Steamworks

Top 5 Personal Episodes

Been meaning to start this one for a while now.

It seems like everyone's got at least an episode or two they can identify with, and I've not seen too many sharing that sort of thing around here (or on PF2), so share away. More discussion is always nice.

In no particular order, mine are

Hurricane Fluttershy
This one hits home in a few ways. The teasing and mockery 'Shy had to deal with as a foal definitely matches up with my own experiences as a child. The whole panic attack/freakout over the public performance is disturbingly similar to what's going on in my head during most social interactions until I get to know someone. That feeling of being negatively judged over every tiny thing is pretty damn overwhelming.

Sleepless in Ponyville
It all comes down to one scene in this one. When Scoots finally faces her fears and comes clean to Dashie, it's broadly interpretable as confronting that fear of disappointing someone you love/look up to, but I love looking at it like a coming out moment. Yes, I know it's not supposed to be seen that way, but it works so damn well, and Dashie's response to it is super happy.

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
While I can't create magical entities to give myself the same nightmare night after night, I can beat myself pretty much daily over my actions during and after a relationship from a decade ago. I'd rather not go into detail (at least not publicly), but, yeah, constant guilt is awful. Would not recommend. I'm still trying to figure out the whole self-forgiveness thing. This one was kind of poorly timed since around that same time, I found some old pictures of me from when I was (relatively) thin, so I got this really hard hitting combo of feels from the episode and a sort of real wakeup about how distorted my perception of my physical self is. Turns out it's easier to drop 30-ish pounds than figure out how to forgive yourself.

Brotherhooves Social
Not quite as heavy a hitter as other entries on the list, but it did have some particularly excellent timing. I was (and to a certain extent still am) feeling underappreciated by my family. While none of us were out there doing anything as cool as saving the world, I was the one keeping myself, my grandparents, and my brother fed while also helping take care of my grandpa and his deteriorating condition due to Alzheimer's, and I wasn't really getting any recognition and I was usually caught in the crossfire whenever my brother's borderline personality disorder would make him butt heads hard with my grandma. So, yeah, underappreciated by family like Mac. I also do the "hide your feelings and remain stoic" thing he did and the run off to be alone when sad thing and yeah. "Here I am about to start blabbering on about my feelings.  You don't wanna hear all this" is way too much my mindset when I finally do start opening up to someone. "It was foolish, and I'm ashamed" fits a lot of things I've done over the years.

Putting Your Hoof Down
Maybe I project too much onto Fluttershy, but I'm pretty sure she and I have similar shit going on in our heads. From that low confidence, low self-esteem, negative self-image, etc. headspace, it only makes sense to put everyone else first. It also makes you feel like a selfish asshole whenever you even think about putting yourself first. When you do finally get assertive, you get used to just ignoring that part of you that's screaming that you're an asshole, which makes it really easy to end up ultra-assertive. I just wish it was easy to find that right balance.

• Like 1

With more people joining, hopefully this will pick up.

Mine.

1 Hurricane Fluttershy
2 Lesson Zero
3 Sisterhooves Social
4 It's About Time
5 Sleepless in Ponyville

I love character pieces.  Don't need a big spectacle when you have a good story to tell. 

1. Castle Sweet Castle - Feeling homesick (and subsequently out of place, lonely, and lost) in a home is deeply relatable to me. I've bounced from house to house throughout my life. Not often have I felt "at home" due to my living situation. A house does not make a home. It's the things surrounding your life that makes something a home. Sometimes, "home" isn't even a physical place. It could be a website, or a certain city, or wherever you feel comfortable staying.

2. Winter Wrap Up - A wonderfully crafted episode with one of the show's best songs. It's deeply nostalgic for me, and it was one of the episodes that finally hooked me into FiM. I tear up every time the "Winter Wrap Up" song comes on. Twilight not knowing where she fits in in the world is something I strongly relate with.

3. Hurricane Fluttershy - As someone who's suffered through social anxiety their entire life, Hurricane Fluttershy is an extremely relatable episode. Sometimes, the fear is so bad that it makes you want to break down in tears. Feeling useless and faulty can make it seem like the whole world is against you, and that you will never be able to contribute like others do. Seeing Fluttershy finally conquer her fear was truly inspiring.

4. Slice of Life - A lot of people dislike this episode for "pandering" to the fans, but I saw it more as a "Thank You" letter for everything the show and fandom have gone through over the years, and the growth they've experienced. The plot works, and the fandom callouts don't feel out of place. Plus, they finally fixed Derpy's voice. Like Magical Mystery Cure, Slice of Life makes me think of all the good moments and memories I've experienced in this fandom.

5. Magical Mystery Cure - For all its flaws, it's definitely the most exciting and controversial episode in all of MLP. It's pure entertainment, and emotionally powerful. The scene where Celestia sings to Twilight while they walk through a spacey tunnel showing clips chronicling Twilight's journey thus far was beautiful. It's like a straight shot of nostalgia.

Honorable mention: Party of One - Paranoia & Isolation are the strong concepts in this episode. Pinkie hyper analyzes what others think of her, which is something I tend to do as well. Personally, seeing Pinkie Pie breakdown like that was heartbreaking, but understandable. Even the most joyous people sometimes cry, and they deserve to be understood and cared for.

Ohhh Top 5 Personal Episodes :) Now this is a forum I can get my hooves into 

Ok let me see, in no particular order 

1. Party of One - I am always getting paranoid every time I do not hear from a friend for more than a few days, I am always assuming they have decided they do not want me as a friend anymore and instead of telling me, they have opted to ignore and hope I will go away. :( Watching this episode kind of helped me to just be calm and wait a little longer because sometimes your friends need to do things in their lives.

2. One Bad Apple - I grew up being bullied, it happens to most of us especially if you were as small as I was but nothing hurt me more when my "friends" would bully me in front of the other bullies so that the bullies wouldn't be targeted...I didn't quite understand why they would do this until many moons later and I saw this episode and I suddenly realise it was a defense - If you can't beat them, Join them.

3. Filli Vanilli - Yes, this episode had personal impact on me as well, the whole idea of Fluttershy struggling with her own self-confidence despite the praise of so many around her but choosing to listen more to the rambling criticism of Pinkie Pie is something that I have always struggled with in my own life - No matter what I accomplish or do I still end up doubting or losing faith in what I can actually do and achieve.

4. Somepony to watch over me  - Replace the sister part with Mother and this is how I felt growing up with my own mother alot of the time :/ Because of all the bullying that I previously mentioned my mum became very protective of her son which was nice but when I left school she still kept up the protective bubble worrying about everything (Literally, one time she asked me not to go out for Drinks in town because she read someone got stabbed in a town about 300 miles away the night before and was almost convinced that person was going to travel to our town to do the same :D ).
Thankfully we did manage to burst that bubble later in life but watching this episode bring back memories of all the time she was overprotective.

5. Amending Fences - I am not perfect, sometimes I have made mistakes that hurt someone close to me that our friendship was damaged or even destroyed but I would always try to rekindle any friend I could but sometimes I know sometimes friendships that were once damaged need a lot of work to repair...this Episode made that clear to me. 

Oh this is easy for me. Some of these episodes have a personal meaning and probably could be reordered depending on the day of the week and what I had for lunch that day. 

1. Sisterhooves Social - I want to say that this episode's placement on my list was helped greatly by a close connection I have with my sister IRL, but the episode is quite good without the personal connection. Sweetie Belle and Rarity felt closer to a realistic sibling bond at times. Applejack is in great form as a supporting character giving sage advice, and we see the beginning of some serious growth between Rarity and Sweetie Belle. This pairs well with For Whom the Sweetie Bell Toils. 

2. Lesson Zero - Not only did this give us one of Twilight's most ... um ... hilariously energetic depictions in the series ... it changed the status quo in a way that allowed further development on the other characters. 

3. Amending Fences - If not for what will be next on my list, this would easily be my fav of Season Five. One of the few episodes that gave me pause as it seemed to demand my attention. I reflected on friends that I have lost touch with over the years. Minuette gets a voice, and Moondancer is one of the best characters introduced last season. 

4. Crusaders of the Lost Mark - The shield designs may have taken some time to grow on me, but I don't think a single episode felt this impactful to me. From DT's reflection of her purpose, to Applejack's aside about her parents, this episode has a lot more to love than the big reveal. 

5. Suited for Success - This is still my favorite Rarity episode, and until Season 5 it contained my favorite Pony song. At the time I saw this episode I dismissed Rarity as a character that would ever interest me ... this started me paying attention to the character more closely. The meta commentary is brilliant at times! The first appearance of Vinyl Scratch doesn't hurt either. 

• Like 2

Hmm, this list changes often but here's my current top 5 in no particular order:

1. Twilight's Kingdom - Everything I enjoy about my favorite character, Twilight, is showcased. She goes as far as making the ultimate sacrifice besides laying down her own life, just to save her friends (including Discord).

2. Hurricane Fluttershy - There was a time when I was about as unconfident as Fluttershy was here and her character here is so relatable to me. It takes a lot to make me cry, but this episode hit me right in the feels because I empathized with Fluttershy so much.

3. Amending Fences - There was a time when I was basically some weird combination of Moondancer and Fluttershy. This episode really reminds me of that time in my life...

3. Flight To The Finish - Another episode with undertones that I can really relate to. This is Scootaloo's best performance (after Sleepless In Ponyville), and I can connect so much with what she's going through from a self-esteem standpoint.

4. A Canterlot Wedding - The 2nd best season finale, with one of the best storylines, my favorite villain (Chrysalis), my favorite MLP song (This Day Aria), and lots of Disney vibes throughout. Also, Twilight and Shining Armor's sibling bond is so heartwarming. :)

5. Castle Mane-ia - This was my first episode. Even though quality-wise it has been topped by a bunch of episodes, it has a ton of sentimental value to me. I can't help being filled with nostalgia when I watch it.

• Like 1

1. Twilight's Kingdom - Okay, the Rainbow Power designs were a bit cheesy, but that was only about two minutes, and I loved nearly everything else about this episode: From Twilight's yearning to have more of a purpose than just "smiling and waving" to her showdown with Tirek.

2. Amending Fences - I identified very strongly with both Twilight and Moondancer in this episode, having lost touch with old friends. Twilight's apology is one of my favourite scenes in the series, and I really hope that Moondancer will be seen again at some point.

3. Magical Mystery Cure - Yeah, I know, controversial, but I love the songs and I love the opening of a new phase of life for Twilight. 

The top three are pretty solid, but my next two would probably change depending on when I'm asked this question. I could easily add several more entries for episodes that I feel are worthy of mention on a top episodes list, but I'll be good and keep it to five.

4. Crusaders of the Lost Mark - This was already a good episode about Diamond Tiara, but then "That Moment" happened and took me completely by surprise the first time I watched it. Before this episode, I wanted each of the CMC to have their own story about earning their cutie marks, but now I can't think of any better way.

5. Winter Wrap Up - The song is still one of my favourites out of the entire series, and this is just an all around fun episode to watch.

5. Crusaders of the Lost Mark: If you can make me like a character I previously hated, that's an accomplishment

4. The Mane Attraction: The story is beautiful and the song is Oscar worthy

3. Too Many Pinkie Pies: Manages to show Pinkie's comedic side and deep side all in one

2. Party of One: I love it when Pinkie's at her best

1. Pinkie Pride: I love Pinkie if you couldn't tell. :P
In all seriousness, Pinkie Pride is a beautiful work of art. Pinkie is at her best the songs are beautiful, the jokes are great, and even the animation is top notch. 

1) Keep Calm and Flutter On

B) Wonderbolt Academy 

III) Return of Harmony

Pineapple) Tanks for the Memories/Testing, Testing 1,2,3

Fin) The Saddle Row Review

6~ Rainbow Rocks/Friendship Games

1) Return of Harmony Part 2

2) Crusaders of the Lost Mark

3) Saddle Row Review

4) Lesson Zero

5) It's About Time

Honorable mentions: Fall Weather Friends, Party of One, Magic Duel, Castle Mane-ia, Filli Vanilli, Trade Ya, Bloom and Gloom, Slice of Life, Party Pooped, Amending Fences, Rarity Investigates, The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows, and The Cutie Re-Mark part 1+2, A Hearth's Warming Tale

There's so many good episodes, it's hard to pick. Here's my top 5 favorites in order:

5. Lesson Zero: Classic episode. Twilight's stress over not having a friendship lesson to send to Princess Celestia is very relatable and very funny at the same time. Her continuous freak-out is also funny yet disturbing. Twilight's Want-It, Need-It spell was a fun little sequence, and there was also a ton of character humor that made this a very standout episode. Easily one of the best.

4. Slice of Life: Grand 100th episode celebration of everything that makes the show so great. Focus was given to every background pony imaginable from Dr. Hooves, Derpy, Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Lyra, Bon Bon, and even a reappearance from the Big Lebowski ponies. Tons of funny moments, such as Vinyl Scratch and Octavia's ride through town, the entire existance of the Bug Bear, and Gummy's internal monologue. Add on top of that the wedding between Cranky and Matilda and this one makes for a very fun ride.

3. Bats!: This is the episode that introduced Flutterbat, what else can be said? Also has one of the most underrated songs of the entire series.

2. Pinkie Pride: A culmination of all the best elements the show has to offer. From some of the best songs Daniel Ingram's written to some very funny visuals and banter between Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich (guest voiced by the awesomely hilarious "Weird Al" Yankovic) and even a few tear-jerking moments, this adds up to one of the most rewatchable MLP episodes.

1. The Return of Harmony: The episode that won me over as a fan. We meet the embodiment of chaos himself Discord for the first time ever in this episode, as performed by the highly talented John DeLancie. The story presented here was unlike anything I would personally have ever expected from MLP. This one gave me a personal attachment to the characters, which has only grown ever since. It was so heartbreaking seeing this close group of friends torn apart so easily.

I havent really thought about this since Season 4 so it's a bit tough from my own lack of retrospective and the fact that i haven't rewatched most of 5 and 6, but if i had to throw a few frontrunners together...
Lesson Zero
The Saddle Row Review
Castle Mane-ia
Slice of Life
Castle Sweet Castle
Tanks for the Memories

1. Twilight's Kingdom 
  2. Magic Mystery Cure 
  3. Amending Fences 
  4. Winter Wrap Up
  5. Canterlot Wedding  

Pretty much any great Twilight episodes including Lesson Zero! Other great mentions would be; For Whom Sweetie Bell Toils, Castle Mania, Slice of Life, Do Princess dream of Magic Sheep, The Best Night Ever... my list can go on and on! 

Hmm let's see. But why top 5 ? :applejackhate: I kind of need a top 30 or something. I will try anyway:

Twilight's kingdom

No second prances

Lesson zero

Made in Manehattan

The cutie re-mark

Ok i failed miserably. There are a TON of amazing episodes left out. This is not fair :|

Well, good thing I read the original post (after I read the reminder).  Top 5 episodes that touched me.  Lemme think...

(cheesy elevator music plays)

Ok,off the top of my head:

1.  Pinkie Pride, the episode that got me hooked in the first place.

2.  Sonic Rainboom.  I never fail to get chills at the finale, when Rainbow Dash rescues Rarity and the Wonderbolts with her Sonic Rainboom.  But oh, that hideous makeup job on Rarity!.

3.  Twilight's Kingdom.  Not that I identify with two antagonists trying to blast each other into oblivion, but how can anybody resist that epic fight scene?

4.  Saddle Row Review.  Hilarious episode and I loved the extra touches in the Restaurant scenes - the Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta ponies, the J. Jonah Jameson pony, the quick shot of

Diane, "The Clone That Got Away" (google that phrase if you're curious).

5 (tie) Suited for Success/Sweet and Elite.  Identified very much with Rarity on this one, although I was a speechwriter and not a designer.  Nothing worse than non-professionals kibbitizing on your work, especially while it is in progress.  Also identified with Rarity in her efforts to fit in to both worlds.

Bonus Pick:. Magical Mystery Cure.  From "True, True Friend" through the transformation to the coronation, the ep never fails to reduce me to tears.

Guilty pleasures:  Slice of Life/Power Ponies.  The first becase Our Beloved Derpy gets a major role and lines, the second just because.  BTW, I've never seen an episode of Dr. Who.

Wife's Pick:. May The Best Pet Win.  She's not a pony fan by any means (not that she admits, anyway) but she watched this episode all the way through because she wanted to see "if she [Rainbow Dash] would do the right thing."  And now she loyally joins me when I run the DVR back for a second viewing (about 9:15 today, for instance) to watch the current episode.  Sometimes she laughs louder at the jokes than I do.  And in my eyes, she's clearly a Discord fan.

1. It's About Time
  2. Amending Fences
  3. The Cutie Map
  4. Luna Eclipsed
  5. The Return of Harmony

Larson's pretty great tbh.

1. Stare Master: Because it was the very first episode of MLP:FiM that I ever saw.

2. Rarity Investigates!

3. Luna Eclipsed 

4. Stranger Than Fan Fiction

5. Newbie Dash

Top 5 (I'm not sure if exactly in this order or not. It is difficult to choose just 5!) 

Hurricane Fluttershy

Sisterhooves Social

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Bloom and Gloom

A Canterlot Wedding

You don't want to know how long it took me to figure out this list.  I still couldn't settle on just 5.  I hope 8 is ok.  :P

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep- Oh my goodness, favorite episode!  I've dealt with guilt and have punished myself for it. So has my mother, horribly.  And even now have a friend who is very much doing this to himself.  It's sad and kind of scary what he's doing to himself!  I relate to this episode so much, as I see both myself and friends and family in Luna's position.  Love the dream sequence too, I mean c'mon, how cool was that??

Winter Wrap Up- Organization is a GOOD thing!  Thank you very much!  I wish some former (and even current) supervisors at my workplace could realize this.  I try to be very organized, but so few people see it as helpful.  It's also still one of my favorite songs in the series.

Crusaders of the Lost Mark- You can win a bully over with kindness if you're patient.  Obviously, this won't work with every bully.  But it can be done with some.  Plus the music is some of Ingram's best work.  And the surprise at the end brought tears to my eyes.  I love any "coming-of-age" story!

Magical Mystery Cure- How shocked and humble Twi is at the end.  She doesn't let her new power go to her head.  Something else I wish more humans in power could grasp.  And despite all the holes in the plot (it really would have been better as a 2 part ep), it's another "coming-of-age" story, and I was so full of pride at the end.

Tanks for the Memories- This one really has special meaning to me as it aired only a few weeks after my [then] only child* passed away.  I just wish he was coming back at the end of the season like Tank was.  But I soooo felt for Dash!  My own emotions were still so raw.  I was crying along with her.  Another great song, too.

For Whom the Sweetie Bell Tolls- I have cousins and my aunt whom family is always comparing me to, and they are always stealing my thunder.  Intentionally or not.  I'll admit I judge books by their covers more often than I should, too.  It was just so relateable, and reminded me to give people the benefit of the doubt before judging them too harshly.

Cutie Mark Chronicles- The fact that the Mane 6 all had a connection even before they met is so cool and made me wonder about my own friends.  Who doesn't like a little backstory, too?

Hurricane Fluttershy- I have soooo dealt with criticism that has robbed me of all confidence, and insisted what I had to offer was too small so I'd rather not even bother.  Fluttershy is the character I relate with the most and I relate with her most in this episode.

And ok, I have to add an honorable mention to A Canterlot Wedding because it made me miss my brother.  It's also one of my favorites because someone "unexpected" saved the day, and the music was among the best of the series so far.

* "Child" was of the feline species.  But he was very much my kid, and at 16, he would have been a junior in high school if he had been human.  The loss would have been just as painful.

5. The Cutie Mark Chronicles - I think this is just the most well-made episode in the series. I like how something seemingly harmless like the Cutie Mark Crusaders trying to find out more about cutie marks can lead to a deeper understanding of the lives of the Mane Six, and also how their destinies were intertwined. Perhaps the climax is a little sappy as Spike says, but it's still a lot of fun to watch.

4. Sleepless in Ponyville - Scootaloo is my favorite CMC but it seemed like she took a supporting role for the longest time until she had her chance to shine in this episode. I like how it solidified her relationship with Rainbow Dash and made Scootalove canon. Plus it has Rainbow Dash being awesome which is always fun.

3. Testing Testing 1 2 3 - I think this episode is relatable for a lot of people but the reason this episode appealed to me so much is that it showed that Rainbow Dash is a lot smarter and more talented than people give her credit for. It teaches an important lesson about how people learn differently and it does so in a way that is humorous and not condescending. Plus I love the animation that hearkens back to the early 1990s.

2. Suited for Success - I love this episode because not only does it have my favorite pony song (Art of the Dress), but it also has the Gala dresses that I love so much. Plus it has the ultimate Rarity going overboard scene.

1. Lesson Zero - This is the episode that first introduced me to Friendship is Magic, when I watched Fluttershy do OMM on Harry the Bear. Plus, it's just so much fun that it's the episode I can watch over and over again.