Sign in to follow this  
InfiniteDays

What are your thoughts on this person defending racial slurs such as the N word?

So this is similar to a thread I made about wanting to expose someone. So this person has recently defended the usage of racial slurs like the N word as shown here:

https://imgur.com/a/r2iWPGQ

https://imgur.com/a/RBJDABi

I'm pretty sure most of us can agree racial slurs are never ok. So,  I was wondering, how do you view this situation? Should I expose this person for their racism? No doxxing, just making people aware that this person is racist and should be avoided.

You are joking, right? Or just not in the mood to read what that person is saying. Marked out person didn't even use a single slurs, he was just explaining facts regarding the stupid Pewdie Pie drama that happened ages ago (and was as pointless then as it now). A bit rude, sure, but then not that much by internet standards. My advice is don't start witch hunts or inquisitions. Especially when person in question isn't even guilty. 

And as for N word, I think Americans have strange priorities and get mortified for silliest of things. Sure, the word is a dumb swear but it is just a word. Why give it any power by overreacting and giving it significance? 

• Like 3

Someone defending PewDiePie's usage of the N word, which he has since apologized for and takes all blame for, is hardly defending racial slurs. He's defending PewDiePie over a media witch hunt that the Wall Street Journal helped fuel all because he uttered a slur when he was frustrated, which again he apologized for and takes the blame for it.

Is he being a bit of a dick? Sure, but he's not a racist. Neither is PewDiePie. I think you're just trying to start drama and you're trying to sensationalize what's happening in the pictures.

4 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

You are joking, right? Or just not in the mood to read what that person is saying. Marked out person didn't even use a single slurs, he was just explaining facts regarding the stupid Pewdie Pie drama that happened ages ago (and was as pointless then as it now). A bit rude, sure, but then not that much by internet standards. My advice is don't start witch hunts or inquisitions. Especially when person in question isn't even guilty. 

And as for N word, I think Americans have strange priorities and get mortified for silliest of things. Sure, the word is a dumb swear but it is just a word. Why give it any power by overreacting and giving it significance? 

Just a word? You're the one whose joking right? African-Americans are just easily offended for getting offended by a word that has a long racist history and has been used to dehumanize people like me. We are such crybabies, right?

My issue sis this person defending the use, saying it's simply a sound and people who get offended by it are easily offended, which is total BS.

1 hour ago, Nile Komnenos said:

Someone defending PewDiePie's usage of the N word, which he has since apologized for and takes all blame for, is hardly defending racial slurs. He's defending PewDiePie over a media witch hunt that the Wall Street Journal helped fuel all because he uttered a slur when he was frustrated, which again he apologized for and takes the blame for it.

Is he being a bit of a dick? Sure, but he's not a racist. Neither is PewDiePie. I think you're just trying to start drama and you're trying to sensationalize what's happening in the pictures.

Yeah, you're not reliable. 

6 minutes ago, InfiniteDays said:

Just a word? You're the one whose joking right? African-Americans are just easily offended for getting offended by a word that has a long racist history and has been used to dehumanize people like me. We are such crybabies, right?

Yes, it is "just a word". It literally just means black in latin and it had no malice behind it until 20th century. Notice that Nigeria has no problem of using that word for their own country. Also I wouldn't dream of claiming that all African-Americans get offended by it, if anything I think there are more people who get offended on their behalf than there are African-Americans that get offended by it. I wouldn't know really. I have yet to discover why do Americans even divide themselves because of the skin color. I always assumed all Americans are just Americans. I don't get it.

16 minutes ago, InfiniteDays said:

My issue sis this person defending the use, saying it's simply a sound and people who get offended by it are easily offended, which is total BS.

He is defending Pewdie because Pewdie isn't a racist and already has apologized for it. He is not saying "hey let's all say the n-word, it is ok!". He is just saying that just because someone might say the n-word doesn't mean that person is automatically racist because sometimes we say dumb things under dumb circumstances. Like in case of Pewdie, he said it because he got angry at a video game. Big assumption to mistake his intention to be "racial slurs are ok!".

Also you are literally talking about "exposing him" as racist and you are talking behind his back on unrelated website. When he didn't even say the word. So is he really wrong? 

Here is the history of the word:

In America, to justify slavery and its subsequent brutalities, the white American citizens needed to soothe away their cognitive dissonance by removing humanity from us. Once we were dehumanized, their treatment of us was more justifiable to their own minds.

Calling us 'n---rs' was one way of this dehumanization. It is not only a slur, it's a justification to treat us as less than human beings.

This is isn't hard. Every culture has taboo words and every country practices some form of political correctness. . Do you refer to your  mom as a whore or bitch despite it being common in rap lyrics?

Also, this: 

that's not real lol if you say the n word "on reflex" or whatever that means you say it so much it's inscribed a pathway in your brain, meaning pewdiepie must be calling people around him the n word every day. it doesn't "slip" out unless you say it a lot

Actually the history of that word is much longer and more convoluted than that. You can just google it. I should probably find actual books when I get the time. But anyway it isn't quite as you are describing it, the true prerogative nature of the word is lot more recent creation than slavery times. And even if you are right, again I ask why should we continue to give a power to a stupid word? Words are powerless and only have power that we give it to them. As for other cultures well good for them I guess. 

Also point is that he wasn't using it with racist intentions. Just as a random swear word. He might swear every day, who knows, but at the end of the day it was not said with racist intentions. Also he apologized and the whole stupid thing has been over for ages so why are we even digging out old shames? 

Oh right. Just to make it clear. I don't support using slurs and avoid using them. What I am against is overreacting if someone else uses it under any circumstance.   

The argument that the word "Nigger" is harmless because it's Latin and is the name of Nigeria overlooks a long history of social implications, usage, and complexities as much as it overlooks its etymological roots. For starters, the name of Nigeria is derived from the river Niger, which isn't sourced from the Latin languages but from Berber as "River of Rivers". Nigerians don't make a fuss about it, because they're the country of the River of Rivers. Or from the Berber relatives of the Tuareg: Egerew n-Igerewen. This was passed down to us by Leo Africanus.

While you might think that phonetically the name of Nigeria is derived from the Latin word for black, their two different instance of two words that mean different things from different languages, like "gift" in English and "gift" in German. You want a gift in English, gift in German kills you. Gift is poison auf deutsch.

The pejorative word "Nigger" is rooted from the Spanish and Portugese words for black people, which does have a Latin root meaning black. But is not the same as the meaning of Niger.

Now, etymology aside the fact of the matter is excusing the weight of the word as being little because of some originally harmless meaning (black) does nothing but overlook the social context of its use and history. By the 18th century the modern derivatives for Latin-black in the context of people began to be used to look down on people of darker skin, evolving with language trends and the evolution of English to become what it is today. But because of its broader context to describe a people who were all largely enslaved through much of anglo history. Even with slavery being abandoned by the British thirty-years before America, the mindset of the inferior black - the nigger - was an important meme to deploy in the imperial experiments in Africa and the civilization of Africa through colonization, turning the natives of the land into second class, unworthy citizens. Likewise the usage of the word to further differentiate the blacks who were enslaved and the free whites of America became a means by which the slavery was maintained or even bred out of the institution of slavery in a cycle of use. Attaching not just a recognition of difference in skin tone, by association and use the definition of and use of "nigger" took on to mean less developed people, as in the British Empire but also illustrated in America by Jefferson's writings on slavery proclaiming the African blacks as being naturally inferior; interestingly as contrasted against Washington's later development and admission that the African Blacks were inferior because of slavery, and not as Jefferson said that they're enslaved because of their perceived natural inferiority.

The emancipation of slaves really doesn't do much to overlook this or stop or change its use. The later Civil Rights movement(s) and the missions of such groups as the NAACP and the MLK's Southern Baptist Church helped to mark a trend to neutralize the effect of the N-word by replacing it all together with neutral terms that don't carry that historical weight. Because even over a century after the end of slavery and the weight, implications, and hate of the word "Nigger" or the aristocratically dated "Negro" still remains, and sweepingly ignoring all that history behind the word, by saying it doesn't matter, does little in actually healing it. As it stands, when spoken by a white person to describe a thing or a person it compares it by connotation to a black person, and implies both are the same thing, which has been the entire contemporary mission of the Civil Rights movement to surmount and defeat.

tl;dr - Words just don't mean just words, and using them without awareness of their connotations is an admission of ignorance or if with intent as being racist.

Gwailo may mean a white ghost or white devil literally. But it's direct and figuratively used to pejoratively describe white people.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

The argument that the word "Nigger" is harmless because it's Latin and is the name of Nigeria overlooks a long history of social implications, usage, and complexities as much as it overlooks its etymological roots. For starters, the name of Nigeria is derived from the river Niger, which isn't sourced from the Latin languages but from Berber as "River of Rivers". Nigerians don't make a fuss about it, because they're the country of the River of Rivers. Or from the Berber relatives of the Tuareg: Egerew n-Igerewen. This was passed down to us by Leo Africanus.

While you might think that phonetically the name of Nigeria is derived from the Latin word for black, their two different instance of two words that mean different things from different languages, like "gift" in English and "gift" in German. You want a gift in English, gift in German kills you. Gift is poison auf deutsch.

The pejorative word "Nigger" is rooted from the Spanish and Portugese words for black people, which does have a Latin root meaning black. But is not the same as the meaning of Niger.

Now, etymology aside the fact of the matter is excusing the weight of the word as being little because of some originally harmless meaning (black) does nothing but overlook the social context of its use and history. By the 18th century the modern derivatives for Latin-black in the context of people began to be used to look down on people of darker skin, evolving with language trends and the evolution of English to become what it is today. But because of its broader context to describe a people who were all largely enslaved through much of anglo history. Even with slavery being abandoned by the British thirty-years before America, the mindset of the inferior black - the nigger - was an important meme to deploy in the imperial experiments in Africa and the civilization of Africa through colonization, turning the natives of the land into second class, unworthy citizens. Likewise the usage of the word to further differentiate the blacks who were enslaved and the free whites of America became a means by which the slavery was maintained or even bred out of the institution of slavery in a cycle of use. Attaching not just a recognition of difference in skin tone, by association and use the definition of and use of "nigger" took on to mean less developed people, as in the British Empire but also illustrated in America by Jefferson's writings on slavery proclaiming the African blacks as being naturally inferior; interestingly as contrasted against Washington's later development and admission that the African Blacks were inferior because of slavery, and not as Jefferson said that they're enslaved because of their perceived natural inferiority.

The emancipation of slaves really doesn't do much to overlook this or stop or change its use. The later Civil Rights movement(s) and the missions of such groups as the NAACP and the MLK's Southern Baptist Church helped to mark a trend to neutralize the effect of the N-word by replacing it all together with neutral terms that don't carry that historical weight. Because even over a century after the end of slavery and the weight, implications, and hate of the word "Nigger" or the aristocratically dated "Negro" still remains, and sweepingly ignoring all that history behind the word, by saying it doesn't matter, does little in actually healing it. As it stands, when spoken by a white person to describe a thing or a person it compares it by connotation to a black person, and implies both are the same thing, which has been the entire contemporary mission of the Civil Rights movement to surmount and defeat.

tl;dr - Words just don't mean just words, and using them without awareness of their connotations is an admission of ignorance or if with intent as being racist.

Gwailo may mean a white ghost or white devil literally. But it's direct and figuratively used to pejoratively describe white people.

This. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on the images I posted about the person.

2 minutes ago, InfiniteDays said:

This. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on the images I posted about the person.

Zizek-Trash-2.gif

Both of you.

Being one of those N-Words myself, I feel like the PewDiePie situation was blown out of proportion. He was just spitting out the most awful word he could think of in the heat of the moment and didn't pass it through a personal filter that has to be on 24/7 when you're the most famous YouTuber in the world.

And in general I think we give slurs too much power as a society. We keep building up these Voldemorts when in truth the kinds of people who say that stuff and mean harm by it don't do a good job at disguising themselves. If someone is racist they make it pretty known and anyone who doesn't like them simply keeps a distance. They're definitely a vocal minority. Sucks they exist, but I don't think putting them up on every news channel is helping them go away.

There's no reasoning with prejudice. You can explain why they're wrong all day but they won't have a change of heart unless they experience and feel something that makes them come to a new conclusion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1