Steamworks

S6 - Episode 17 - Discussion

Where to watch:
(Some of the pages have the episode title in them already. If you can't bear to even know that, you should probably avoid them until it's time for the episode.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/4c13r3/mlpfim_season_6_episode_streams/

(The Cart Before the Ponies, 28 Pranks Later, and The Times They Are A Changeling are airing as a run up to the new episode. If you're behind, here's your chance to catch up.)

DailyMotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4pnfm3_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-season-06-ep17-dungeons-and-discords-hd_animals

YouTube:

So I was going to find something else to commemorate this. But my source for finding that thing is down right now.

So have another thing:

I feel so old-fashioned - I watched it on TV. ;)

Seriously, it was an okay episode but didn't quite live up the hype.  It wound up being more of a "Discord learns another lesson about friendship" type of episode.  Of course, being a Discord episode, it was full of amusing bits - the dance club sequence was good and "Discord's Office" was priceless.

It's a shame MLP is only a half-hour; sometimes it needs a full hour to allow stories to reach their potential (last week's changeling episode would be another good example - to say nothing of "Magical Mystery Cure").  And why can't we have an hour-long show?  It worked for (gag) the Smurfs (in fact, at one point, that show ran 90 minutes).

• Like 1

I feel like the episode was over-hyped. I did not like it as much as i thought from the preview. I mean the preview was after all part of the good. The first half was amazing but the second was...well... disappointing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EviLKitten said:

I feel like the episode was over-hyped. I did not like it as much as i thought from the preview. I mean the preview was after all part of the good. The first half was amazing but the second was...well... disappointing.

This guy said everythings.

GIVE HIM A MUFFIN.

I thought the episode was one of the better ones to feature Discord in a while. I like this more than I liked the episode of him being a dick to Twilight and Cadence. This episode had good gags, the concept was pretty relatable, and it was not ruined by the presence of Spike :s 

I thought the episode was VERY enjoyable; easily one of the best of the season thus far. And I must say, Spike has yes ANOTHER solid episode! Really, season 6 is to Spike was season 4/5 was to the CMC. :)

Also, the episode was just funny; the writing was very clever.

This may eclipse Twilight's Kingdom as the best episode to feature Reformed!Discord.

1. Comedy is really, really good. Even if you don't understand the references, his pop culture antics fit the scope of the story. Flutterbitch makes sense. The short rowdy places was hilarious. The Celesticord face will give me nightmares for the next 30 minutes.
  2. Spike continues his awesomeness this season. Funny, competent, not treated as a joke, and somewhat adorkable.
  3. Ending of Dash and Pinkie choosing to get involved in the Guys' Night roleplay iced the cake.
  4. Pacing slowed during the middle, but it was balanced out pretty nicely by the rest, including Discord realizing the errors of his ways.

It doesn't beat GoF, Times, Tail, OYM, or Saddle, but so far, it keeps up the trend from last week's episode. Hopefully, more good quality comes forth later this season.

You know, though, the whole Discord-as-a-child thing gets a little old after the fourth or fifth time.  That's how the show portrays him, as a child who is learning how to handle himself in polite society.  That's fine, as far as it goes, but I'd like to see the serious side of Discord from time to time as well.  Example: how he was dealing with Tirek before he let himself be seduced by Tirek's talk.

It's a lovely concept they had in this episode.

Too bad however... the D&D "virtual reality" parts shown in the trailers that made it look like a promising episode was merely the episode ender.

Most of the episode was just Discord and Spike bickering. We didn't get to see Yaks again. And there wasn't much action onscreen either. Very disappointed actually.

Also,

Do any of you get this feeling the show is leaning more towards slice of life type of stories where most fantasy lore are crammed in "make believe" situations?

Compared to the lore rich seasons 1 and 2?

Edited by Lord Seraph
Woops! Again.

Loved it, especially Discord being able to be as close to himself as the show can really allow now. Loved all the reality manipulation and the jokes and just, well, I just loved everything about it.

Although I do feel that

Pinkie and Rainbow Dash should have transformed into Stallions there at the end when they crossed the line into Guy's Night territory

I really enjoyed this one. It was funny with some great character interactions, especially between Spike and Discord and Fluttershy and Discord. The D&D set up was pretty clever and the visuals were amazing. Stray thought but anyone else find it strange that it's almost been 100 years since the Roaring 20s? Anyways only real weakness I have with the episode is the pacing, some scenes move too fast and others seem to intrude and keep us from getting to the meat of the story, but other than that I'd say this episode rolled a 19. Okay maybe an 18 since Big Mac should have been a bigger player here but still a very fine outing which I really enjoyed. 

I thought it was...okay. I was really expecting more of a Power Ponies-style episode where the fantasy world was brought to life, either literally through Discord shenanigans or by venturing into the characters' imaginations, but instead it was a rather basic and generic Discord episode that didn't quite live up to the potential. For what it was, it wasn't bad - it had a decent opening and a great ending, with the middle being decidedly average.

This was a total nerd episode, and I loved it. We finally get to see Ogres and Oubliettes featured in a canon MLP episode (I see it a lot in fan fiction). Of course, it all starts with the Mane Six leaving for a summit in YakYakistan, which is a nice bit of continuity. I love slice of life episodes, and this one is very slicey in terms of just routine day to day living in Ponyville. It's also good to know that fantasy nerds exist, and who are the biggest nerds in Ponyville? Spike and Big Mac, of course, which makes perfect sense to me.

Discord's presence always offers a great chance to see a plethora of visual gags, and they do not disappoint here. Everything from "Discord" fashion magazine to his entrance at the castle, his impressions of Celestia, to the guys night out at the jazz club (which definitely looked like fun to me). From my perspective, it felt very much like a "Q" episode, with Discord's desire to play "games" that add more than just harmless adventure.

I love the ending, as well, with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash clearly wanting to jump in and enjoy the guys night out, too, and that ending was just way cool. All in all, a fun episode, I laughed, I geeked out, it gets an "A" from me. John de Lancie is a delight as always.

Really every tabletop player's dream come true.

Spike, explaining the idea of just pretending:

Spongebob-imagination.jpg

And at the end, they basically went into LARP mode

BTW; I'd really like to join a real D&D round if I could find one near me

Wow, it's the first episode since season 4 I've actually enjoyed having Discord in it. I actually laughed at his antics and found the episode generally enjoyable. Wish they had done more with Big Mac though, I mean the guy hardly gets any episodes at all, I wish they had give him a line or two instead of a word or two.

22 hours ago, Jerry Modene said:

I feel so old-fashioned - I watched it on TV. ;)

Seriously, it was an okay episode but didn't quite live up the hype.  It wound up being more of a "Discord learns another lesson about friendship" type of episode.  Of course, being a Discord episode, it was full of amusing bits - the dance club sequence was good and "Discord's Office" was priceless.

It's a shame MLP is only a half-hour; sometimes it needs a full hour to allow stories to reach their potential (last week's changeling episode would be another good example - to say nothing of "Magical Mystery Cure").  And why can't we have an hour-long show?  It worked for (gag) the Smurfs (in fact, at one point, that show ran 90 minutes).

I agree with your point about timing. A lot of the time, I feel like MLP comes up with intriguing ideas, but fails to utilise them fully because of things like this.

Still a fun ep though. I like how Discord has slowly evolved as a character.

56 minutes ago, SanityNotIncluded said:

I agree with your point about timing. A lot of the time, I feel like MLP comes up with intriguing ideas, but fails to utilise them fully because of things like this.

Still a fun ep though. I like how Discord has slowly evolved as a character.

Sometimes too slow. ;). But yeah.

And seeing Spongebob's "imagination" visual reminds me that I wished Spike had gotten the rainbow at least once, especially Spike made the gesture twice.  Plus the added pun involving his already-established association with Rainbows. ;)

One of the best episodes of the entire series in my opinion. This is one of those I'll definitely watch more than once. Discord was really in his element here. I loved his attitude and how he got all pouty when he found out Fluttershy had to leave, even going so far as planting an active volcano in the train's path saying afterwards it wasn't his fault it was there when it completely was his fault. XP I also loved all the self absorbed comments he kept making while speaking to Spike and Big Mac. Loved it when Discord rose above them in intimidating fashion after they had pushed him too far half covered in shadows and surrounded by swirling storm clouds speaking in his 'Lord of Chaos' voice.  Just a great episode.