Sign in to follow this  
AaronMk

The Life and Times of an Oldguy

With the association of EQD and FiG being made even more official with the news post EQD side and the rush of new faces to the board (I can hardly keep my cheeki breeki up in this matter!) I sense it is a time of great change, and a marker that members will stand on one side of the other  to measure the status of their veteran-ness. So well on the awareness of this, I feel compelled to spin the long yarn of my association with the board or the members that have in some manner or another formed the core part of the community. This is also not a tale of any one board/community, but two; as the two that I was a part of effectively married into each other this passed year. So any history of deviation had the threads tied into one and both roads now lead to the same conclusion: right now, the current day or writing and you're reading, and where-ever the future leads.

The best estimated guess I can make for coming into this goes back to 2012, the glory days where I counted myself as a virgin brony, new to the show, its community, and drawn to its light. Now I'm clutching at straws here since the oldest evidence I have to this is in the form of Team Fortress 2 screenshots. The most definitive, early thing I can produce is this:

AE0CF2DB052C09A5B4C3540B7CA8AAB9062351C8

This I can only guess being when the first Equestria Daily Steam gaming group opened its doors and launched the initial server operated by Borg, and maybe Ghostmeal. Again my memory is hazy since I picked up drinking a little since (but that's a shallow and shitty excuse since I hardly drink heavily at all). I can't even remember if we had a forum outside of the Steam group itself. But the servers back then were always moderately populated and generally filled up in the evening when we played such strange maps as Vinyl's club.

DB2BDE3ED8A0B9707859745F502FAF92F562586F

582793958EC3BFB80BFBFD8C7C0A2FFF7F6D9972

There was also magical admin abuse.

A771B8292A3D1BEAEE6B91813BF7439FE2189709

96335199A5CE0B8393687D7B70561A5BD9C11C4C

Anyways, something happened and the original EQD servers were dissolved. As I remember it came after a Highlander tournament we set up. By this point I distinctly remember there being a forums and there was general anger at the way the tournament was handled. At least from my team (The Crystal Empire/Group/Whatever) we weren't exepcting someone to have invited a pro-tier team to the contest and we went in thinking this was all for fun. W e got rolled.

The entire event was streamed and commentated by the notable people.

Anyways, after the dissolution of the original server group and the EQD group went silent with its servers dissolved I eventually discovered and joined the servers and associated group of Pony Fortress. Now, what was Pony Fortress? Pony Fortress was a game mode mod of TF2 where each team got a Hale-strength hero who came in the form of a pony modeled into the game. The mod was ran and operated by Dragonlight who ran the servers and the group. When PF2 eventually died, the group was passed down from Dragonlight and rebranded itself into Friendship is Gaming.

The old servers and population never came back.

But on PF2:

445A41F82DF17AA242B5111CAB87130D67EC7BDC

I wasn't there for its founding so I can speak little of it. I think I first peaked in when the EquestriaDaily servers were running and saved them as secondary servers for when the EQD ones were dead, which it felt like they hardly ever were. But as explained above, the mod picked a random player to play as an over-powered super-horse with special abilities like that of a Hale to play for a team. Each team got one. The hero pone could not cap, but they could kill and absorb bullets. Some had the infamous nature of being absolute bullet sponges.

30C5327ADEBDF1ACE8037556BE7C61CAE1BF791F

Over time, or given other conditions the heroes would charge their ability meter which'd unleash some sort of map-wide effect against the other team as a debuff/damaging spell and/or as a significant buff for your team. This'd be helpful to make a huge push in a deadlocked game, but also in reality would be immediately followed by the opposing heroes' magic and things would get set right back to where it was. The weight and effect of the spell depended on what character you were.

AJ was probably the most cancerous.

69267269747197F048A0E359F784C9DFD7F88100

While she couldn't move her gear, she was still a bullet sponge engie and her special ability when fired was to spawn hundreds of mini-sentries across the map. In later updates these would also be dispensers for your team. For a minute or a half a minute they'd litter the map, be nearly indestructible, and other such cancer.

Playing as AJ is also the direct reason why my engineer stats are permanently inflated with having scored a hundred and forty points in one round as her. For reference: my next scoring class is medic with the most points scored in a round being sixty, which may also  be attributed to runs as the Fluttershy hero.

Celestia and Luna's early models came directly from Hell too:

7F3DC2E48433B1161B064757169C98ECFE71B17C

The Princesses were as I remember being told the first pair to be added and both were basically clones of each other in terms of ability. The only difference was the music played during their special ability were different with Celestia's being iBringdaLulz parody of Power!:

And Luna's being the obligatory:

Or something to that effect. RIP Iamnotacleverpony.

Anyways, going to fast-forward now. Dragonlight eventually decided to drop the PF2 project and deleted the servers. The original PF2 forums soon dissolved and sometime later PF2 was reformed as Friendship is Gaming. A new set of forums were made and as many old people as possible from PF2 made the move here. The PF2-FiG transition was hardly perfect and the forums have been as slow as the servers dead for the better part of the time since this happened.

And after some discussion, alluding, announcement, and admin business here we all today.

• Like 1