"My Season 8 Theories" by AnalyticalGamer

Warning! contains season 8 spoilers

Introduction 

This post contains all my current season 8 theories based on the released episodes. Note that only half of season 8 has been released, so I may post more theories during or at the end of the second half of season 8 depending on the circumstances. While I call them all theories, there are a few that are more of facts that have been gained through observations rather than theories, and I will be sure to point this out. I also will use some canonical information that will assist in developing my theories. You might notice how I state a fact or use some canonical information then place a portion of my theory right in with it for it to make sense – I will do the best I can to distinguish my theories from these facts and information, but I might make a mistake or be unclear, so please point anything out where I messed up. One last thing before I begin, most of these theories basically fill in the holes that My Little Pony S8 left unfilled and provide potential explanations to these unstated concepts. Feel welcome to expound on my theories and share your own! 

Theory 1: Why Ember is Angrier in Season 8 than the Previous Seasons 

Before I begin, I must explain a concept that will assist in my theory's development; also, this concept is more of a fact rather than a theory. Obviously, there is a time gap between the Movie and S8, because (1) the School of Friendship suddenly appears, (2) the pirates re-build their ship, and (3) the kingdom of the Hippogriffs is rebuilt. I have no idea how long the time gap is, but I will say that it probably ranges from 1 week to 1 year. With that being said, I shall now move on to my theory. 

Why does Ember act angrier in season 8 (episodes 1 and 2 in particular)? I think there is a background to this – something happened to her before she was first seen in S8 ep 1. In the time gap I previously explained, I theorize that something happened in the dragon-land – something that irritated Ember. I would say that a fight occurred since Ember was trying to enforce a new rule that the dragons must share their feelings with each other to become friends (S7 ep 15), and this probably backfired making them fight even more. She said it herself, competing is in their nature, and I don't think any-creature would change that easily, especially dragons. After this occurred, I think Smolder put up a small fight and was highly reluctant to go to the School of Friendship, making Ember even more angry. On top of all that, she gets offended by Neighsay which makes her even more frustrated. The result is an increase of hostility and anger that was set off as soon as Neighsay revealed his 'speciesism'. 

Theory 2 Part 1: How the Hippogriff Pearl Works 

I was thinking how every single Hippogriff possessed one very small fraction of the pearl, and a few questions came to my mind. How many pieces are left? What does the Queen do when she is out of the pieces and new baby Hippogriffs are born? Are there more pearls out there? I will provide a theory to answer these questions, but there are more possibilities out there.  

I don't know how many pieces are left, but I will assume at least a few since every single Hippogriff seen already has one (except the children); furthermore, I assume that because it is very unlikely to have just enough pieces of the same size for every single Hippogriff. The second answer is the answer to both the second and third questions. I theorize that there are more pearls that have similar characteristics to the one we saw in the Movie. This would mean that the Queen doesn't need to worry about running out of pearl shards and new baby hippogriffs being unable to change forms. On the negative side, multiple pearls would also pose a slight danger and responsibility to the hippogriffs, as there are more pearls to protect from those who would want to use those pearls for evil and selfish purposes. 

Theory 2 Part 2: How Hippogriff Children Earn Their Necklaces 

I re-watched episode 6 about a week and a half after it aired, and something sparked my attention – why did no child hippogriff had a necklace? This leads me to my final part of my theory. I think that the children hippogriffs must earn their necklaces, just like how a child pony must earn his or her cutie mark. This would mean that Terramar was not in a position that is comparable to that of earning a cutie mark because he would have already earned his necklace. This final question that comes up about this part of my theory – how do hippogriffs earn their necklaces? I think the simple answer is that they must wait until they become old enough. Of course, this answer would mean that hippogriffs earning their necklaces are not like ponies earning their cutie marks in the sense that there is no special talent to be earned; rather, a special privilege is received at a certain age. 

Theory 3: Celestia is Immune to Phoenix Feathers 

According to season 8 episode 11, ponies' ears clog up when exposed to phoenix feathers. This makes me wonder...since Celestia has a pet phoenix, does she ever have clogged up ears from this? Not as far as we know of, so I theorize that Celestia is immune to the phoenix feather effects. Celestia has the power to raise the sun, and phoenixes have sun-like abilities as well, which would render their feathers' effects as harmless to Celestia. One question arises from this theory – is this immunity only for Celestia, or do all alicorns possess it? I think it is only for Celestia. I say this because alicorns are like unicorns when it comes to magic, and Rarity was affected by phoenix feathers. Also, alicorns are ponies and Zecora most likely was referring to pony-kind in general when she said that ponies' ears clog up from phoenix feathers.