Sign in to follow this  
VG_Addict

Thoughts on Spike.

I like him, but find he's usually at his best as a supporting character rather than in a main role.

• Like 1

I like him fine though as Arix said, he always seems to be at his best when he's in the supporting role and usually at his weakest when the spotlight is put on him. Season six is probably the only time I've actually looked forward to Spike episodes. I think he's actually benefited from all the new writers that have been brought on board.

I think Season 6 has been Spike's best showing yet because it feels like they've finally figured out what to do with him. I'm all for the idea of Spike acting as a sort of pony's ambassador to groups/kingdoms/races that the ponies wouldn't have otherwise thought of interacting with purely because of the possibilities it opens up.

This is almost word for word the exact same thread you made on Multiverse, so I'll just copy-paste my response from there too! :v

If they made more episodes with him looking into his dragon heritage, that would be alright. There's only so much you can watch of him screwing up before it gets tiresome.

Though of course, there's been quite a few episodes with him since we made those posts back in June last year, and they've done pretty well with him I'd say. Especially in last week's episode. And hell, this week's episode too.

Still want me some more dragon heritage though.

1 hour ago, Terton said:

Still want me some more dragon heritage though.

That's actually a pretty neat idea. The show treats dragons as this distant, almost mystical species, which gives a lot of cool potential for having a dragon as a main character that it doesn't really try to live up to short of maybe two episodes?

When I very first started watching back in season 1 I wasn't very fond of him at first. I considered him the Scrappy Doo of the series and thought he was kind of annoying, but over time I've warmed up to him and I generally like him now (except when they really dumb him down in certain episodes). His character has of course improved a great deal over the years also.

I think Spike was originally meant to fill in the "little brother" role. In the early seasons he's sometimes gross, sometimes oblivious, sometimes clingy, but you can count on him to come in with a, simple, insightful remark every now and then when the "big sister and her friends" characters were too caught up in their own issues to see things clearly.

Plus you can practically feel that whole "ugh, my baby brother has a crush on one of my besties" vibe.

I've always liked Spike. Which is why I tended to get frustrated when his episodes were so hit or miss. But this season? Spike has really gotten to shine, and it's apparent they finally have a plan for him. But as much he's finally growing up, I like today's episode showed he can still be that goofy kid we know he is. This is the cute and silly Spike I've missed from the show lately.

I love Spike.  I think he's cute and he gives a different perspective than the ponies do.  Plus he's really our only connection to the dragon world and let's face it, dragons are super cool!  Without Spike, we wouldn't have that connection, at least not in the same light we have of it now.

In seasons 1-5 Spike has been a decent character when used in a supporting role, especially to comment on the shenanigans on the other characters. Most (though not all) of his solo appearances seemed to consistently undermine the character. 

Then Season 6 happened. So far all of his solo episodes in S6 have been a higher level of quality and (as others have mentioned) the writers seemed to have a better grasp on where they want to take the character. 

Would we be legitimately seeing Spike as a diplomat/ambassador for other species before this season? Outside of wishful thinking from his fans, no.