PinkiePie97

Season 8, Episode 13: The Mean 6

Title: The Mean 6

Synopsis: Queen Chrysalis returns and is ready to exact her revenge on Starlight Glimmer and the Mane 6!

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

Chrysalis's magic has tended to be underwhelming compared to what powerhouses like NMM, Discord, Sombra, and Tirek are capable of; not so much anymore (dat Mean 6 ritual, tho).

Hopefully, Woobieshy and those animals can resolve things offscreen.

And lastly, don't screw with the Tree Of Harmony -- yikes!

The case of a comeback gone horribly wrong. The copies going against Chrysalis is what made this episode really fun. It seems that they're not into going after the Mane Six anymore, rather they just wanna do their own thing. What amazing is that the real Mane Six were unable to see that they were copies when coming across them in a negative mood and non of the real ones notice it. They just take it has "hey, that's *insert name here*. 

• Like 1

There's not a whole lot going on here aside from specific jokes, so all I really have to say here is that this rules. Nonetheless... here goes, point by point:

• This is a very good idea and it's executed very well. I enjoyed every single joke here, and found the misunderstandings sufficiently witty that they didn't feel tedious. I like that the Discorded personalities have actually been expanded on, and in the case of Twilight and Pinkie changed for maximum humour. The style just feels a lot like the first two seasons, which I positively adore. Season 8 has something for everybody. 
  • Chrysalis talking to herself and failing in her villainous plans is something I never knew I wanted. She was always the villain I had the most fun hating, and her combination of sincere villainy and total ineptitude here is comedic gold. Nothing she did here really seemed to matter, but I don't mind that. Forget a reformation, make her the Wile E. Coyote of this show. It'd be awesome. 
  • Chrysalis's disguise as a photographer pony is amazing and I wish that was a real character that could hypothetically return. 
  • There's barely a moral here, but I'm totally okay with that. Yet again, I'm glad this show is putting humour and story over moralizing, as it just makes for better television in my opinion. It's replaced with much smaller, more specific emotional beats, which are also admittedly minor but much preferred. Besides, the little stuff we got - "all this crazy stuff is fine as long as we're together" and "our friendship is strong enough to overcome our differences" - works really well for the story at hand. 
  •  Too bad Evil Twilight won't return. She'd be a really fun villain. 
  • Wonder what Starlight's evil counterpart would be. 
  • Admittedly, the reason for Fluttershy to split off is a little contrived. Wouldn't she tell the others where she's going first? 
  • That's all I got. This is just all jokes, all the time, and it's delightful. 
  • Also, I have never related to Starlight more than when she said she hates the outdoors. 

Score:
Entertainment: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Themes: 7/10
 Story: 8/10
Overall: 85/100

•  
  • Like 1

LIVE!, On this Sunday Morning (6-10-2018), I give my review and take on the Mid-Season 8 Finale, "The Mean 6", and talk about the various things that some fans found good and not good about it.

Comments are Welcomed

This episode felt like a complete waste. A waste of a plot. A waste of characters/antagonists. A waste of a conflict. And the deaths of the Mean Six was hideous and horrible.

8 hours ago, bwrosas said:

LIVE!, On this Sunday Morning (6-10-2018), I give my review and take on the Mid-Season 8 Finale, "The Mean 6", and talk about the various things that some fans found good and not good about it.

Comments are Welcomed

I said what I had to here. And I still believe the mystery for the Mane 7 not knowing adds more intugie to the situation.  As the mystery as to why the Tree didn't get Chrysalis, when it got the Mean 6, I mean it should have sense her magic inside of them, but still it didn't go after her.  Which I as one rift café member put it, it can sense the worthiness and good in creatures, so did it not go after Chrysalis, because it could sense some good in her?  Makes you wonder.

Also as I mentioned in the video, I believe S8 (most examplified by this episode and others before it) is going to be a season that truly test the Mane 7's friendship, I mean 

Spoiler

you have upcoming episodes in the 2nd half that focus on RD's and Rarity's Friendship, Pinkie's friendship with other Mane 7, etc.,

, also I believe this season is not going to be a test for their friendship, but one that shows true friendship is accepting Friends for they are and their likes and dislikes.

And I ended the video with, they are going to really have to step their game in the 2nd half and go from being 50/50, like this first half was, to something like 80/20 (in a positive way).

But we have to wait and see.

Good news for me, is I got the whole first half recorded onto DVD via my DVD Recorder, thanks to me DVRing the episodes when they aired, so I could DVD record them later on.

Comments are Welcomed

Something interesting I noticed was that the scene featuring twilight and the rest of the mane 6 "melting" was actually toned down a little between the pre-release footage and the official release. I made a quick video comparison of the two:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

And the deaths of the Mean Six was hideous and horrible.

Have to agree on that.

In my opinion, it was an interesting episode. They should have done more episodes like this in earlier seasons with earlier villains but with a bit more character dvelopement.

7 hours ago, Yaop said:

Something interesting I noticed was that the scene featuring twilight and the rest of the mane 6 "melting" was actually toned down a little between the pre-release footage and the official release. I made a quick video comparison of the two:

Wow! That was interesting. (And horrifying)

And as a personal fan of looking at the evolutions of effects, graphics, sound effects, scenes, cgi, cut stuff etc., in movies, games and tv shows over the course of the production i say this video deserves lots of views and likes. ;)

This episode surprised me in many ways. I thought this episode would be Chrysalis's last, but thankfully it was not. She deserves a 2-part episode since she is the only unreformed villain that has been around since season two. The mean six undoubtedly are the reversed sides of the mane six that the evil Discord manipulated, and it was great to see them return in season 8. What also astonished me was how the tree of harmony defended itself from the attack. Overall, I would consider this episode to be one of the best season 8 has offered so far. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yaop said:

I liked the original melting face better.

I'm afraid I didn't like this one. I wasn't a fan of the discorded Mane 6 earlier so seeing similar dopplegangers did nothing for me. I didn't like how easily they feel for the phonys and some of their issues still weren't resolved by the story's end (Fluttershy and the animals who feared and were angry with her.) Plus, I think the 'deaths' of the clones was a little too creepy for the target audience. I did like Chrysalis' "shutter bug" disguise, it was probably my favorite part of the episode but sadly the rest didn't click with me. I have enjoyed most of this season so I'm okay with there being an episode that just wasn't for me.

First what I want to say is that it was damn time for there to be a proper villain episode that wasn't two part episode. This episode certainly was fun and it helps a lot to flesh out Chrysalis  And do I even need to mention how much fun actress must have had playing evil versions of their usual characters?

Which kind makes me sad that they are already gone. I mean Evil Dash and Pinkie didn't even get to do anything, Rarity, AJ and especially Twilight stole the spotlight. All good things come in small packages I suppose.

Oh and I have to be honest. I found mane six reconciliation lackluster, especially since they  just shrugged of that they saw each other acting completely unreasonably. Only Dash one time wondered if evil Evil Rarity was under a curse or affected by poison joke.

• Like 1

Hello hello hello, EVERYPONY! And today I gonna try something different. I haven't read any of your comments for now, and right now I am starting to watch the episode. And instead of outright giving my opinion on it overall, I am going to propel me thoughts on those moments that IMO deserve to be commented as I go through it. With that said, on we go!

[COMMENCE WATCHING]

Hey, Ms. Photographer! Ya forgot Spike the Dragon!

OOH! Chryssie! It's Chryssie, everypony! :O

Nice to get some direct focus on her as she is plotting her nasty thing. And my colt! She sure thing is bitter about Starlight making her hive disappearing from her life.

Clones?

...HOORAY! Mane 6 don't get to be brainwashed. And I was afraid that it's going to be Ponies of the Dark Water horror again. Thank Faust!

Awwww. Mane 6 going out to hang out with one another being friends. Always a candy to see that when it happens ^_^

Easy on Flutty, Pinka!

Oooh. I feel you, Starlight. It's hard to be a new part in the group that has already been established. Also...was Dashie suspecting a RariJack going on there? :3

Awwww <3

Such a friendromantic place, Twilie ^_^

Wait a sec......DISCORDED 6, IS THAT YOU?! :O

'twitch' 

Oh no. As...as much as I am aware that 'twitch' is not Twilie, I gotta say that hearing her voice and seeing her face and saying those foul 'twitch' words - that all apparently seems to be enough to trigger some trau-'twitch'-traumatic memories.

Pinka loves roses, everypony! :HappyPinkie:

I remember my first time in a camp. Came back barely alive. 3 words, Starlight: Hang. In. There.

Caringforcrittersshy :yay:

Looks like there are still times when it's too much Pinka for Twilie :P

Pretty interesting idea to make Chrysalis and her Mean 6 clones being that kind of buffoonish villains that can't normally work together. Let's see how it goes. Meanshy is however...

I wonder how great would be the amounts of Twilove I shall require after all the exposure to Meanlight Sparkle...

.........ARENTCHA LOOKING FOR THE TREE??

Wait, Pinkie, how are you not surprised by "Twilight" not knowing where the Tree is at? Oh well, I'll consider this one of your shenanigans for now.

No, Cutieshy! That's no Rainbow!

LOL! I can't help it. That reaction gave me a laugh.

Looks like this camping takes greater toll on Starlight that mine did on me.

Watch out, everypony! Chryssie can be really really really mean.

Faust almighty, Meanshy! :(

And now Cutieshy must suffer the consequences! :( :( 

Meanrity is Gollum! :lol:

Rarity seems to be suspecting something...

WHAAAT??? Pinka can rainbowfy herself at will without a sequence?

POOR ANDREA! Yes, comfort her please, Libman.:sadpie:

Meanlight STOP! Ya really disgust me :angrytwi:

Um...Pinkie, didn't you see where the actual Twilie came from? Now Twilie is bitter too :sadtwi:

Serious vibes from that comic... :twitch:

Meanrity is kind of fun, I gotta admit.

Hey AppleDash, you two are kinda onto something, you know :P

EPIC GREEDY FAIL, everypony :lol:

That greedlaugh:haha:

Poor Starly! :sadpie:

RariJack implication continues >:3

Starlight Glimmer? Weren't you plotting revenge on Mane 6 too?

Angry Pinka boop!

Um...you didn't ruin anything, Twilie. But Thankies for making me glad because of your peaceful way of trying to resolve the issue ^_^

Nothing like reconciliating Pinkie-hugs for Twilie <3

Like you, Fluttershy? We LOVE YOU!

Looks like Glimmy is slowly but surely integrating in the group...I think.

Ewwww. Disgusting!

Tree's got them! What's gonna...whoa.

Well that was quick.

Oh Pinkie. The Element of Laughter at its finest :HappyPinkie:

[COMMENCE CLOSURE]

Well well. This episode was actually pretty alright. How mighty has Chryssie: all by herself with no army and stuff, having to cope with not so obedient servants. Cool to see Discorded 6 again (except for Meanlight Sparkle!). They remind me of the Rowdyruff Boys...sort of. At  least it all ended well and friendly :)

I now gonna go and get some Twi-love after that impostor.

P.S: about Mean 6 "deaths": I dunno. Meanlight's "you ruined everything!" proved to be distracting enough for me to not consider it dark or violent enough. But the leaked version sure looked closer to that.

Well, how was it, everypony? I probably won't do it again. Takes too much time :P

• Like 1

One of the things I really like about this episode is that it did not set up an epic showdown between The Forces of Good and The Clones of Evil. Instead, it showed how evil is self-defeating in the end, and how narrow self-interest leads to unresolvable conflict rather than success. Cooperation, consideration, and genuine compassion for others its what gets you through the dark and treacherous Forest of Conflicts and MisunderstandingsTM to the Campsite of Having a Good TimeTM*
Chrysalis relied on evil to achieve the goal, and failed because of it. Twilight relied on friendship, and succeeded. When mean-spirited jabs and misunderstandings caused trouble within the Mane 6, they didn't self-destruct. Despite how hard it was at the time, they did come to put things behind them and move on, enjoying each other's company again. When the 6 Enam** constantly ran into each other's flaws, they were never able to overcome it all and work together as a team. Thus their ultimate and melty failure was a result of their friendship-free lifestyle. Evil for its own sake is, as it has always been, a TPK.

I also like the lack of an epic showdown between The Forces of Good and The Clones of Evil because it continues the MLP tradition of non-violent resolutions. Despite the fact that powered-up Twilight was able to go hoof-to-hoof with Tirek, for example, that didn't accomplish anything and the story there was only resolved by an ill-conceived one-time equus-ex-machina mandated from on high to sell a new line of toys uh, the power of friendship. POINT IS, the answer was not to settle things with violence.

So some may have been disappointed that there wasn't a throw-down between the two groups, but not me. I actually would have been disappointed if they'd gone in that direction instead.

* I may need to workshop those names a bit.
** I'm keeping this one. IT'S MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

• Like 2

If I learned anything, it's that the evil clones of the ponies are uncannily like the Koopa Kids and I really hope they come back in the future. I had a lot of fun with this episode, and I agree that sometimes a one episode villain story is perfectly fine.

Speaking of which, a young Tabitha St. Germaine played Wendy Koopa in the 1990 Super Mario 3 show. It turns out playing a psycho girly kleptomaniac is old news for Tabs. :rariwat:

• Haha 1