Light Blade

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Discussion

Me personally? While it is flawed, I still like it a lot for what it is :)

It introduced:

- how human counterparts look like. Yes, it's kind of weird to see everypony as colorful as ponies, but it is something I personally got comfortable with relatively quickly

- Sunset Shimmer. The villain that was destined to be reformed. While she...was not anything special as a villain, she still had pretty awesome design. And like I said, the movie is merely a start for her as a character.

- Twilie is a very adorable human girl. I actually missed her human form when she went back to Equestria (long story short, EG1 is the first pony "episode" I have ever seen (even though I didn't see all 100% of it)

• Like 1

Even though the new character introduced for the film (Sunset Shimmer) is really the least interesting part of the whole thing, I still have a soft spot for it. I find it charming how Twilight Sparkle acts clumsy as a human, who is the star of the movie for me. I like the Mane 5 counterparts, and how their personalities match up with those of the ponies we love. Principal Celestia and VP Luna are really useless are just there for show. Yes, it has plot holes and some unanswered questions but it's still charming. 

• Like 1

It...exists? I can not say many positive things about it.

I don't like designs, they would get fixed in later installments when girls get normal legs and more clothing styles variations though I never got used to skin. Skin color doesn't match well with stick figures hence why humans without pony counterparts tend to have skin color closer to human. And Cheerilee looks like Berry Punch. Oh and I suppose we should be glad that Applejack isn't as orange as her pony counter part or else she'd look like daughter of certain orange man.

Got nothing to say about characters, they depend on pony versions for familiarity. They don't have character traits other than being clones of characters we like. While Sunset will indeed grew to be the best character in spin off, this was not the movie that made her elevate to that status. Brad, errr I mean Flash "Savior of the universe" Sentry was bland and unfortunately will be just forgotten and replaced later (which is unfair because other issues got fixed instead of removed).

Story is serviceable, I guess. There were some plot points that were weak like Sunset photoshoping Twilight to make her look bad (we will never know why she used scissors). Nothing out of the ordinary compared to MLP two-parters, make friends and blast the bad guy. 

Really the biggest positive thing is that it got sequels. Which is good for those that like the setting because it only gets better from starting point. 

@Cinder Vel I dunno. The designs were fine to me. Skin, while looked weird being colorful (like I said), is something I got used.

Sometimes it is just better not to re-invent a bicycle, I suppose. And yes, Sunset was not that much of a villain.

For me personally it got ONE sequel. One GOOD sequel.

Considering apparent reaction of the majority, I dare to say that it's one of the movies that I personally like unlike everypony else.

7 hours ago, Light Blade said:

Considering apparent reaction of the majority, I dare to say that it's one of the movies that I personally like unlike everypony else.

Friendship Games or Everfree? I know that everyone praises Rainbow Rocks so can't be that one.

I kinda did enjoy Friendship Games most, if we are talking strictly about movies. The spin off series in the end isn't my cup of tea because I am heartless abomination.  

@Cinder Vel I am talking about the first one. If I understand it correctly, the fanbase didn't take it that well. And yes, RR was great! Eight out of eight on a plate.

P.S: I stopped watching after being exposed to seeing LoE, and this is as far as I can go with this.

@Light Blade
Oh I thought this:

12 hours ago, Light Blade said:

Refereed to a sequel, not the first movie. 

And I wish I stopped at LoE. I watched Mirror Magic cuz of Starlight and Forgotten Friendship cuz of Sunset finally talking to Celestia. 

• Like 1

My biggest question to the movie would be this:

How did Sunset know:

- the time when portal opens;

- that she needs an element of harmony/a princess' crown to get power;

- that princess will be in the vicinity of the portal when she arrives;

- where exactly to look for what she is coming for.

This indeed requires some explaining.

Plot convenience!

Actually she probably researched portal magic and elements of harmony back when she was student of Celestia. Unfortunatly this was never expanded on except in a short comic. I also don't think she really had a plan and instead was making things up as she went. More coincidences than Sunset actually knowing things she couldn't possibly know. 

• Like 1

@Cinder Vel Fair enough. These things we have to fill up ourselves, I suppose. Same goes to Sunset's sudden regret of her actions when she was defeated. I personally think that when she was struck, the time for her slowed down/stopped as she came to realization of how powerful friendship can be and how wrong she was all this time. It just went through her head when that strike brought her down on the ground.

• Like 1

@Light Blade
Well the last confrontation for Sunset was a roller-coaster of emotions. She faced Twilight and offered her an ultimatum of  either crown or breaking the portal. But Sunset was bluffing and gave up and only after being enraged by envy did she jumped at Twilight and put on the crown. Which visibly turned her into a demon against her will and warped her personality. Heck you could see her crying and her tears evaporating. I guess that whole experience traumatized her and when confronted with sight of friendship she probably realized that all this time she was blind.  

Perhaps the thing she always wanted was to be loved and admired and she thought that people would love her if she was powerful like Celestia. Of course that is pure speculation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

Heck you could see her crying and her tears evaporating.

Dang it! I never paid attention to that until you mentioned it. Just rechecked in screencaps gallery. You are right.

All this time I thought that while she didn't expect transformation, she still remained herself. I mean, it was probably painful, but warped personality...

I just thought that she felt the power that she finally got and proceeded with what she wanted to do (try to take over Equestria). So I personally think that those tears are caused by sudden physical pain. What do you think?

10 hours ago, Light Blade said:

I just thought that she felt the power that she finally got and proceeded with what she wanted to do (try to take over Equestria). So I personally think that those tears are caused by sudden physical pain. What do you think?

Well I meant warped personality because of being drunk on power. Power overwhelming. And well Equestrian magic has tendency to make users insane, like Nightmare Moon, everyone in EQG, Trixie, Stygian etc. Probably because magic is tied to emotion and negative emotions give undesirable effects.

Maybe the tears are from pain but I kinda thought that she for a moment was regretting what she was doing because she didn't know what was going to happen. And that regret evaporated when she was filled with power and decided to use her new powers to do what she always wanted. I can only guess if she always planned to mind control everyone or if she decided that once she become a demon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinder Vel said:

Equestrian magic has tendency to make users insane, like Nightmare Moon, everyone in EQG, Trixie, Stygian etc.

That depends.

It's clearly not the case with Dazzlings.

Trixie...while it WAS stated that the Alicorn Amulet can corrupt, it is somewhat similar to Sunset's case: a lot of power gets you drunk on it.

Stygian, I think, was just taken over by the dark entity that he discovered.

54 minutes ago, Light Blade said:

It's clearly not the case with Dazzlings.

Oh I meant human bad guys. Dazzlings are one exception. Which is shame because I am tired of depressed teen girls going mad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

I am tired of depressed teen girls going mad

From what I heard it reached the #WeHadThatBefore mark.

It's a little bland and its visual faults become more obvious compared to its more polished sequels. I think it's charming, but it also has some annoying cringe comedy, so it sort of evens out. I think it's watchable but nothing special. 

I finally figured it out!

The order is:

-MLP: Rescue from midnight castle

-MLP Tales

-MLP g1-g3 movies + VHS shows? (idk, I'm new gen so idk sorry :pinkieshrug:  )

-MLP COMICS EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN!!!!!!

-FiM (up to season 3 "magical mystery cure)

-EG movie

-ANY EG movie in between ( FG,RR, LoE)

-EG digital OR FiM up to friendship castle + cutie map

-MLP FiM movie

-MLP continuing seasons up to season 9

-Rewatch "the last problem" for a week to honor celestia and her pones.

-REWATCH EVERYTHING FOREVER TO HONOR CELESTIA AND THE PONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!