VGmaster9

MLP anime franchise idea

How would you like there to be a Pony anime from Japan that would be set in Equestria? The way I envision it, it would go beyond what the actual show has ever done, like giving the characters extensive development, exploring more of Equestria, adding more worldbuilding, etc. On top of having an interminable TV series, there would also be movies, OVAs, TV specials, short films, ONAs, etc.

The TV series would have two types of arcs; The smaller character driven arcs and the larger arcs with larger scale stories. There would also be occasional special episodes that aren't part of the main episode list.

The movies would be full length action/adventure stories, the average length being 90-100 minutes. Some movies would have a short film as a special feature for the film's DVD, like a backstory for the movie's villain for example.

The OVAs would have stories that are anything but action/adventure. The average length would be 30-60 minutes.

The TV specials would have stories that are outside the TV series' main timeline, giving background to certain characters and such. Average length would be up to 70-80 minutes.

The short films would have unique stories taking place within Equestria's (and the rest of the world's) history. Would be similar to animations like Snowdrop and Fall of the Crystal Empire.

The ONAs would revolve around background ponies, like Derpy and Doctor Hooves, Vinyl Scratch and Octavia, Lyra and Bon Bon, etc. They'd be like the show Button's Adventures. Each ONA episode would be around 5 minutes long.

There would also be some music videos, similar to animations like Children of the Night and Lullaby for a Princess.

Honestly, this all sounds like a great idea! I wish MLP was successful over in Japan, maybe we could have gotten something like this. It would be like Powerpuff Girls Z (Japanese reboot of Powerpuff Girls and a reboot of PPG done RIGHT)

I think that maybe Japan could air MLP Season 3+ on the Japanese version of Cartoon Network, where a lot of American cartoon shows are very successful. They don't have to go all out on it and have custom anime opening or all that (a translated version of the current theme song would do just fine) but just so they could be up to date with the show at least. Sega TOYS owns the rights to the franchise now and they've sort of 'soft rebooted' the franchise but only G1 characters are being promoted at the moment. They've already gotten the cast back together for the Equestria Girls movies, why not 3 more seasons? I think it 'could' in theory work out on JP Cartoon Network.

I don't know. I believe that the show in its current form could have extensive character development, exploration of Equestria, and add more worldbuilding. As for having tv specials and short films, that would depend less on style and more on popularity. 

25 minutes ago, ShimmerSparkles said:

It would be like Powerpuff Girls Z (Japanese reboot of Powerpuff Girls and a reboot of PPG done RIGHT)

The problem I had with PPGZ is that they changed the characters, like having Mojo Jojo be more of an idiot than he was in the cartoon.

13 minutes ago, DawnInPonyville said:

The problem I had with PPGZ is that they changed the characters, like having Mojo Jojo be more of an idiot than he was in the cartoon.

I kind of liked the show (I kind of grew up with it, so I am a tad nostalgia blind) but it was a fresh new world with new characters, and that's why I feel like it's a better reboot than what we have now for Powerpuff Girls. So some characters (especially Blossom) were changed because they wanted to do something different with the show that hadn't been done before. 

Ah well.

I would like to see something like Code Geass with ponies. 

And on a side note there are actually a few anime shows that already resemble mlp at least in the enjoyment department. I think that Dog days is very similar in the cute friendship+magical aspects and Magical girl shows( example Cardcaptor Sakura) in general for the slice of life+magic side.

And not to forget the one anime show that has it's mark all over MLP. Sailor moon.

3 hours ago, Sethisto said:

I'd kill for an epic, 26 episode arc following TRIXIE on her quest to receive the ultimate unicorn POWER!

It would be 26 episodes of Trixie screaming in front of the camera until her mane turns spiky and yellow.

I dunno guys.

I seriously would dig the idea of the Kingdom of Equestria going up against a evil empire. Not the the Crystal Empire gimmick. But another Pony empire that would be an equivalent power of Equestria from the other side of the planet.

Would kill for an intro like this.

On 27/08/2016 at 3:51 AM, VGmaster9 said:

How would you like there to be a Pony anime from Japan that would be set in Equestria? The way I envision it, it would go beyond what the actual show has ever done, like giving the characters extensive development.

I think you'll find the characters of MLP are given VERY good character development.

22 hours ago, Lord Seraph said:

I dunno guys.

I seriously would dig the idea of the Kingdom of Equestria going up against a evil empire. Not the the Crystal Empire gimmick. But another Pony empire that would be an equivalent power of Equestria from the other side of the planet.

Would kill for an intro like this.

That's not a very good intro by anime standards, I'm afraid.

41 minutes ago, Revanche said:

That's not a very good intro by anime standards, I'm afraid.

It's actually a game intro for a Dept. Heaven tactics game, Yggdra Union.

What's anybody else think?

Also, there could be a few spinoff TV shows with limited runs, such as a show about Daring Do. On top of the anime, there could be additional media to tie in with it, such as manga, light novels, and even audio plays.

Technically MLP is already an anime. It is a cartoon. That is what an anime is: cartoons.

I don't see how changing the geography would change it at all.

• Like 1

Anime adaptations of American properties rarely, if ever, turn out well, I'd say about 99% of the time they go wrong

Remember Powerpuff Girls Z?

Remember the terrible Marvel animes?

REMEMBER TRANSFORMERS KISS PLAYERS?!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Megas75 said:

Anime adaptations of American properties rarely, if ever, turn out well, I'd say about 99% of the time they go wrong

Remember Powerpuff Girls Z?

Remember the terrible Marvel animes?

REMEMBER TRANSFORMERS KISS PLAYERS?!

It all depends how it's written really. I saw someone in a thread wanting to see MLP have a TV-PG rating, and honestly, this would be the way to go about it. With an anime at this magnitude, there would be more possibilities and the writers would have even less limits to tell stories.

If there is anything I've learned about Japan and Western Properties, it's that they don't go well together.

Transformers is a perfect example. Japan is practically the land of mecha and for some strange reason that I can't comprehend, they keep screwing Transformers up!

We have Transformers Robots in Disguise (2001)

The Armada Trilogy (OH GOD! Especially Transformers Energon)

Transformers GO!

And most infamously, and Megas has already mentioned this, TRANSFORMERS KISS PLAYERS!!