PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episode 10: The Break Up Break Down

Title: The Break Up Break Down

Synopsis: It's Hearts and Hooves Day and Big Mac has romantic plans for Sugar Belle, but the day takes a turn when he overhears his special pony tell Mrs. Cake she's planning on breaking up with him!

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

So, this is a pretty good episode. The whole situation that Big Mac had over her girlfriend with the CMC added in was pretty interesting. I loved Discord being in this episode. Nice seeing Derpy at the mail office too. 

• Like 3

I don't know who was nuts enough to think Discord, Spike, and Big Mac would make a great team, but whoever it is, thank you! This dynamic is outstanding. Big Mac, Spike, and Discord all act like they knew each other for years, even though this trio only formed in season 6. It's organic, they play off one another, and share great chemistry.

Speaking of chemistry, Spike and Discord are outstanding in their best outings in probably the show. Discord's cynicism towards H&HD, and love in particular, plays off spectacularly with Spike, who's very optimistic. To think that only a few seasons ago, Discord was one of his enemies, but from the way they talked to each other and knew each other so well, you wouldn't think so. How they interacted with one another was among the multi-dozens highlights here, such as Spike criticizing Discord's pessimism to Spike intentionally teasing Discord for possibly having a crush on Fluttershy to Discord ignoring Spike's sappy romantic poem about Rarity. They know how to get under each other's skin without crossing the line, making their teasing all in good fun rather than mean-spirited.

One of the season's biggest improvements — the dialogue — is really shown here. Every line's so organic, even when it's somewhat expository, gelling together. Every line oozed with personality and passion, whether it's from the O&O squad or the CMCs. The dialogue allows for not just some amazing comedy, but also some heart. More 'bout the latter later.

The comedy here is golden! Every joke landed perfectly, from the dialogue responses to the satirically cheesy love music playing in the background as Big Mac rushes to Sugar Belle to Big Mac's drinking a barrel-load of cider to Sweetie's "Please say no." Oh, yeah, and that jab towards the greeting card industry by Discord is too funny.

Oh, yeah…

>Lyra and Bob Bon sharing H&HD bond & gifts

>best friends

Riiiiiiiight. XP

The CMCs were also fantastic here. All season so far, they've been at their A-game. The episode recognizes them as kids, but doesn't make them so obnoxious. They were right to wonder where that mysterious pie came from and search high and low to find him. But the and does a nice swerve: They may not have found that actual special somepony for SB, but had a magnificent time together, anyway. Sweetie's small speech at the end had quite a lot of heart in it.

Speaking of heart, as hilarious as TBUBD is, Confalone found how to balance it perfectly. Big Mac's sadness was somewhat over the top, but treated with the respect it deserves. His romantic feelings with Sugar Belle feel genuine, and you can tell by how he talked about the small stuff to Skeleanor, like how Sugar snorts and wiggles her nose when she giggles (something that Nyactis Mewcis Catlum pointed out a while ago in a status). Big Mac doesn't talk much, so when he does, you listen. After they cleared up everything, it was all okay again, and they had a great end to Hearts & Hooves Day.

Discord's revelation of finally believing in romance works perfectly and marks my moment of the season so far: revealing to damage her wagon wheel. Why? 'Cause he believes it while remaining in character and figured out how to get them back together his way. Somehow, he predicted what Big Mac was going to do next. Really shows he cares for him as a friend.

Derpy was great in her role as mailmare. :D

Oh, and it has two morals, each executed masterfully:

1. "Don't assume. Communicate with your friends, and everything will work itself out."

2. "Don't be afraid to openly admit your feelings. Those who care for you will listen and understand." This one is my favorite of the season so far, because it's so relatable to everyone.

When I first watched it in December, I watched a treat. Seeing it completed gives it such a fresh look, and it still holds up excellent. The Break Up Break Down isn't just the best episode of Season 8 so far, but one of the ten best of the show altogether, as well. :D

• Like 5

There's nothing especially wrong with this but it's really cliched and predictable, even down to the jokes, which are nicely timed but not very creative. I often enjoy romance stories, but I can't really relate to them unless they stumble across some kind of universal theme, and because so much of the banter is either sappy stuff about the value of love or predictable reactions to the misunderstanding plot, I didn't have too much fun with this. It's alright I guess. 

7 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I don't know who was nuts enough to think Discord, Spike, and Big Mac would make a great team, but whoever it is, thank you! This dynamic is outstanding. Big Mac, Spike, and Discord all act like they knew each other for years, even though this trio only formed in season 6. It's organic, they play off one another, and share great chemistry.

Speaking of chemistry, Spike and Discord are outstanding in their best outings in probably the show. Discord's cynicism towards H&HD, and love in particular, plays off spectacularly with Spike, who's very optimistic. To think that only a few seasons ago, Discord was one of his enemies, but from the way they talked to each other and knew each other so well, you wouldn't think so. How they interacted with one another was among the multi-dozens highlights here, such as Spike criticizing Discord's pessimism to Spike intentionally teasing Discord for possibly having a crush on Fluttershy to Discord ignoring Spike's sappy romantic poem about Rarity. They know how to get under each other's skin without crossing the line, making their teasing all in good fun rather than mean-spirited.

One of the season's biggest improvements — the dialogue — is really shown here. Every line's so organic, even when it's somewhat expository, gelling together. Every line oozed with personality and passion, whether it's from the O&O squad or the CMCs. The dialogue allows for not just some amazing comedy, but also some heart. More 'bout the latter later.

The comedy here is golden! Every joke landed perfectly, from the dialogue responses to the satirically cheesy love music playing in the background as Big Mac rushes to Sugar Belle to Big Mac's drinking a barrel-load of cider to Sweetie's "Please say no." Oh, yeah, and that jab towards the greeting card industry by Discord is too funny.

Oh, yeah…

>Lyra and Bob Bon sharing H&HD bond & gifts

>best friends

Riiiiiiiight. XP

The CMCs were also fantastic here. All season so far, they've been at their A-game. The episode recognizes them as kids, but doesn't make them so obnoxious. They were right to wonder where that mysterious pie came from and search high and low to find him. But the and does a nice swerve: They may not have found that actual special somepony for SB, but had a magnificent time together, anyway. Sweetie's small speech at the end had quite a lot of heart in it.

Speaking of heart, as hilarious as TBUBD is, Confalone found how to balance it perfectly. Big Mac's sadness was somewhat over the top, but treated with the respect it deserves. His romantic feelings with Sugar Belle feel genuine, and you can tell by how he talked about the small stuff to Skeleanor, like how Sugar snorts and wiggles her nose when she giggles (something that Nyactis Mewcis Catlum pointed out a while ago in a status). Big Mac doesn't talk much, so when he does, you listen. After they cleared up everything, it was all okay again, and they had a great end to Hearts & Hooves Day.

Discord's revelation of finally believing in romance works perfectly and marks my moment of the season so far: revealing to damage her wagon wheel. Why? 'Cause he believes it while remaining in character and figured out how to get them back together his way. Somehow, he predicted what Big Mac was going to do next. Really shows he cares for him as a friend.

Derpy was great in her role as mailmare. :D

Oh, and it has two morals, each executed masterfully:

1. "Don't assume. Communicate with your friends, and everything will work itself out."

2. "Don't be afraid to openly admit your feelings. Those who care for you will listen and understand." This one is my favorite of the season so far, because it's so relatable to everyone.

When I first watched it in December, I watched a treat. Seeing it completed gives it such a fresh look, and it still holds up excellent. The Break Up Break Down isn't just the best episode of Season 8 so far, but one of the ten best of the show altogether, as well. :D

I hope you don't mind, but I made use of your suggested morals for the TV Tropes page for the episode.

• Like 2

I was pretty sleep deprived when I first saw this so I decided to give it another chance. Turns out jokes work much better when you're more awake. 

I think what this episode carried off particularly well was the weaving together of sub-plots and call-backs. Compared to the average episode they were throwing a few different things at the viewer and all of them came together by the end. The consistency with previous episodes was also welcome, including Captain Wuzz's parsnip talons. Stuff like weaving in Spike's "wacky cousin" theory then confirming it and having Big Mac's reaction be an immediate "... wait until I tell Spike!" That's gold, right there!

Definitely my favorite of the outright romance-themed episodes so far.

1737347__safe_edit_edited+screencap_scre 

(Kinda weird they picked the "YOU EXIST" edit of the inset image, but oh well)

• Like 1

Yes! Discord! Please, deliver me from the torment of the past episode! Also, Discord's definition of Heart's and Hooves Day... I love you, Discord.

Well, the cartoon sure has a very realistic portrayal of postal systems...

With that said, I don't like these 'misunderstanding' stories. They always feel too predictable and played out for me. Especially in a cartoon like this, where you know they're going to get back together. But I felt the episode managed it well enough. If you're going to do something clichéd, do it right and it can work. Nothing special, but good enough.

Anyway... I think Discord gives this episode a huge breath of fresh air, and without him, it wouldn't have been nearly as good. Man... Did he save this episode.

Even though I have to admit that Big Mac's moment with Sugar Belle was nice and so was the CMC's part as a whole, to the end.

In the end, it's a good episode, and, compared to the last one, it's wonderful.

So, this episode reminded me of something that happened to me some years back and I decided to share because I think it's somewhat related and funny. Though some of you may find it to be sad or pathetic. Anyway, you might just have fun, because I did.

I really liked this one. There was some humor (Skelenor, Sweetie Belle telling Snips and Snails she won't be offended if they're not her secret admirer) and plenty of heart. Even in the background was some sweetness such as Lyra and BonBon and Maud Pie and Mud Briar. I'm glad it was just a misunderstanding between Big Mac and Sugar Belle and that they made up at the end. It would have been nice to see a few more characters in the background but over all I liked this and barely noticed the Mane 6 weren't involved. I don't usually like Discord but he was sweet to mess up the wheel so Big Mac had time to catch up to Sugar Belle and patch things up. 8/10 would watch again.

• Like 3

I liked this episode too :HappyPinkie:

Loved to see the O&O trio getting an episode once more. Liked Discord's shenanigans and interactions with Spike and Big Mac a lot. Big Mac in-love looks funny (I also remember him bouncing lovingly in Hearts and Hooves Day. That was pure gold!), but who knew that he can be such a crybaby :lol:. Also, drunk-on cider RD is officially no longer in season. Big Mac is! :haha:

That lovely bit of CMC in the episode has also been a nice sweet touch.

Was it kind of predictable with misunderstanding and stuff? Probably, but it played out nicely and ended well, and that is good.

P.S: SugarMac is a really adorable couple!

• Like 2

I loved this episode! The characters were well handled in my opinion, as well as the world building. I never would have guessed the way ponies did their mail and how their postal office functioned, and it makes me wonder whether this system is exclusively used in Ponyville, and how the other Equestrian postal systems work if it isn't. Aside from that, I also appreciate the morals that were taught and how they were taught. Overall, I think that this episode is a great success, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 3