PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episode 4: Fake It Til You Make It

Title: Fake It Til You Make IT

Synopsis: When Fluttershy is the only pony available to look after the Manehattan boutique while Rarity is away, she takes on a series of characters to cope with the intimidating clientele and learns that she was already the best pony for the job just by being herself.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

Well let me just say that this was one great episode. I loved Fluttershy switching personalities and breaking out of the comfort zone to run Rarity's store, feels like there makers wanted to add in some character development. Although it be nice if she handled things more differently next time... 

• Like 2

So. I wasn’t such a fan of today’s episode if I’m being honest. The main reason (I have many) for that being the conflict. 

Like. What normally happens in a story like this is that the main character feels the need to push themselves further because they weren’t doing a good enough job or because what they were doing just wasn’t working. But in this episode, it clearly shows that Fluttershy’s impressions at the very beginning were working out great. Everyone was satisfied, the shop seemed to be running well and she was doing a good job. So why does she feel the need to push it further if it isn’t needed? The episode literally never explains beyond saying that she just “went too far”. But if she went too far as the episode claims, then why does she point out early on in the episode that she thinks she should push it further? She literally says out loud that she doesn’t think she is going far enough. So it’s clear that pushing herself further was her decision. But why would she do this if what she was already doing was working? 

At First: Rarity what are you thinking she knows nothing about fashion and you're asking her to run your elite clothing store for three days, it doesn't matter if she's your friend she is literally not qualified to do this, just take two of your assistants to Canterlot for Celestia's sake, how are you so unprepared for this

Later in The Episode: ha ha Fluttershy's lost her mind

This one actually went so far into out-of-character/stupid premise territory that it orbited back around to being enjoyable for me. I just had to turn my brain off and enjoy the antics because none of it makes any goddamn sense. Like, insulting her animal friends in the heat of the moment because she's caught up in a web of lies would be out of character. Doing it without apologizing, continuing the charade, and then doing it again with no remorse when her friends show up to snap her out of it and then throwing them out of the store without even breaking stride... clearly Discord is infected with some really strange, mind-altering STD's.

Then she makes a half-assed apology at the end without having learned any real lesson, and all is forgiven. She's been taking lessons from Starlight it seems. Mare knows how to get away with shit in the magical land of Equestria.

• Like 3

Honestly Fluttershy losing her mind was something I never knew I wanted. Was it dumb? Of course, it is the pony show. Dumb is part of the course and part of the charm. I still found it entertaining to watch even though it was basically one pony show.

47 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

But if she went too far as the episode claims, then why does she point out early on in the episode that she thinks she should push it further?

She was doing good. So she reached an idea. Doing more good would be "better". Turns out that she forgot that too much "good" isn't always better. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

She was doing good. So she reached an idea. Doing more good would be "better". Turns out that she forgot that too much "good" isn't always better. 

That wasn’t conveyed very well by the episode at all. This seems more like an assumption to me. 

Even if this is the case, the episode should still actually show a reason or motivation for her to want to do better. The episode never gives a reason to get better as she does her job about as good as she possibly could. It would have worked so much better if the impressions are only good up to a certain point before they start not working as well so she needs to step it up. 

This wasn't really funny enough for me to really enjoy how overstretched and nonsensical its plot is. Fluttershy dialing up the meanness doesn't really make that much sense, and the further she goes with it, the less insight the episode gives us into what she's thinking. That leaves this as an episode where a character we're not led to identify with acts poorly in service of a moral, which is my absolute least favourite formula in this show. There are fun moments in the first half, but as a whole, no thank you. 

"New Fluttershy" (Putting Your Hoof Down) returned -- this time, with Dissociative Identity Disorder. :ajlol:

• Like 5

I'm not sure if this episode is very clever or very stupid.

Well, it was funny some times. Personally, I think Fluttershy is done with this kind of story. There are other stories that she can be used on where she doesn't end in this corner.

• Like 1

Introduction 

In this comment, I will describe what I think is going on in the episode. In my opinion the episode is good, but points must be deducted from my final rating because many concepts are hidden, which is why this episode seems very illogical and careless with its characters (Fluttershy in particular).

What other episodes can learn from this one: DON'T make the major points hidden – not everyone likes to look for the hidden and hard to find points and not everyone finds them, so just be communicative and have Fluttershy give a clear explanation for her actions. No one likes to be left in the dark, especially when the dark makes Fluttershy look stupid. 

The 'Mane' Comment 

In this post I will answer four questions in this order: (1) what Fluttershy was thinking when she acted in a mean and harsh way, (2) why her plan was working to begin with, (3) when and how it went wrong, and (4) why Fluttershy was mean and bitter to her friends and critters. 

What was Fluttershy thinking when she acted in a mean and harsh way? The reason is very evident and clear - "I got so caught up trying to please all of your customers that..." *Rainbow Dash cuts her off* "What customers?". You see, Fluttershy's purpose was to please the customers by acting in a way she thought Saddle Row ponies acted.  

Why was her plan working? First, Fluttershy was acting like Rarity, which was correct until she met a pony who didn't understand fashion talk. When she saw that her view of a Saddle Row pony needed revision she also noticed that there are more types of a Saddle Row pony, and thus created three actors. To prove this let me quote Fluttershy - " I think I need a new character", and then the critters showed her a costume, which she nodded at indicating she intended to create a new character for the new character to produce satisfactory results, and it worked! 

So, when and how did it go wrong? Fluttershy was producing fantastic results until a customer reacted in a negative way to the tea (I shall call this customer the 'lukewarm tea hater'). Fluttershy must have changed her view of a Saddle Row pony here. After this, she made fashion remarks that portrayed a negative yet very fashion-knowledgeable view of the dresses. This is where her wrong view of a Saddle Row pony really came into play – all the time she was faking to be like Rarity because she thought it pleased the customers (which is right), but then she changed to acting like a stuck-up and rich fashion expert – this would be logical, as some ponies are this way and Fluttershy encountered some of these ponies before. However, she began to assume all Saddle Row ponies are like this, and that they can only be pleased by others who have similar personalities. Furthermore, such a personality is not very pleasing or polite, which leads to my final answer.

Why was Fluttershy mean and bitter to her friends and critters? Her objective to satisfy her customers was not completed since after her encounter with the lukewarm tea hater she had a wrong perspective on what Saddle Row ponies are like. Therefore, Flutttershy's revised view of a Saddle Row pony indicates that she assumed that these ponies hate creatures, explaining her use of the word 'rodent' to her animal friends; additionally, Fluttershy also assumed that Saddle Row ponies look down on 'small town ponies', which explains why she treated her friends as such. Let me add to my previous statement: Fluttershy acted like a stuck-up and rich fashion expert who looked down on critters and ponies with lesser riches and fame. In the end, Fluttershy admits that she took her acting way too far when she realized she had no customers left then proceeds to apologize to everyone.

Additional Clarification 

Let me clarify something to avoid confusion. There are three characters Fluttershy acts like – Rarity (correct), three types of Saddle Row ponies before the encounter with the lukewarm tea hater(correct), and the revised three types of Saddle Row ponies after the encounter with the lukewarm tea hater (incorrect). The incorrect characters are based off rich and stuck-up ponies. 

Conclusion 

My comment refutes those who say there is no explanation of the events in this episode, but it does not blame them for coming to that conclusion. The episode's way of hiding important and crucial concepts has made the episode receive negativity because of insufficient clarification. It is for this reason that I deduct points from the episode's rating (-15 points out of 100), and I also think the writers could have done a better job on this. Apart from that, I think everyone will find the episode even funnier and more enjoyable now that explanations have been presented, and I personally find more contentment with the episode because of these answers. 

Note: whenever I said Fluttershy acts like 'Rarity', one could replace it with 'Fluttershy' since the episode synopsis indicates that. I'll probably change it sooner or later, but not right now since I will have to re-word many things. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 5:08 PM, AnalyticalGamer said:

However, she began to assume all Saddle Row ponies are like this, and that they can only be pleased by others who have similar personalities. Furthermore, such a personality is not very pleasing or polite, which leads to my final answer.

Why was Fluttershy mean and bitter to her friends and critters? Her objective to satisfy her customers was not completed since after her encounter with the lukewarm tea hater she had a wrong perspective on what Saddle Row ponies are like. Therefore, Flutttershy's revised view of a Saddle Row pony indicates that she assumed that these ponies hate creatures, explaining her use of the word 'rodent' to her animal friends; additionally, Fluttershy also assumed that Saddle Row ponies look down on 'small town ponies', which explains why she treated her friends as such. Let me add to my previous statement: Fluttershy acted like a stuck-up and rich fashion expert who looked down on critters and ponies with lesser riches and fame. In the end, Fluttershy admits that she took her acting way too far when she realized she had no customers left then proceeds to apologize to everyone.

This all makes sense, but I'm not convinced this explains the extremes she went to (she doesn't even bother apologizing to the raccoons later, for example), and I feel the episode's big fault is that it presents this without inviting any sympathy for it. She seems to sincerely adopt those personalities as her own, and simply put, I have a hard time comprehending the thought process behind that on anything but the most abstract level. 

Oh my glorious Faust! Fluttershy and multi-acting (and just acting in general) are two things that critically incompatible.:haha:

I didn't know that Fluttershy can be an actor this flexible, but she really took it a bit too far. Some ponies think of Putting Your Hoof Down and there is a good reason: the cases are similar. Flutty once again tried to put her shyness aside for a seemingly more appropriate for the environment demeanor...and got carried away. Flutty simply forgets the brakes in these.

Overall, pretty good episode. I enjoyed it enough. I got some flutterdorbs from it too :yay:

Update: @AnalyticalGamer Thanks for clarifying some things for me.