Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars or Star Trek?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Star Wars or Star Trek?

• Star Wars
    • Star Trek
    • Both!
    • Star What?

Classic question, needed for every forum. Star Wars or Star Trek? Which do you prefer?

For me it's Star Wars but I attribute that to watching it at a very early age and it having a huge influence over my childhood. I wasn't able to get into Star Trek until I was in high school so it doesn't have the same emotional childhood connection Star Wars has with me. I love both though. 

Well from what I seen of Star Trek, some of the classic show and the new movie when Spock gets stuck on the snow planet and I wasn't really all that captured. Also I think a movie with a big rock creature when I was younger.

Of course I heard that isn't even the best stuff so you know I plan to check out more of the future.

I LOVE STAR WARS!!!

Top 3 loves in the world: Resees, Ozzy Osbourne, and Star Wars.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is after all three of those

• Like 1

I grew up watching the original Star Trek. I would be outside playing and hear the theme on the TV and go running inside to watch. I loved the movies, TNG, DS9, even Voyager. So out of the two I'd have to say I like Star Trek more, but not the new Abrams Trek movies. I really didn't like those at all. I liked the original Star Wars trilogy as a kid too and I still have a lot of nostalgia for those, but I have never watched the prequels to this day.

I'm a fan of both franchises, but I am a dyed-in-the-wool Star Wars fan. Some of my earliest memories involve the original films in theaters and playing with the Kenner toys. Shit, I even ran a phpBB board in the lead up to and during the Prequel years.  

I'm not as big an Original Trilogy fan as I probably should be, but it's got to be Star Wars. As much as I like Trek, Wars has given me a good number of games and consistently, at least good, movies to enjoy.

I like Star Trek a lot more than Star Wars. I distinctly remember the exact circumstances of when I first saw Star Trek. Star Wars... not so much. And I got in through the Young Jedi Knights series, to boot.

But overall... I like both.

17 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Star Trek doesn't have Jar Jar, therefor, Star Trek is objectively the better show.

I was gonna say that Star Wars doesn't have Wesley, then I remembered that Wesley wasn't all that bad, and that he's still leagues better than Jar Jar.

Then again, lock those two in a room with Adric.

1 hour ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I was gonna say that Star Wars doesn't have Wesley, then I remembered that Wesley wasn't all that bad, and that he's still leagues better than Jar Jar.

Then again, lock those two in a room with Adric.

Wesley also got better.  Once they put him in a real uniform he wasn't bad at all. 

Star Wars benefits from having a massive universe that spans over 30+ years of material, in-universe being over 25,000 years, and unlike Star Trek keeps Continuity throughout multi-media tie-ins. Unfortunately thanks to a certain Company, that is no longer the case.

7 minutes ago, Rave Blitz said:

Star Wars benefits from having a massive universe that spans over 30+ years of material, in-universe being over 25,000 years, and unlike Star Trek keeps Continuity throughout multi-media tie-ins. Unfortunately thanks to a certain Company, that is no longer the case.

Star Trek spans 50 years of material, though I'll grant you that the in-Universe time periods covered are far shorter at just a few centuries. In some ways that actually helps, as you don't need to either 1) come up with 30,000 years of technological advancement or 2) bodge up a reason why 30,000 years of technological advancement doesn't really amount to much.

As for the EU, I'm actually glad Disney's jettisoning most of it. Just as a lot of Trek books, games, etc. really didn't mesh well with the main series' canon, neither did the EU do all that great nor feature consistently excellent talent. Thankfully they're able to pick and choose what parts they want to keep to a certain extent.

3 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

Star Trek spans 50 years of material, though I'll grant you that the in-Universe time periods covered are far shorter at just a few centuries. In some ways that actually helps, as you don't need to either 1) come up with 30,000 years of technological advancement or 2) bodge up a reason why 30,000 years of technological advancement doesn't really amount to much.

As for the EU, I'm actually glad Disney's jettisoning most of it. Just as a lot of Trek books, games, etc. really didn't mesh well with the main series' canon, neither did the EU do all that great nor feature consistently excellent talent. Thankfully they're able to pick and choose what parts they want to keep to a certain extent.

I'm sorry.... but once again.... Jettisoning the EU was a TERRIBLE idea, because not only do we now have multiple contradictions and unanswered questions regarding the two film trilogies, but now there are tons of storylines that are discontinued and left on Cliffhangars!

The perfect example of an unfinished story:

I've always been more of a Star Wars nerd. It's the one thing me and my dad contrasted, since he was a big Trekkie back in the day.