at least in this case I felt it made sense to have her present, given that she and Maud are good friends. Though that sort of makes me sad that Maud and the mane six never got to know each other better. 

You're right. It makes sense that Pinkie would go to Maude's friend, particularly considering that they are friends themselves too.

• Like 2

This episode was great and enjoyable, aside from Mudbriar’s mildly irritating shtick. Maud’s stand-up comedy was fantastic, as it had me laughing all the way through; furthermore, it links in with what Maud said in S7 episode 4, providing a natural feel to this episode on Maud’s part. Aside from all that, I found it interesting that Pinkie, who was friends with everypony, who did whatever she could to be friends with Cranky Doodle, did not even try to get along with Mudbriar at first. It took her sisters to get her to apologize and become friends. I think the reason why Pinkie found it so hard to be friends with him because of his technicality combined with his personality in general.

Overall, I would rate this episode 3.75/5 stars.