8492nd

Is there really a point in discussing political or social issues in the show?

One too many times, I've seen the following topics and terms pop up and be explored in the show:

feminism

gender roles

conservatism

liberalism

communism

political correctness

socially inoffensive

the show's intended demographics

"for little girls/boys"

censorship/freedom of speech

nationality

race

Look at aaargh Zombies here: https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/03/this-is-target-market-little-girl-super.html#more

Is it seriously required by some law, written or not, to actually discuss politics and those huge social issues? Because frankly you will never get me to care about them.

Yeah that's weird how some people see their personal, daily struggles reflected in stories and then want to talk about it. Everyone should just shut up and not care about anything or anyone. I should mention that I'm being sarcastic here. Most people will have picked up on it but you can never be too careful when saying something on the internet. You might come off as a real tool, otherwise.

• Like 1

You don't have to discuss those topics but you should be aware that they do affect many people. Some people like to talk about those struggles because it helps them cope and push for change. Problems won't go away without alot of effort to try and make the world a less prejudiced place.

• Like 6

Two big reasons why politics are involved in stories:

1. They're fodder for story ideas. If any politics gives the writers an idea to run with, they'll do it.

2. Animation helps shape real-life culture. You may not wanna talk about politics or pretend they don't exist in the show, but animation is entertainment, and entertainment inherently political. You can't separate entertainment from politics. To echo @GlitterCat above, animation is a leverage to push for positive change.

• Like 2

The goal is likely not to get you to care, but to discuss with those who do.

No one is forcing you to participate in a conversation you'd rather not be in.

• Like 6

On 4/5/2018 at 2:56 AM, GlitterCat said:

You don't have to discuss those topics but you should be aware that they do affect many people. Some people like to talk about those struggles because it helps them cope and push for change. Problems won't go away without alot of effort to try and make the world a less prejudiced place.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:12 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

1. They're fodder for story ideas. If any politics gives the writers an idea to run with, they'll do it.

2. Animation helps shape real-life culture. You may not wanna talk about politics or pretend they don't exist in the show, but animation is entertainment, and entertainment inherently political. You can't separate entertainment from politics. To echo @GlitterCat above, animation is a leverage to push for positive change.

@GlitterCatWell it DOES NOT AFFECT ME. I have never been in any of those highly intense conflicts as the rest of the world, and they have never personally affected me in any way.

The way I've experienced it, everyone involved in politics separates humanity into three groups.

1) The ones pushing for whatever change

2) Opponents resisting the change

3) People and bystanders who don't care at all and refuse to be participants/third wheels.

I am of the third. The ones in the first 2 groups are obviously against each other. But they also attack the bystanders and non-participants because while the 3rd group repeatedly calls itself "innocent" and/or "neutral", the participants in politics will also look down on them as inferior because they accuse the non-participants of choosing to be ignorant and refusing to actively participate in changing the world for the better. At best, participants will constantly try to make bystanders be interested in joining whatever cause is ongoing. In fact, in some cases bystanders, and personally myself, will get very annoyed in being in politics, in which they have no interest in. At worst, participants will violently force bystanders to join, by threat or by death.

Now, as for you @Dark Qiviut, I'll be honest by saying you're one of the last people I expect to reply to someone like me who is completely fed up with politics.

I've already seen some of your accusations towards the show, notably:

Military hazing in Newbie Dash, Sexual harassment in Hard to Say Anything, Harassment of individuals in Fame and Misfortune

I've seen how you think and debate, and I'll be frank by saying this: I'm tired of living in your shadow.

For my entire life I watched MLP I have watched it like an innocent child would. And I WAS HAPPY then. But then others have to inject politics in light-hearted shows, which really pissed me off. That's one reason why I left the show for 2 years: because I'm sick of people trying to force me into political discussions in the show. It's like me being forced to argue on behalf of Democrats or Republicans (both parties which I completely hate).

I've been seeking the chance to tell you @Dark Qiviut, how I really feel but  I always don't because, knowing you from a distance, you will completely destroy every single last argument I can come up with. In short, I lived in total fear under your shadow. I'm flat out terrified of you. I'm not joking. As a matter of fact, I've been afraid of even my own thoughts on the show because I end up taking your word as law. You're clearly the superior one among all of us, having unequaled debating skills, winning every single argument that comes your way, and making me hate myself.

Well not anymore. I'm fucking done with putting up with this. So I'm going to have my own retorts against your statements.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:12 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

1. Or how about some writers seeing and knowing politics but not choosing to include them because they don't want to be partial to anybody? Or how about some writers having no knowledge in politics and not touching on that topic at all?

2. Why would I pretend politics are non-existent when I know there never were in MLP since the beginning? I seriously hate you saying that entertainment is politics because now it's like you're saying that my sole existence = politics.

Why do you even care so much about politics anyway? What, are you insisting on becoming a head of state or some other powerful position?

You will never understand all the resentment I have felt for all those years as I type this right now, and I do expect you to say that my emotions are blinding me. Go ahead and destroy my arguments.Go and say that by choosing to stay out of politics, I am a truly evil person that must be eliminated. I know you see me as an inferior being because I refuse to see the objective truth.

I'm still fairly new here and learning about everyone's likes, dislikes, and writing style. So I'll talk politely and neutrally to everyone. As I learn more about them, I can tailor my responses. Like now that I know 8492nd does not want to engage in political and societal discussions, I won't talk to him about those subjects directly.

I still might talk about those issues in other topics, as they genuinely do interest me. I'd like the world to be more accepting and tolerant. (yes even fictional worlds.)

8 hours ago, 8492nd said:

Well it DOES NOT AFFECT ME.

Maybe not you, but it may affect them. The ones who understand these political messages and agree with them. If that message spreads and makes others who know little about these politics more and more aware, then it helps further.

Or how about some writers seeing and knowing politics but not choosing to include them because they don't want to be partial to anybody?

They choose whatever topic they feel works for the show, and this can include politics. This is Hasbro's/DHX's show, and they can do whatever they want with it, but they also have standards of whatever quality they want to deliver. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes not.

I've already seen some of your accusations towards the show, notably:

Military hazing in Newbie Dash, Sexual harassment in Hard to Say Anything, Harassment of individuals in Fame and Misfortune

1. These accusations I've been firm on and sill continue to stand by them. Why? Because when the show produces terrible moments, I refuse to stay quiet. But rather than blabber, I'm not afraid to point it out and back what I write up.

2. I'm not the only one who notices the crap you pointed out. I'm just among the loudest and the most relentless.

Why do you even care so much about politics anyway?

Because I give a damn about the state of my country and the world around me. Politics shape our lives, and entertainment is one way politics are shaped, refined, and critiqued. Entertainment and politics intertwine, even when not blunt.

Why would I pretend politics are non-existent when I know there never were in MLP since the beginning?

You're factually wrong here. FIM's foundation comes from Faust, an unabashed feminist. One of her profound political beliefs is girls should have access to smarter, mature entertainment over the sexist drivel from the likes of G3 and G3.5. While she hasn't worked for FIM for so many years, her word still has massive respect behind the scenes.

That's one reason why I left the show for 2 years: because I'm sick of people trying to force me into political discussions in the show.

Dude, no one's forcing you to participate in political discussions in FIM, and your scapegoating is complete bullshit. The fandom is an independent bonus that doesn't affect the show's quality in any way. If you don't want to get involved in fandom activity, that's your choice. But pinning blame on the fans for losing YOUR OWN enjoyment of the show tells us you didn't genuinely appreciate the show in the first place.

I'm flat out terrified of you. I'm not joking.

Here's a question. Are you onlyone from the MLPF, @newworld from a while back, and Cayo Toledo from EQD? I have a major hunch you are, because I'm very familiar with your patterned  victim complex and how extreme you react to certain people and viewpoints.

If you're not those accounts, then I don't care. Your terrible attitude is tiring, and you should start shaping it up before you burn every bridge built for you.

If you are these accounts, I have more reason to be terrified of you than you to me. Why?

1. Because you talked shit about me behind my back, slandered me on EQD, and wouldn't stop stalking me. I refused any contact with you, because I have you blocked.
  2. You threatened people with violence because an opposing viewpoint or opinion triggered you. Why did you constantly whine about me? Because I reported you for threatening to facially disfigure an EQD user two years ago.
  3. You threatened to kill me under your Cayo Toledo on EQD twice, after being given multiple chances to clean up and warned previously to mature or get banned. You were deservedly banned from commenting on EQD. Your refusal to grow up and get help cost you your commenting privileges there.
  • Like 3

Pal, I don't think you're getting anything out of reading online comments and posts. It's time to log off. 

• Like 3

On 4/6/2018 at 1:38 PM, 8492nd said:

The way I've experienced it, everyone involved in politics separates humanity into three groups.

1) The ones pushing for whatever change

2) Opponents resisting the change

3) People and bystanders who don't care at all and refuse to be participants/third wheels.

I am of the third. The ones in the first 2 groups are obviously against each other. But they also attack the bystanders and non-participants because while the 3rd group repeatedly calls itself "innocent" and/or "neutral", the participants in politics will also look down on them as inferior because they accuse the non-participants of choosing to be ignorant and refusing to actively participate in changing the world for the better. At best, participants will constantly try to make bystanders be interested in joining whatever cause is ongoing. In fact, in some cases bystanders, and personally myself, will get very annoyed in being in politics, in which they have no interest in. At worst, participants will violently force bystanders to join, by threat or by death

I have to agree on this point, as it's exactly the reason I have little to no contact with the fanbase anymore.  

On that note, I feel like I should speak up on the matter.  If you truly feel this way then stop butting heads with other fans.  Stop reading threads where this sort of media is being discussed.  In fact, just stop visiting these or any other forums.  I'm not saying this to be mean or drive you away; I'm giving you this advice because this is what I did and I don't feel nearly as bitter towards the fanbase as I once did.  Find a more positive way to spend your time.  Instead of viewing these forums, read a fan comic or look at artwork.  Focus on the more creative aspects of the fandom and not the bits that are ruining MLP for you. 

Trust me, you'll feel a lot better if you heed my advice.

6 hours ago, Thrond said:

Pal, I don't think you're getting anything out of reading online comments and posts. It's time to log off. 

Actually, I think he is - a lot of negativity. I wonder if he's enjoying it in some twisted manner.

Still, I think you're making a reasonable suggestion.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 7:03 AM, J. Brony said:

I have to agree on this point, as it's exactly the reason I have little to no contact with the fanbase anymore.  

On that note, I feel like I should speak up on the matter.  If you truly feel this way then stop butting heads with other fans.  Stop reading threads where this sort of media is being discussed.  In fact, just stop visiting these or any other forums.  I'm not saying this to be mean or drive you away; I'm giving you this advice because this is what I did and I don't feel nearly as bitter towards the fanbase as I once did.  Find a more positive way to spend your time.  Instead of viewing these forums, read a fan comic or look at artwork.  Focus on the more creative aspects of the fandom and not the bits that are ruining MLP for you. 

Trust me, you'll feel a lot better if you heed my advice.

I have seen fan work. A lot of it. But as much as I enjoy it, it's only a temporary respite. In the end, all this bile I've spouted points to one person who has ruined my enjoyment because he forces politics in everything. Now I'll leave it to you if you want to ask me who this person is.