Ꜽʸ Authentic

Legitimate Question: Why do we need forums?

Now I may only have been here for an hour or whatever, but I for one much prefer the organisation of forums. I never really participated in the main page discussions, but I'm already liking chilling around here.

• Like 1

As I believe one of your commentators said: because some people like the forum format over the blog-post format as a conversation medium. Here at least topical threads can be maintained and easily re-accessed to continue discussion. Broader topics can be talked about too as opposed to spur-of-the-moment news articles. Really, it's an option.

And to be honest for us of old-FiG this keeps our board alive. It was a route we pursued, or our admins did at least, to make sure the community doesn't dissolve into irrelevancy. We can hardly keep this afloat on dead TF2 servers now, can we? We're not Pony Fortress where the community and the servers were the biggest things ever until DL shut them down.

So it's a two-way street here. We get a reason to stay alive and the EQD world gets a forum as an extra option to talk about stuff over a longer span of time than twelve hours for its relevancy.

Alternatives are good - offer more, and you expand potential to engage more of the community...not everyone partakes in ND/MD, or stay there for periods of time...forums encourage far more extended periods of discussion and in a generally more organised/simplistic style than the Disqus format allows.

A sizable portion of the EQD reader base have been pushing for forums for a number of years.  The biggest impediment was potentially dividing the base between the blogger and the forums. It makes more sense to use the forums if someone wants to post about anything pony related instead of waiting for the MD and ND topics.

Also, for reasons Aaron has gave already.

11 minutes ago, Arix said:

Now I may only have been here for an hour or whatever, but I for one much prefer the organisation of forums. I never really participated in the main page discussions, but I'm already liking chilling around here.

^^This.  Never cared for the main discussions, but I like the organization of forums, so I immediately feel comfortable here.

2 minutes ago, Sunset Shimmer said:

Alternatives are good - offer more, and you expand potential to engage more of the community...not everyone partakes in ND/MD, or stay there for periods of time...forums encourage far more extended periods of discussion and in a generally more organised/simplistic style than the Disqus format allows.

To add to this: I think I had an account for posting on EQD once but I lost the details or had trouble logging in, I'd just get forcefully logged out.

But the general structure of the EQD comments section I didn't find very intuitive. So I found it difficult to use besides firing off a one-shot opinion and basically forgetting about it forever. And I think since the point of loosing my account to the nether I've only made one or two guest comments on EQD since then.

So, something-something. I already posted the meat of the matter from my perspective. So I'll sit here and see what else crops up.