PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episode 9: Non-Compete Clause

Title: Non-Compete Clause

Synopsis: Applejack and Rainbow Dash take the friendship students on a teamwork learning field trip, and accidentally show the students how not to work together.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

This episode was... man...

AJ and RD arguing so much, especially RD. The award doesn't matter, like do your job (let's not forget that RD had some schadenfreude on AJ here and there). It's like the students were the only ones who really understood the message of the trip, and Twilight Sparkle was the only one who found some middle ground. 

• Like 1

This was a good episode. I like seeing more of the student six (Yona's still my fave since she's so clumsy yet enthusiastic. But Gallus is rising in the ranks with his practicality and his snark. Good combo.) It was a nice callback to Fall Weather Friends and Castle Mania to have Rainbow and AJ competing again. Pinkie Pie probably got the best line of the episode with her flowerpot joke. I liked seeing Twilight as the voice of reason. I think the school role really suits her, even more than I thought it did. I wish I'd had a principal half as understanding when I was in school.

• Like 1

I already watched it when it was leaked, and my thoughts remain the same. This episode is crap.

AJ and Rainbow Dash were completely OOC here, especially the latter for putting her focus on winning Teacher of the Month over the Student Six's safety while rowing. Thank God FIM's a piece of fiction, because had it be real-life, the school and Twilight might've had their plots sued for negligence.

This episode features easily my bottom moment of the season: Yona nearly drowning. You'd think for a second that Dash and AJ would stop acting competitive with each other, grow the fuck up, and learn to be teachers. Instead, they continue to qualify one of Neighsay's strongest criticisms of the School: AJ and RD act completely unqualified. You two, this isn't Fall Weather Friends; at least you two weren't that close at the time, and the stakes were much lower. Had they remained competent and in character, that canoeing accident wouldn't have happened, and Yona wouldn't have to have her life saved.

The dialogue itself is lousy. Clunky, forced, and painfully unfunny.

To make it worse, this episode feels a lot like filler. After thy learned how their competitive behavior got in the way, they started arguing again, and it was all back to square one.

The only saving graces here are Twilight calling Dash and AJ out for their shit (and threatening to take over the field trip after Yona nearly drowned) and Dash and AJ getting nominated for TotM — them risking that reward will make them think about how stupid they behaved on the trip.

Overall, a major thumbs down.

I really need to watch Fall Weather Friends.

As for this episode itself... outside Dark Qiviut's point about AJ and RD being every bit as incompetent as Neighsay said they were, I thought this episode was meh.

• Like 1

A lot of other people are gonna take up all the behaviour and consistency issues, and I talk a little about those in my own thread, so I'm just gonna reiterate here that this episode is boring. This is more or less exactly how Applejack/Rarity episodes come across to me, though this is a fair bit more sloppy and simplistic. I don't like this kind of thing, and I have precious little patience for the show continuing to portray the characters I actually care about so obnoxiously. Like last season, this one has the feel that the writers just don't get the old characters or what made them so popular, and it's deeply alienating to me. 

• Like 1

I don't consider this episode to be high on my list of liked episodes, as watching two ponies argue is basically the entire episode wrapped up in a nutshell. Like many others have said before, it's like the season 1 episode "Fall Weather Friends". It disappoints me that the teachers failed, and that the students had to take the initiative. Despite all that, I did enjoy the episode anyways, especially the student six - they were great in this episode. On that topic, I can't help but mention Ocellus's form she took when creating a distraction to save Applejack and Rainbow Dash. She made a fantastic performance, and I really enjoyed it.

Gallus and Ocellus by Vector-Brony

LOL, I was like Gallus in this image when I first saw Ocellus take that form - except my mouth was wide open and I was saying "what!!!!" in astonishment. Come on, you probably did the same! Those teeth look soo massive and intimidating, yet her expression seems so kind. I don't know...maybe it's just me, I might be going crazy.

Image by Vector-Brony

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 10:51 PM, WaterPulse said:

I really need to watch Fall Weather Friends.

It's a pretty good episode. Some good worldbuilding, and a really nice twist at the end.

• Like 2

I...I dunno, guys.

I cannot say that I enjoyed this rivalry/bickering between RD and AJ. Which is quite a shame because I like those two (just like the rest of Mane 6) and it is sadly not a good sign when their students, you know, those whom they were supposed to teach, end up figuring things out on their own while their teachers are mostly busy outcooling one another, behaving sometimes kind of irresponsible towards their students.

Student 6 were great. I really like them. I think I am starting to understand why everypony like Ocellus so much.

...but I still stick to that extra-positive birb named Silverstream :3

It was also great to see Twilie being voice of reason here. My sweet Twii...I digress.

I am extra eager to hear your opinion on RD and AJ's behavior. Maybe somepony can say something in their defense?

• Like 1

About a week later, and the stand-out highlight of the episode is definitely:

1732819__safe_screencap_gallus_rainbow+d

Gallus's Meta Guy moment, revealing that the writers knew exactly how tiring the constant bickering would be.

• Like 1

I only managed to see it right now... I paused the video at the 50s mark so that I could write this, and then I'll keep watching it. The plot is going to be Rainbow and Applejack do something stupid because they're putting their competition above their job in the school. It's going to be stupid and I'm going to regret watching this.

I swear. If this turns out wrong, I'll leave it here to admit I was wrong, but if I was right, I'll post nothing more and just let this sink in.

But I can't! Twilight LITERALLY spells it out, and the episode does nothing with this. If Twilight was using the two to make a point, that would've been pretty clever, but no. Twilight had to appear in the middle of the episode and actually expect things were going fine.

And I thought I had gone past the worst until the two of them started fast-talking Twilight.

Then the episode repeats itself in reverse. And that ending... That fucking ending. At least the episode didn't have the nerve to make Twilight say it was all a plan. Now I see why people were afraid of school episodes.

The moral of the story is: do not make you characters stupid for the sake of a plot. Do not make them stupid so that the characters you want to look good fix the problem. Instead, write a better story. And while at it, don't reduce your characters to a single point of personality each. This is literally the opposite of everything that makes this cartoon good.

Twilight, you are becoming Celestia. Stop it. And, Neighsay! Please! Come back and shut this place down! Good... God... Was this episode stupid AND annoying. To the point of being insulting.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

@Metemponychosis

I agree with everything you say here, but I'll add that my main concern is that the show won't do anything with the new characters. Turns out they did, and it wasn't good.

It's such a shame! I really like the students and wanted to see the cartoon doing something nice with them.

• Like 1

Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash have always been hardheaded, so yeah, it was bound to erupt sooner or latter. Absolutely loved the kids (Yona whistling when scared and Ocellus monster fish were priceless). Good episode, and it taught a good lesson about teamwork and responsibility.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2018 at 10:41 PM, WaterPulse said:

@Metemponychosis

I agree with everything you say here, but I'll add that my main concern is that the show won't do anything with the new characters. Turns out they did, and it wasn't good.

I think the new characters are neat and it kinda bugs me that they're basically indistinguishable from each other here, but I'll at least admit that it makes the students I didn't like a bit less annoying. 

I was excited for the school because it seemed like it would be a breath of fresh air, but so far it kinda seems like same old, same old. 

• Like 1

It's Fall Weather Friends all over again, AJ and RD being competitive again, that's the only thing I didn't enjoy in this episode. Only good thing about this is the Young 6 screen time. And also, Ocellus turning into a Seapony and a Bite-acuda.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:59 AM, GunPla_NiNJa4 said:

It's Fall Weather Friends all over again, AJ and RD being competitive again, that's the only thing I didn't enjoy in this episode. Only good thing about this is the Young 6 screen time. And also, Ocellus turning into a Seapony and a Bite-acuda.

It is Fall Weather Friends, but worse. Fall Weather Friends was in season one, and they were participating in an actual competition. Here, it's season eight and they had six kids to keep track of.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, ABronyAccount said:

About a week later, and the stand-out highlight of the episode is definitely:

1732819__safe_screencap_gallus_rainbow+d

Gallus's Meta Guy moment, revealing that the writers knew exactly how tiring the constant bickering would be.

Like teacher. Like student.