Sign in to follow this  
ABronyAccount

Herps As They Happen

I have seen quite a few herps over these last 9 months, but not many species that are new to this thread.

But I did find this old pic from an old work phone, taken back in 2017.

Cope's Gray Treefrog!

g3mZSRD.jpg

There's three of them hanging out on this satellite reflector mast. They belong to a species with 24 chromosomes (Two sets of 12, called diploid because there's two sets). There's a nearly identical species with 48 chromosomes (4 sets of 12, tetraploid because there's 4 sets), an evolutionary offshoot that happened when some frogs were born with twice as many chromosomes as usual.

Or should I say... SEVERAL evolutionary offshoots? Despite the fact that the related species with extra chromosomes is considered "one" species, genetics studies have indicated that there are actually 3 populations of them, each with an independent origin! In other words, those extra chromosome-having frogs spit off from this species 3 separate times, each one a different instance of chromosome-doubling.

Anyway, I keep trying to find more so I can get a good observation with location data, but I haven't run across any of these guys since this picture was taken.

Speak of the devilfrog! Look what I found while brushing leaves off a home heat pump unit today:

original.jpeg?1600895806
original.jpeg?1600895820

Literally didn't see it, just felt something in my hand as I brushed the leaves off the top of the unit. Then I looked down and saw its pale little self landing on the soft dirt, looking indignant. Meanwhile I was all like:

2408512.gif

• Like 1