Doctor Blue Nye

DNA: The Thread of Science

If you love science, this thread is for you! Just discuss anything about science, including your favorite branch of science, cool discoveries, magnificent concepts, or simply share your passion for this amazing field!

bTHx88V.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AppleDazzler said:

<3<3

let's become popular together

*blushes*

*points to the topic title* Eh, let's do this elsewhere.

Anyway, what's your favorite science field? If necessary, why?

Aaaanywho... On topic here: I generally watch all fields of science but if I have to pick one It would probably be Astrophysics. 

The Science Subreddit is a great place to keep up to date with most recent scientific discoveries.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

Aaaanywho... On topic here: I generally watch all fields of science but if I have to pick one It would probably be Astrophysics. 

The Science Subreddit is a great place to keep up to date with most recent scientific discoveries.

Astrophysics is indeed interesting; unfortunately, I didn't have classes on it, so I just learned it through documentaries and Crash Course. But my overall favorite is biollogy, particularly the molecule to organ system levels. Nevertheless, I love other science fields as well, starting with chemistry, then physics.

Looks interesting! However, I don't use Reddit.

I've loved Biology and Anatomy/Physiology since I was a child.  I would dissect the birds, rodents, and snakes my cat Slippers would bring home.  Then I'd bury them, wait a week or two, and dig them up again.  It fascinated me.  I also dreamed of being an OB/GYN as pregnancy and reproduction also fascinated me since childhood when my mom was pregnant with my brother, and she let me look at her pregnancy books. I also pondered becoming a Meteorologist, as I love the weather, especially "severe" weather. I took Psychology in college, and enjoyed that, though unfortunately didn't finish a degree in it.  I still love Psychology and enjoy trying to "diagnose" people, hehe.

The combination of medicine and technology. Well, thats why Im going to get my degree in "Medical Computer Science", right?

I love Medicine with a passion: Not only it is a well funded area of scientific progress, but also something that directly helps people. I dream of the day I work on a project that helps to save or improve the lives of other people. Im going to focus on prothetics and implantology in the last years of my studies, and hope that one day I will work on artifical limbs.

9 minutes ago, Dublyn Tea said:

I've loved Biology and Anatomy/Physiology since I was a child.  I would dissect the birds, rodents, and snakes my cat Slippers would bring home.  Then I'd bury them, wait a week or two, and dig them up again.  It fascinated me.  I also dreamed of being an OB/GYN as pregnancy and reproduction also fascinated me since childhood when my mom was pregnant with my brother, and she let me look at her pregnancy books. I also pondered becoming a Meteorologist, as I love the weather, especially "severe" weather. I took Psychology in college, and enjoyed that, though unfortunately didn't finish a degree in it.  I still love Psychology and enjoy trying to "diagnose" people, hehe.

I hope you can continue your studies in the medical field: There are so many fascinating jobs there! (And I will hold back my comment on studying psychology :P)

If you get irradiated particles on you just take a shower and wait thirty years for developments.

You have a 1/4 chance of dying outright.

The average distance between the East and West coasts of the contiguous United States is 2,600 miles (~4,200 km). On August 21st, a 93-year old American WW2 veteran completed his run of that distance.

That's how high above the sticky clouds of Jupiter the Juno spacecraft just skimmed yesterday, closer than any of our robotic space probes has come to the planet yet. However, the orbit was so lopsided that Juno was quickly slung out past the run of Callisto, the furthest moon Galileo was able to see around the planet 406 years ago. Like a coin tossed free-hand from the side into a spiral wishing well, Juno is currently surfing in the distorted space-time of Jupiter at a steep angle.

In the coming months, rockets will fire to slow down the robot and let it fall closer towards the planet. All of these orbits are being carefully coordinated and timed to dip in and out of a safe "donut hole" between the world and its invisible, fiery radiation belts. Scientists hope to avoid crisping the robot.

Eventually, the penny will run out of spiral and simply drop into the well. Juno's days are limited and finite. Its fate is to become a bright streak of metallic fire tearing through Jupiter's clouds, completely disintegrating before it can hit the planet's secret inner depths.

However, we have created space robots that will probably outlast humanity itself in their journey out to other stars, forever fleeing from our sun. All of them burgled a tiny fraction of Jupiter's orbital power. Pioneer 10, launched in 1972, stole some of Jupiter's speed for itself and is rushing out to pass by the star Aldebaran. Its twin craft, Pioneer 11 launched a year later, is taking some of Jupiter's speed with it out towards the stars that make up the Eagle constellation. In 1977 we launched Voyagers 2 and 1 (in that order). After sneaking away with some of the speed from planets Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, Voyager 2 is now falling into the vast emptiness between us and the edge of yesterday with no particular star in its way. Voyager 1 only pilfered speed from Jupiter and Saturn, but is now faster and further than its older twin. In about 300 years it will reach the inner boundaries of our icy shell of comets, the Oort cloud. It will take the robot ten times longer than that to pass through to the other side, bursting free of our familiar neighborhood and into the open space where only the slightest tug of gravity reminds it that the Sun ever existed.

So ya, physics is fun. My favourite parts of physics are the very large scale (galactic) and the very small scale (quantum). I hope to be learning more on these topics in the near future.

Bumpitty bump!

Science is [BUY SOME APPLES]ing awesome!

Those of you who like anything to do with space would probably love to give SpaceEngine a whirl. It's a real time 3D space simulator. Awesome graphics, seamless space to planet/asteroid/star/etc surface transition, realistic space vehicle simulation, the works. What I find amazing is that it was created by a single person in Russia. Site is at http://en.spaceengine.org/

Still in alpha, and there are plenty more features planned, but the community already has a heap of add-ons, from 45 GB ultra resolution texture packs, to fictional galaxies/planets and ships. If you love space, you'll definitely love this program. You could probably use this stuff in your SFM/animations if you're one of those people.

2 minutes ago, hiigaran said:

Bumpitty bump!

Science is [BUY SOME APPLES]ing awesome!

Those of you who like anything to do with space would probably love to give SpaceEngine a whirl. It's a real time 3D space simulator. Awesome graphics, seamless space to planet/asteroid/star/etc surface transition, realistic space vehicle simulation, the works. What I find amazing is that it was created by a single person in Russia. Site is at http://en.spaceengine.org/

Still in alpha, and there are plenty more features planned, but the community already has a heap of add-ons, from 45 GB ultra resolution texture packs, to fictional galaxies/planets and ships. If you love space, you'll definitely love this program. You could probably use this stuff in your SFM/animations if you're one of those people.

I already have that game, it's awesome 

Imagine a moon so far out from its planet that it takes almost 27 years to make a complete orbit. Imagine a moon so far out that sometimes Mercury is closer to the Sun than this moon is to its planet.

Neptune has one such moon: Neso. It averages thirty million, sixty-eight thousand, one hundred and fifty one miles from Neptune, whereas our moon is only two hundred thousand, nine hundred miles away from us.

Neptune can get away with having moons of ridiculously huge orbits because it's much farther from the Sun than we are. Out there, the Sun's gravitational influence is weaker, giving the planets more influence over things near them than they would have at our distance. Move Neptune up to where Earth is, and it would quickly lose some of its moons because the Sun would pull on them too much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2.5-3 billion years ago, in a tiny dwarf galaxy only 1% the size of our own, something happened. We don't know what that something is, but we know that it caused this galaxy to pulse radio waves at us for a few milliseconds at a time in a pattern that repeats.

There's a science thread...? And I didn't know about it?!  :puzzled:

My favorite sciences are:
Astronomy/Astrophysics
Computer Science
General Physics
Chemistry

However, what I plan to major in is still up in the air.

11 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

There's a science thread...? And I didn't know about it?!  :puzzled:

My favorite sciences are:
Astronomy/Astrophysics
Computer Science
General Physics
Chemistry

However, what I plan to major in is still up in the air.

Only late by 6 months. In Cosmic timescales that's just a couple of seconds! :hurrr:

Astrophysics is really interesting, it was my second choice for a major, if I hadn't been accepted in Software Engineering.

In other news: NASA is apparently researching Nuclear Rockets.

27 minutes ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Wasn't as explosive as I thought it would be.

Project Orion on the otherhand...

Well from what I understand, it's essentially the same principle as a Steam Engine, minus the pistons, but it runs on Hydrogen and Nuclear Fission instead of Steam and Coal. The idea has quite a bit of merit though, hopefully they can make it feasible to stuff in a space ship.

Ah, yes Nuclear Pulse Propulsion. Nothing quite says Humanity like blowing shit up. A creative idea if anything, but a very impractical and dangerous one at that.

So apparently a friend from school has told me there is a newly-discovered organ in our body that was discovered not long ago called a mesentary, which exists as some kind of structural thingy in our insides.