The Illustrious Q

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #45 [Ponies of Dark Water Part 3]—Discussion Thread

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #45
Thom Zahler (w) • Tony Fleecs (a & c) • Sara Richard (sc) • Thom Zahler (ric) • Heather Breckel (colors)

“Ponies of Dark Water Part 3” Chaos reigns over Ponyville as normal ponies across town turn evil! It’ll be up to Spike and the Cutie Mark Crusaders, with the help of an unexpected ally, to save the day!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet Points:

• Twilight vs. Rarity! Pinkie vs. Everyone!

I wonder if Nightmare Moon will be an Angel of Darkness this time around.

This has been a fun little story arc to read. Sadly, nothing has been quite as entertaining or good to read since Return of Chrysalis, or the Nightmare Rarity story arc, or even the Mirror World arc. Those felt a little serious and thoughtful. This current story arc feels more like it should have been a two-part episode of MLP. Not saying it's bad, it just hasn't been very memorable. 

The definition of wasted potential imo. This arc would've benefited from one more comic, because they really rushed the s*** out of this

Pinkie, Twilight and Rarity felt like they were the only villains where they were gonna go anywhere with, and they hyped up Evil Rarity vs Evil Twilight only for it to last a couple of panels

Evil Fluttershy builds an entire army to attack Ponyville only to not do anything

AJ in general just makes a lame villain

And I'm certain they forgot about RD writing this, because she does f*** all as a villain and only shows up right when she's cured. So if you're an RD fan you're pretty much screwed over

Luna turning into Nightmare Moon again only to turn out to be faking it is pretty lame too

The method of curing Ponyville also feels incredibly rushed because by the time things finally start getting excited they immediately turn things back to normal

And for being the biggest bad of all, Twilight coming back to normal by a gag is also pretty lame

Like most arcs in the comics, it was interesting but the final comic completely ruins it :/