PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episode 6: Surf and/or Turf

Title: Surf and/or Turf

Synopsis: With family members on Mount Aris and Sea Pony relatives in Seaquestria, the Cutie Mark Crusaders try to help a young Hippogriff figure out where he belongs.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

This was a pretty good episode. Nice to see more of the world outside of Equestria. The hippogrifs and seaponies are really cool people to be around. Terramar has a pretty strange dilemma in what he wants to be. Sort of reminds me of growing up as a teenager trying to figure out who you wanna be. Scootalo and Belle arguing was a bit of a surprise. First time I've ever seen members of the Crusaders argue with each other. 

Also, Twilight was loving the hell out of the place they were visiting. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trainboy1621 said:

First time I've ever seen members of the Crusaders argue with each other. 

Really? What about season 2 first episode? 

This was great. What a wonderful start for a new writer. Good to see Mount Aris and Seaquestria again with seapony crusaders as an added bonus. I liked how both places were presented as awesome spots to live (and it was a subtle but well done reference to divorce and children visiting one parent or the other.) The song was wonderful, particularly the parts "to dare to compare anywhere to there is unfair and just plain wrong" and "Seaquestria's the most you're supposed to be there, underneath the sea where you can feel at home." I am liking Scootaloo's new singing voice.

Terramar himself was really cute, maybe I liked him slightly better than Silverstream but we have more episodes coming up about her so that could change. At any rate all the cast was likable and the 'fight' between the CMCs was believable. Not over-the-top or mean, but sounding like a fight kids could have, where both want to be right and they give the silent treatment to the other. But I am glad they quickly patched things up and helped out Terramar which was more important than picking sides. Also, Twilight having fun at ring toss sounded adorable, glad she got a trophy. All in all this was a fabulous episode and I am excited for the rest of the season.

This wasn't for me. I don't expect this show to be all that gritty, but its best stories have a hint of tension, or at least darkness. This felt saccharine to me in a way that the show has generally avoided; everyone and everything in it is just so nice, and the resolution is just so pleasant. Even Terramarr's problem doesn't seem like that bad of an issue to have. If this kind of amicable divorce is underrepresented in television, it's just because it's dramatically flat. It seems a lot of people are liking this, and I'm not surprised by that, but this isn't what I watch the show for. 

MLP Vector - Terramar by jhayarr23

My Comment 

On Location and Culture: I love this episode! It really gives us insight on the life of a Hippogriff. I could never imagine having to make a choice between Mount Aris and Seaquestria, and it's a good thing that you don't have to! Both areas were amazing, and I would turn out to be like Terramar, choosing to switch between the two. The events that both areas are interesting and plentiful, and I can see how you would never be bored when living at either place! So many things to do and admire, it is fantastic! The best part is being there with your friends! Time for me to take a vacation at the Kingdom of the Hippogriffs! 

On the characters: Twilight is definitely out of character here, even though she attempts to hide it. I love how she says that she is doing research, yet it is clear she is there to have fun. Don't worry Twilight, we all understand that everyone likes to have fun, play games, and take a day off! The CMCs are great here as well, but the only one who does her job best is Applebloom, who innocently stands there while Sweety Belle and Scootaloo fight with their opposing opinions – it reminds me of the common argument on the internet between best pony and other things, with an innocent bystander wondering why in the world of Equestria people make such a big deal out of these things.

On Divorce (Edited) : I misunderstood some people here, and thanks to @Cinder Vel for letting me know. I agree with Cinder and others that divorce is allegorically hinted in this episode.

Image by jhayarr23

Edited by AnalyticalGamer
Comment needed revising
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AnalyticalGamer said:

On Divorce: Some are saying there is a slight hint toward divorce in this episode.

People mean that the episode was allegory for divorce, not that there really was a divorce. Also divorced parents can be civil and even pleasant to each other, not all divorces result in hate between two people where kids must chose one parent. 

• Like 4

OHMYFAUSTTHISEPISODEWASTOTALLYGREATANDI...

'ahem'

SEAMCANDTWILIEWERESOADORABLEANDTHATSKYBEAKANDOTHERHIPPOGRIFFS 

'smacks himself in the face'

'AHEM'

I really liked this episode. I was happy to see Cutie Mark Cuties Crusaders getting their own Friendship Quest. Considering how they got their cutie marks and that those are so similar to one another, I am not even more curious about what grand purpose awaits those 3 fillies.

I liked that instead of being accompanied by their respective sisters (guess they had a lot of things on their hooves) they went to Mt. Aris with TwilieI mean, we never had that combo before.

(Wait, what? We had it in "Twilight Time"?

...oh. 'awkward smile')

But hey, it is the combination I am happy to see especially for only the second time 4 seasons later.

Twilie in this episode was...the cute adorkable purple princess that I grew to love so much! /)>w<(\ 

CMC were also great. Sweetie had her adorable moments...until they were blown away by seapony edition of Cutealoo. Aside from those, it was refreshing to see them having an argument. Now this is what I don't remember happening. I am sorry, @Cinder Vel, but that argument in front of Discord statue...well it was rather childish. This one felt more serious.

(Come to think of it, why ponies have serious arguments in the vicinity of Mt. Aris? First Twilie and her friends, now this. THAT MOUNTAIN IS CURSED, I'M TELLING YA! :gasp:)

If I am to nitpick, then it would be about the fact that the solution of Terramar's problem is good old "Why not both?" and that it became obvious relatively quickly before it was revealed. 

I heard somepony talking here about divorce and stuff and want to point out one thing in this episode that I liked: regardless of whether the parents being together or not, no matter what the circumstances are, they still love their child the way he/she is. Pretty good morale if you ask me.

Overall, this episode was great! 4.5/5 in my opinion.

P.S: it slightly bugged me that this episode showed no interaction between Twilie and Queen Novo. I wanted to see it addressing directly to whether or not things got fixed up between them after what happened in the Movie. Although, considering how ecstatic the hippogriffs/seaponies were about her paying them a visit and having a good time, I think fences were amended off the screen, so I am personally happy either way.

P.P.S: Sky flippin' Beak! Love him!

• Like 4

On 4/21/2018 at 2:04 PM, Cinder Vel said:

Really? What about season 2 first episode? 

Okay, that counts... 

21 hours ago, AnalyticalGamer said: I agree with Cinder and others that divorce is allegorically hinted in this episode.

Divorce was hinted at here? Damn, I didn't see that coming. It seems divorce is a thing in Equestria... :(

No one technically said divorce, and Sky Beak (dad) and Ocean Flow (mom) seemed to be on good terms, though they lived separately.  It's just that some viewers (including me) thought the set-up was similar enough to divorce to warrant mentioning. Terramar spoke of other griffs his age choosing between seapony and hippogriff form so it wasn't just him who felt he had to choose. So it can be interpreted as a divorce analogy (separate parents) or a coming-of-age story (separate homeworlds and cultures) or both.

• Like 1

I *love* the way the cartoon dealt with the whole school and EEA thing. Celestia is all over about how even a princess must aquiesce to the EEA and Twilight just gives it the metaphorical finger; but not only that, the cartoon completely ignores that there is a problem with the whole thing, Neighsay vanished into thin air, and Twilight is going on school business like it's operating normally. Damn. Gotta love this blissful abandon. I wish there was a camera showing Celestia's face just so I could see it implode under the weight of pointless the cartoon makes her. But my butthurt aside, the episode is pretty good. I like the way 'anygriff' sounds, too.

The only thing I can say I didn't like about the episode is that it never stablished that Terramar couldn't just keep living in both places to begin with. I don't get what is the problem other than he was just being silly. And considering the things the map has called characters to fix, this is pretty underwhelming.

Besides that, I really liked this episode, even though I kept having feelings that I was watching a 'buy this' episode. I thought it was really cute and charming with the way it showed the hippogriffs and seaponies. And another thing that caught my attention was how well it kept Twilight out of the main part of the story, without shunning her to a side and forgetting about her. Not to mention that her parts in it were very endearing and very 'Twilight-y'.

The crusaders... They went with the typical two extreme opinions with third character to be the voice of reason... Kinda... Well, I liked the way it was done, but while it made sense for Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle felt a bit quirky to me.

The song was nice but sounded a little off. I don't know how to express, exactly what I mean. The CMC have had better songs. Still, the song did what it was supposed to, but I do miss this sense of wonder in Equestria. Though it was just the way the episode wanted Sweetie and Scootaloo's thoughts to sound since they're enchanted with those places.

In the end the obvious solution was obvious from the start, but 'plot induced stupidity' is a thing in MLP, and I kinda expected Applebloom to figure it out, without Twilight. Whatever. Episode was cute, fun and even got a little heartwarming in the end. It was a good episode, as far as I'm concerned. Even if it grates me a little, I can see how Terramar would be conflicted. Maybe it would've worked better for me if the parents were actually pressuring him, or if there was some sort of ritual were he would be forced to chose.

Personally, I think that the episode works as an analogy for a child of divorced parents, thought it's really, really tame and a bit off the mark because of what I mentioned. But for what it's worth, I think it works better as such than Tanks for the Memories works as allegory for death.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Celestia is all over about how even a princess must aquiesce to the EEA and Twilight just gives it the metaphorical finger;

I haven't seen the new episodes yet, so I don't exactly know what to make out of this. But I do remember reading about Celestia conceding to some figures who overlook schools or something like that.

And that's why the show keeps losing credibility and sincerity to me. The show makes a big deal about ponies like her and never follows through, leaving Twilight (and sometimes friends) to do the dirty work. And it's not as if this stuff is played as a joke, though the "joke" is beyond old at this point. It makes me wonder if the creators know what she's good for.

18 hours ago, Light Blade said:

I am sorry, @Cinder Vel, but that argument in front of Discord statue...well it was rather childish. This one felt more serious.

Deep down most arguments are silly. But yeah you are right but childish argument is still an argument so it counts as seeing CMC arguing before this episode. It just was more serious this time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Number95 said:

I haven't seen the new episodes yet, so I don't exactly know what to make out of this. But I do remember reading about Celestia conceding to some figures who overlook schools or something like that.

'Conceding' is a very specific word and full of meaning that the episode doesn't really convey, but I feel like it would make sense, considering characters all over keep saying that she 'rules' Equestria. Did you get that from the comics? It sounds like the sort of thing they'd do.

Still don't know why she wouldn't do something about that giant prick, IF she's conceding, but I suppose that this is a discussion for another thread.

What a wonderfully unique way about talking about parental separation! What a great episode! Seeing Mt. Arris and Seaquestria again was just icing too. Watching Scoots underwater was really heartwarming as well "It's like flying!" :awesomedash:

• Like 1