Dennis Abernathy Harrison

Favorite Television Genre

Favorite Television Genre  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite genre in television?

• Action/Adventure
    • Comedy
    • Drama
    • Documentary
    • Fantasy
    • Noir
    • Horror
    • Music
    • Mystery
    • Sci-Fi
    • Thriller
    • Western

Is Netflix a genre, because it seems to be all I watch these days ;)

Seriously though, I've probably spent more time in my life watching more comedies and sitcoms than any other genre. 

Do I really have to pick a single genre?
Like... I guess slice of life? XD

That said, I stand with Jeric. Netflix should be a genre at this point. ;D

Animation isn't listed!  Though I suppose animation can fit into any of those genres.  I see animation with different eyes than most adults, as I know all the hard work that goes into creating an animated show or movie.  The finished product is a work of art, and I critique it as such.  I love animation, not just pony.  Pony is just my favorite right now.

As for non-animation though, I'd have to go with comedy.  "Friends" was my favorite show of all time before I discovered the wonders of animation.  I also like some drama and documentaries.

2 hours ago, Dublyn Tea said:

Animation isn't listed!  Though I suppose animation can fit into any of those genres.  I see animation with different eyes than most adults, as I know all the hard work that goes into creating an animated show or movie.  The finished product is a work of art, and I critique it as such.  I love animation, not just pony.  Pony is just my favorite right now.

As for non-animation though, I'd have to go with comedy.  "Friends" was my favorite show of all time before I discovered the wonders of animation.  I also like some drama and documentaries.

Things like Live Action, Animation, Stop Motion, etc... and blends between them are styles or mediums to me instead of actual genres. You can explore any actual genre and theme using these any of those, so OP was right to not include them as they're very broad.

7 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Things like Live Action, Animation, Stop Motion, etc... and blends between them are styles or mediums to me instead of actual genres. You can explore any actual genre and theme using these any of those, so OP was right to not include them as they're very broad.

I would argue that something like "comedy" and "drama" also don't fit in. Those are more styles of writing, whereas things like "fantasy", "western", or "sci-fi" more focus on the trappings of the environment and world that the show is set in.

I love fantasy in general, and enjoy some good drama and relish real humour. I like some darker works, though not necessarily horror, too.

Science fiction in general, usually because they're able to tell much more interesting stories than the thousands of medical and police dramas that keep popping up every single season.