_Slashy_

Would an EQG story work without magic being the source of the conflict?

Recommended Posts

I mean could not our heroes face off against something crazy from their world? I mean maybe something like an advanced AI trapping Rainbow Dash in a virtual world in an effort to improve her test scores or our heroes needing to use their magic to win a sporting event against a team of superhuman science experiments or an alien princess challenging the students of CHS to prove their love for Flash Sentry with a community service event.

The world has potential for wacky stuff, if it just leans more towards science fiction it can have the same plot rather that telling us that magic is great even though it always causes problems.

 

Yes, I'm rehashing topics from MLP forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, _Slashy_ said:

You guys should really read the OP post as well.

i just read the post...why i've posted without read it? ._.

 

well , i don't think a movie with OP idea can be possible... it's far to different of the 4 other movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Venom Snake said:

i just read the post...why i've posted without read it? ._.

 

well , i don't think a movie with OP idea can be possible... it's far to different of the 4 other movies.

Why not? It still follows the formula of teenager activity hijacked by fantastical forces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, _Slashy_ said:

Why not? It still follows the formula of teenager activity hijacked by fantastical forces.

i don't really know but...i don't think it could really work, except if this is really well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I like EqG as the urban fantasy magical girl series it is. (Though from the Legend of Everfree promos, it looks like it's picking up superhero leanings too.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TaliaKirana said:

But I like EqG as the urban fantasy magical girl series it is. (Though from the Legend of Everfree promos, it looks like it's picking up superhero leanings too.)

How is throwing in science fantasy elements turning it away from being an urban fantasy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These do honestly sound like great ideas... for a TV series. I know that was bandied about back in the day that Hasbro wanted to make this verse into its own show, and I'd be more than happy if they did that. These sound like great ideas to make episodes out of. Can do more modern-day, real world relevant stories with tech and events the target audience (as well as parents) can extremely easily relate to.

Magic wouldn't even have to be the focus. It could even just be the occasional "Oh, hey! A magical thing just happened! How do we deal with it in our modern society?" story to shake things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Victor_Viper said:

These do honestly sound like great ideas... for a TV series. I know that was bandied about back in the day that Hasbro wanted to make this verse into its own show, and I'd be more than happy if they did that. These sound like great ideas to make episodes out of. Can do more modern-day, real world relevant stories with tech and events the target audience (as well as parents) can extremely easily relate to.

Magic wouldn't even have to be the focus. It could even just be the occasional "Oh, hey! A magical thing just happened! How do we deal with it in our modern society?" story to shake things up.

Why would it not work for a film? For a TV series wouldn't the faster pacing kill the tension if they didn't have these plots for two-parters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly, I can see a few possibilities.

 

But the point that'll need to brought up is whether or not that'd actually work given its "brand". Equestria Girls is more-or-less tied to the My Little Pony brand where magic is a big part of the franchise and universe. So removing magic from the main plot might actually sap it some. It could also suck away the "color" and you'd end up making an otherwise colorful story a gray and all-too-real story. But I'm sure if you applied your head to it enough you could do something to de-magic our magical horse-girl non-anime anime.

 

Equestria Girls: Taken Edition anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be very hard for them to do a magic-less EG movie without it becoming a typical high school girls kind of thing.  The magic (used judiciously) is what sets it apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without Magic we lose just about all remaining links to the original series. We'd end up with a basic high school animation with a tenuous MLP crossover.

The writers may be able to make it function as a cartoon, but it wouldn't really be MLP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AaronMk said:

Certainly, I can see a few possibilities.

 

But the point that'll need to brought up is whether or not that'd actually work given its "brand". Equestria Girls is more-or-less tied to the My Little Pony brand where magic is a big part of the franchise and universe. So removing magic from the main plot might actually sap it some. It could also suck away the "color" and you'd end up making an otherwise colorful story a gray and all-too-real story. But I'm sure if you applied your head to it enough you could do something to de-magic our magical horse-girl non-anime anime.

 

Equestria Girls: Taken Edition anyone?

I am saying just have the fantastical elements come from their world. I am not asking for realistic levels of sci-fi either, I am talking about like TMNT/Digimon/Mega Man or even Hasbro's own Transformers. Still very fantastical and silly in design.

I am not even saying that I want a generic or serious high school series now. I am saying our heroes would face off against entities from their own world that aren't powered by magic, but they would not be anything realistic. Like I am talking about something like a cyborg who goes back in time to ensure its own existence by making sure that Sunset Shimmer takes a programming class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, books 4 and 6 didn't have any magical conflicts in them.

4 was about Sunset trying to find a place for herself now that she'd lost her old antagonist identity, and 6 was about Twilight trying to figure out the different aspects of friendship when coming from a very competitive environment where everybody is a potential rival to a more open one where people are more honest about their feelings.

While they weren't "bad" stories they had very little to distinguish them fro many other teen soap\slice of life drama.

Without having magic, EQG is basically just another highschool drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see it happening. Because the heart of the stories thus far have been meddling Equestrian Magic, then it'd be hard to deviate from that so late into the game. People did complain about Equestria Girls being their least favorite, and it's also the least magical.

 

Coincidence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now