DictatorDuck

Fallout: Equestria!

Fallout: Equestria, the granddaddy of a subgenre of ponyfic and the fandom.

It's been a while since I read it but I remember really enjoying it despite my only experience of the game at the time being from rushing through Fallout 3 over a week. There are references to the games but they aren't necessary to read it.

If anyone's looking for a bit longer of a read, Project Horizons by Somber was finished earlier this year. It's a bit darker but I enjoyed it and its sequel quite a bit. I tend to avoid sad fics but these three are notable exceptions.

Any thought on these stories or other related fics?

Project Horizon's twilight is literally after the boat.

On another note: I've been in the process of planning out my own Fallout: Equestria side-fic, set sometime after the events of FoE. I don't have any details I want to divulge "publicly" as I'm still figure it out. But I have been illustrating parts of the idea to get a visual head on characters/environments.

eye_in_the_storm_by_aaronmk-daajhlz.jpg

http://aaronmk.deviantart.com/art/Eye-in-the-storm-622367207

I've been mulling it over more since I listened to Heroes at work via audiobook. Across that, the core story, and Project Horizons I've picked out some common themes that I would like to deviate from when I get around to writing. Only Pink Eyes seems to have broke from these.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh, I had no idea there was even a sequel to Project Horizons! Well, there goes a bunch of my free time...

Anyways, the original Fallout: Equestria was the first fanfiction I ever read, and wow, it was incredibly compelling. As a fan of both Fallout and FiM, the trademark elements from both series are there but there's something unique about the story and universe that makes it so fun to read. I also read Project Horizons and Pink Eyes, which were fun takes on the universe. It's all really cool, the work those authors have done is impressive!

Yes! Seeing this thread posted and as the first here makes me so happy and giddy with glee. I love, LOVE, L-O-V-E, love Fallout: Equestria everything. Especially the fan art and songs. All the good media. (Except spoilers, nobody hooked likes those. Avoiding Homelands spoilers now for when I do read PH's sequel.)

7 hours ago, Arcane Scroll said:

When I saw the EqD post, my first thought was "I best the first fanfic post will be FoE"... I love being right XD

Where I am so glad you are right. I was hoping to find a FoE thread here.

I've read the original Fallout: Equestria, Project Horizons, some side fics, etc. I still need to read Pink Eyes and will do so soon, finally.

6 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

To be honest I stopped reading PH sometime around chapter fifty-something and I haven't looked back since.

Honestly PH goes way overboard on the last volume chapters. It might be for the best for some readers. I'm still mixed feeling over the last volume and ending. How will Homelands fit in PH's overarching story.. with the time. Argh, I should't say more. Is there a spoiler button? Probably not yet.

Anyways, if you write a FoE sidefic I would definitely read it.

Just now, Canyon Light said:

Honestly PH goes way overboard on the last volume chapters. It might be for the best for some readers. I'm still mixed feeling over the last volume and ending. How will Homelands fit in PH's overarching story.. with the time. Argh, I should't say more. Is there a spoiler button?

[spoiler]
<Insert text here>
  [/spoiler]

Hmm, I cannot post text below a spoiler box it seems.

Standard HTML spoilers work? What a relief. I can say more now, but only if you want to know regarding PH. I kinda wish I didn't know sometimes. The below spoiler is just a test and not actual spoilers yet.

The details are trivial and pointless. Really. Although in one example of people wanting to know. Someone was lurking and didn't read the story and still wanted to know Morning Glory's status in PH. This thread needs some happiness in the depressing sea of brown. It isn't always about PH and Blackjack.

medium.png

i love FoE :awesomedash:

i have read the orginal, PH, Pink eyes and i just finisht starligth

i tryed to read Homelands but just started to cry :?

i can`t wait for more FoE fic`s to be done...:awesomedash:

Oh geez, this just reminded me that I'm still only up to chapter 23 and have been since Feb last year... should probably get around to finishing reading it sometime. :v

On August 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Novel Idea said:

Q8sDeW2T.png

Fallout: Equestria Pink Eyes

The astoundingly heartwarming story of Puppysmiles, the delightful filly from another time, looking for her mother in the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Fallout: Equestria. Definitely required reading for any fan of Fallout: Equestria. 

>thank you

>someone said it

• Like 1

I'm about to read Pink Eyes finally. After pulling through 20k worded chapters 5-6k chapters ought to be a breeze. Plus I know very little of the story itself, I only know who the main cover character is and that's it. Going in blind is exciting for these stories.

1243175__safe_solo_oc_blushing_straight_

1243322__safe_solo_oc_blushing_straight_

In non-meme related news, I'm beginning to iron out the weird shit that's been holding me back from doing my own FoE story. The next think to do would be to get it all down in notes and then sit down and write it someday.

On 9/6/2016 at 4:44 PM, AaronMk said:

Reveal hidden contents

1243322__safe_solo_oc_blushing_straight_

In non-meme related news, I'm beginning to iron out the weird shit that's been holding me back from doing my own FoE story. The next think to do would be to get it all down in notes and then sit down and write it someday.

Littlepip having a meme, moreso a Derpibooru tag for the meme.. is just great. My favorite:

medium.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Canyon Light said:

Littlepip having a meme, moreso a Derpibooru tag for the meme.. is just great. My favorite:

Hide contents

medium.jpeg

I am responsible for that one.

5 minutes ago, AaronMk said:

I am responsible for that one.

Indeed, you are. Thank you for that. :yay:

Here's a recent song from Stable-Tec Studios' The Balefire Symphony. I could take the time to appreciate much more of the various fan songs FoE has.

You mean fallout 3 with mlp crammed in no matter how illogical?  Yeah i'm not the biggest fan of Fallout Equestria. The legnth is what killed me mostly. Most published authors don't make chapters so long they require hours upon hours to finish. Well and other stuff i'm not a fan of but i'm not really an anylist. Sure there are good things in it but..Not equivant to it over blown hype by fallout fanboys.  

Main character a lesbain..yeah cause Celestia forbid you have a striaght protegist in the mlp fandom

Let it be known from shore to shore!

love Fallout. I love it.

love pones. I love them.

Now you're combining the two in one big mix?

Heck yeah! This is great!

Well, that's what is to be my reaction, at least in theory. Don't get me wrong, I really liked FoE and thought it was a real nice read, but there was just something about it that felt off to me :/

The Stables and the Metalhoarse? Loving it! The references to the games and the neat history? Adore it! It did a lot more than just "Fallout but pones" and I really do appreciate it! Kkat put a twist on a heck of a lot! It made the story familiar yet still mysterious to me. The thing is, some parts felt a little too drawn out for me, such as that nice prison place with street fighter in it. A tad long to me, and a heck of a lot of that "kind of uncomfortable but not quite" feeling throughout the entire thing. I'll be honest, I don't think that place was supposed to feel like I was taking a shower in a rainbow, so I'll definitely say it succeeded in making me feel cramped in!

And there were a lot of mature subjects that were handled in (mostly!) mature ways! There were even a good amount of comedic bits sprinkled throughout!

The violence felt fine to me, and the morbidity captures the wasteland in a better way than even the games did for me (because, let's be honest, I won't feel bad for punching a child in the snoot when "Ain't That A Kick in the Head" is playing.) Rightfully depressing! In a very bad/good way! I like it!

But to the pones? Okay, okay,that's going a little too far, mister.

I personally didn't enjoy it when I read that Twilight got addicted to book-cocaine and, as a last resort, engulfed Equestria in a great ball of flame to try to cure her addiction. Or, when I read that Rarity was stabbed to death with one of her own dresses.

It's a minor problem for me since pones, for me at least, are supposed to have a kind of "fun" vibe to it! It was always something cute for me, But I still love them sad fics!

I can still read all the fanfics where someone gets pancreatic cancer, and the fics where someone accidentally kills their niece with a paper cut spell, but they were always focused on a smaller scale. Even in the larger-feeling war fics I still won't nudge, but to have everything get pancreas cancer?

That's when I get just a tad uneasy. And the world just seemed mostly gloomy to me because of that :/

Still, I loved the fic, even if it was way too long for me to finish most chapters in one sitting!

The lesbians were still cool tho