WeAreBorg

New Post Count Rank Names

With our merge into EQD's forums, we were thinking of changing the rank names from fig related things. While I do enjoy seeing all the figgy puddings around, It maybe a bit out of context for the rest of the forums. So rather than myself coming up with new ranks myself, I thought I would ask all of you.

Let us know below any and all suggestions for new rank names!

will the custom rank/title thing still exist?

Sorry i got nothing for ranks. Maybe just remove it and after a certain amount you can have a custom rank/title like now i guess. Or just omit it entirely and let people have their own titles/ranks

1 minute ago, Cyber Commander said:

Was thinking some form of progression of characters like Background Pony, Book Horse, just some tid bits like that

I support this. Background Pony for the lowest rank with a progressive upgrade from there up until something silly like Forum Princess or something.

1 minute ago, Steel Crescent said:

I think it would be better to just omit ranks and allow people to just have their own or none at all.

Well what the system does is encourage people to be active so that they can get a rank

A good reason for this is it wouldn't promote shitposting(not counting forum games and whatnot for fun) and people would post because they want to post. not to increase their ranks just so they can have their own.

43 minutes ago, Steel Crescent said:

A good reason for this is it wouldn't promote shitposting(not counting forum games and whatnot for fun) and people would post because they want to post. not to increase their ranks just so they can have their own.

I'm more than confident our mods will keep people from spamming so they can get to Celestia rank or whatever

I support the rank system, and agree with Skyrazer/Cyber in that "Background Pony" would be a suitable starting rank, with higher ranks having more desirable names.
"Forum Princess" does seem rather hilarious.

1 hour ago, MoltenKitten said:

I'm more than confident our mods will keep people from spamming so they can get to Celestia rank or whatever

Spamming will not be tolerated, to get to max rank or otherwise. If people really want to boost their postcount, they're free to do so in the forum games section, since there's plenty of stuff in there that will serve that purpose.

I do like the pony themed ones; I'll likely use those unless we get a suggestion I like even more.

The starting rank should be Twist, THEN Rank 2 should be Background Pony, followed by Apple Family Member, Pinkie Clone, Mayor Crusader*, Element Bearer, Princess, and finally Black & Red Alicorn OC.

*(After remembering the Crusaders were a thing, I decided I liked "Crusader" over "Mayor." Sorry Mayor Mare.)

This works best because, let's face it - No one wants to be Twist. NO ONE:awesomecheer:

• Like 1

Background Pony, Supporting Pony, Forum Resident, Crusader, Friendship Student, Element Bearer, Forum Princess.

Just an idea for a lineup.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davidhsonic said:

I'm confused as to why "merging" (confused on the specifics of that too) with EQD means we should change anything.

To accommodate those that would be coming with the merge. It's best for both parties if we both change a little bit rather than one party entirely adopt the other's system.

6 hours ago, davidhsonic said:

I'm confused as to why "merging" (confused on the specifics of that too) with EQD means we should change anything.

To add to what Aurora already said, FiG was primarily a gaming community and the merger with EQD will probably bring in an avalanche of people who may not be into gaming, but just generally into the show. As we'll become the official Equestria Daily forums instead of just the Friendship is Gaming community some changes are necessary.

We need to generalize and expand the forums to more than just gaming to accommodate for those people coming from EQD. That does mean there will be a shift of focus but things should mostly stay the same, aside from the visual changes, more new people coming in and a few small things like these ranks.

I think that the rank should be connected to your community reputation so it will encourage people to not spam and try to post in other parts of the site. 

3 hours ago, I'veBeenCalledE said:

I think that the rank should be connected to your community reputation so it will encourage people to not spam and try to post in other parts of the site. 

As much as I like this idea, I currently do not have a way to tie ranks to anything but post count. If I find an addon or mod or whatever that will allow us to change that, I will certainly consider it.

3 hours ago, I'veBeenCalledE said:

The other thing with rep is it is just as spammable friends can just keep liking every post made by each other to boost rep 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:04 AM, Skyrazer said:

To add to what Aurora already said, FiG was primarily a gaming community and the merger with EQD will probably bring in an avalanche of people who may not be into gaming, but just generally into the show. As we'll become the official Equestria Daily forums instead of just the Friendship is Gaming community some changes are necessary.

We need to generalize and expand the forums to more than just gaming to accommodate for those people coming from EQD. That does mean there will be a shift of focus but things should mostly stay the same, aside from the visual changes, more new people coming in and a few small things like these ranks.

Oh. I didn't realize that we were going to be THE forums. I just thought we were becoming a part of pre-existing forums.