VG_Addict

Guardians of Harmony show.

No.

GoH is simply a more boy and adult friendly, meaning militaristic and scowly, take on various events, themes, and characters in the show and comics, spanning G4's lifespan. It's not a future series.

I wouldn't watch it because it was the show's goodhearted, cynicism free, charm that made me fall in love with it. I don't need a 3edgy spinoff.

GoH is simply a more boy and adult friendly, meaning militaristic and scowly,

This sounds to me like the same sort of mindset that thinks "girly" means "poofy pink and no meaningful conflict" - ie, the exact mindset that FiM set out to destroy in the first place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arix said:

This sounds to me like the same sort of mindset that thinks "girly" means "poofy pink and no meaningful conflict" - ie, the exact mindset that FiM set out to destroy in the first place.

....but this is exactly what GoH is...

Toys generally are based on a theme. Usually the theme has derived from a season. GoH's theme is derived from the show and comics over all.

S4 had Rainbow Power

S5 had Cutie Mark Magic

S6 is Explore Equestria

FiM+IDW is Guardians of Harmony

1 minute ago, EquestriaGuy said:

....but this is exactly what GoH is...

Toys generally are based on a theme. Usually the theme has derived from a season. GoH's theme is derived from the show and comics over all.

S4 had Rainbow Power

S5 had Cutie Mark Magic

S6 is Explore Equestria

FiM+IDW is Guardians of Harmony

All we have to go on is the toy line. Now tell me, looking at the regular FiM toyline, would you get a proper feel for what the actual show is like?

1 minute ago, Arix said:

All we have to go on is the toy line. Now tell me, looking at the regular FiM toyline, would you get a proper feel for what the actual show is like?

I can't even begin to decipher what your point is.

Really?

The only GoH we have to look at right now is the toyline. You are looking at that, and extrapolating that a show based on it would be super edgy, grimdark and scowly.

Isn't that kind of the same as looking at the regular FiM toyline and guessing that the show would be nothing but poofy pink pony princesses having tea parties and giggling incessantly?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arix said:

Really?

The only GoH we have to look at right now is the toyline. You are looking at that, and extrapolating that a show based on it would be super edgy, grimdark and scowly.

Isn't that kind of the same as looking at the regular FiM toyline and guessing that the show would be nothing but poofy pink pony princesses having tea parties and giggling incessantly?

it is what it is.

GoH is a toyline for the whole series, rather than just a season, like Explore Equestria is. They've chosen a militaristic theme because it broadens the toy's appeal.

edit: let me put it this way. I see what you're saying, but there's zero point to incorporate this theme and then do nothing with it. In a theoretical series, which isn't happening, these militaristic elements would be prominent. 

Edited by EquestriaGuy

I have to see it before I can decide if i would watch it. The reason I like MLP is because of the characters. The setting. I think that if focused more on action and adventure, it could open a venue to explore more about the characters, but it's all about execution rather than the idea.

4 minutes ago, EquestriaGuy said:

it is what it is.

GoH is a toyline for the whole series, rather than just a season, like Explore Equestria is. They've chosen a militaristic theme because it broadens the toy's appeal.

edit: let me put it this way. I see what you're saying, but there's zero point to incorporate this theme and then do nothing with it. In a theoretical series, which isn't happening, these militaristic elements would be prominent. 

Perhaps, but why look at just that and assume that such a show would be a grimdark 3edgy5u scowlfest? These people took My Little Pony from a pretty basic "little girls only" half-hour commercial from the 80s and made it into a massive worldwide phenomenon - do you have no faith that they would actually put forth another good work based on this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arix said:

Perhaps, but why look at just that and assume that such a show would be a grimdark 3edgy5u scowlfest? These people took My Little Pony from a pretty basic "little girls only" half-hour commercial from the 80s and made it into a massive worldwide phenomenon - do you have no faith that they would actually put forth another good work based on this?

I wouldn't have much faith in it if they kept the current writers on the show. 

Just now, Arix said:

There's no reason to steer the show in that direction. The way it is now works exceedingly well. It would be a meaningless move that moves FiM away from being a show that was 10/10 often without using hostility and adversity as a crutch .

Just now, EquestriaGuy said:

There's no reason to steer the show in that direction. The way it is now works exceedingly well. It would be a meaningless move that moves FiM away from being a show that was 10/10 often without using hostility and adversity as a crutch .

This is debatable, but regardless of whether it's true or not, that's why it was mentioned as a spinoff series rather than a change to FiM itself.

I'd be excited to see it, certainly...  There are a lot of possibilities for all sorts of types of stories in Equestria, and a more adventure/lore driven spin-off could be great.

I doubt I'd watch it, it just comes off as them trying way too hard to make My Little Pony appeal to boys

Then again, I've been wanting a crossover with Transformers for a while now so I'm not exactly one to talk :P

• Like 1

A pre-Celestia and Luna timeline would be interesting to explore for an Adventure focused storyline. Show wise... Anything that follows an interesting story with good continuity and improvements to the Lore department would be a huge boost. Bumping up the target demographic even slightly would hugely benefit a GoH show as they would not only be able to go into more nitty gritty stories, but save air time by not having characters spout exposition people already know from watching previous episodes. Always makes me cringe when an episode opens to somepony spouting exposition again just so the show can follow it's Slice of Life themes, but such is the curse of FiM's target demographic. 

14 hours ago, Arix said:

I've always been impressed that *all* of Hasbro's modern take on their old cartoon-commercial shows (which were pretty unwatchable by anybody over the age of six) into shows withbdecent animation, strongly-delineated characters, and decent-to-good writing and stories.  I have no trouble sitting down and watching the modern incarnations of Littlest Pet Shop and Pound Puppies.  (Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake not so much).

Yes, I would watch it, given that it was good. I quite enjoy the adventure's our cast get up to, and wouldn't mind getting a little more of that,