_Slashy_

Why can't they confirm Twilight and Spike's relationship?

I really don't know why the directors need to keep this relationship so open-ended, even when the comics have already told us that Twilight helped raise him they won't actually directly confirm how he is involved with Twilight's family. They just make it worse by making it seem like Cadance and Shining Armor have a close relationship with him/a long history with him.

I don't know many fans who don't want Spike to be considered part of Twilight's family, so I don't know why the writers don't clearly define their relationship. It feels like it is there so the writers don't have to commit to a certain characterization.

What do you mean relationship?

just like family member type cuz if so the show does great in my opinion.

If you mean something else: NO.

Also Spike crushes on Rarity so yea

• Like 1

I'd like to think that they're saving it for if/when they do something more with Spike's origins (or more specifically his egg's origins.)  

10 hours ago, _Slashy_ said:

I really don't know why the directors need to keep this relationship so open-ended, even when the comics have already told us that Twilight helped raise him they won't actually directly confirm how he is involved with Twilight's family. They just make it worse by making it seem like Cadance and Shining Armor have a close relationship with him/a long history with him.

I don't know many fans who don't want Spike to be considered part of Twilight's family, so I don't know why the writers don't clearly define their relationship. It feels like it is there so the writers don't have to commit to a certain characterization.

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

If we go purely on show canon almost nothing is ever said about Twilight's family at all. Her parent's names aren't normally spoken, and they didn't even get dialog until season 6. Shining Armour didn't exist until the Finale of season 2, and neither of her parents existed in the show until episode 23, after which there didn't appear again until the end of season 2. They then vanished and weren't seen again until the finale of season 3. They've had about 2-3 minutes of screen time in 130 episodes.

In short, Twilight herself has no canonical "relationship" with her own parents. Everything is totally open ended. They don't even have a conversation on screen until season 6. Based on this, the directors aren't holding anything back about Spike's relationship with Twilight's family.

Twilight has had more show canon interactions with the sales-pony in Sofas and Quills than her own parents.

Twilight's parents simply aren't big players in the show. The writers haven't clearly defined Twilight's relationship with them, so why would they define Spike's?

It's just not important to the show.

In the comics we've had a little more information, but not much

Fans have always head-canoned CSGU as being a boarding school but it wasn't until issue 40 of the comic that this is confirmed in comic canon. Spike lived in Twilight's room in the dorm, and Twilight raised him as a baby. So initially he didn't have a relationship with Twilight's family at all. He probably only really interacted with them during summer and winter vacation when Twilight went home.

There is also some background information from the show's staff that isn't in the comics or the show, but which was released before issue 40 came out and may no longer be accurate. This information was that Celestia raised Spike for a time and then she made him Twilight's assistant. This could refer to the period before issue 40. Or it could be some period after issue 40 but before episode 1 which isn't covered in the show or the comics. Nothing in any official material clarifies if this is the case.

We also know that in the show Spike lives with Twilight in her library tower. Neither of them live with Twilight's parents.

Conclusion

In conclusion the evidence that we have in canon material from both the show and the comic is that Spike simply wasn't part of Twilight's family, because he lived with Twilight, and Twilight moved out of her parents house shortly after he was hatched.

Personal views

I have no personal opposition to Spike being considered a member of Twilight's family. If new canon material came along illustrating that he had a relationship with them then I'd be totally OK with that.

As things stand, the show rarely ever deals with anything that happened to any of the characters before the pilot episode. Most of the things that we know are either ancient history, or relate to a character getting their Cutie Mark. The characters also rarely discuss their families. Fluttershy didn't get a canon family until season 6. Pinkie's family appeared in a flashback but it was left open as to whether this was real until a later season. Rainbow Dash's father is seen once, in a flashback, in season 4. Rarity's family appear and disappear at random, and Sweetie Belle seems to spend as much time living with Rarity as with them.

I don't think that this is a conspiracy, or that the writers are doing anything deliberately, Spike's relationship to Twilight's family simply hasn't been relevant to any episodes or comics.

It seemed clear to me that fit into the "younger brother" slot with Twilight Sparkle. The legit concern for him, the way she rolls her eyes at his antics, the pride she has for him; everything about their relationship pointed, to me at least, that they are far closer than "employee and employer" that his "#1 Assistant" title would imply. Yet there is clearly (forgive me, Twilight x Spike shippers) no romantic interest there; he's infatuated with Rarity, and Twilight is generally too involved with her studies and/or duties to have much romantic interest (in her home dimension, anyway). In fact, that's one of the major missed opportunities of Equestria Girls in my opinion. Having Spike physically be the younger brother that Twilight sees him as would have had great story potential, but, alas, it was not to be.

Rather than continue to bash EG, which, forgive the pun/image, would be beating a dead horse at this point, I'll just say that while Spike is Twilight's younger brother figure, and unless there's some story down the line where Spike needs a next-of-kin for some reason, there's no reason for the story to formalize that.

Edited by digiman619
typo

2 minutes ago, digiman619 said:

It seemed clear to me that fit into the "younger brother" slot with Twilight Sparkle. The legit concern for him, the way she rolls her eyes at his antics, the pride she has for him; everything about their relationship pointed, to me at least, that they are far closer than "employee and employer" that his "#1 Assistant" title would imply. Yet there is clearly (forgive me, Twilight x Spike shippers) no romantic interest there; he's infatuated with Rarity, and Twilight is generally to involved with her studies and/or duties to have much romantic interest (in her home dimension, anyway).

I think that Spike's relationship with Twilight crosses multiple domains.

He acts as her assistant because he fills in all of those duties like taking notes and fetching\carrying things and running errands. Which aren't really "little brother" things. Yet he also sleeps in a basket in her bedroom. Which is more something that a pet would do.

Twilight doesn't really treat Spike like a little brother a lot of the time. She treats him more like an assistant about 80% of the time, yet she occasionally does normal mom\big sister things and fusses over him.

Then again, Spike once gave Twilight a tomato juice bath. Which isn't something that a sibling or an assistant would really do.

5 minutes ago, SquipyCheetah said:

Maybe the writers want to allow the fans to make their own interpretation about their relationship without directly saying it. 

To be honest, I think that the writers believe that they have explained Twilight and Spike's relationship quite clearly, so they don't need to say any more.

I honestly thought that this was all laid down pretty clearly in season 1, and I'm a little surprised that people still think that there are questions to be answered.

I guess the writers just don't particularly care about revealing the exact nature of Twilight and Spike's relationship. We know they're close and that Spike is her "number one assistant", but apart from that things are kind of unclear. But then again we've had already some episodes showing us that Spike is basically Twilight's adopted son, so I don't think they really need to confirm anything.

42 minutes ago, Purple Smart said:

I guess the writers just don't particularly care about revealing the exact nature of Twilight and Spike's relationship. We know they're close and that Spike is her "number one assistant", but apart from that things are kind of unclear. But then again we've had already some episodes showing us that Spike is basically Twilight's adopted son, so I don't think they really need to confirm anything.

If you read the blogs, Twitter feeds and DeviantArt pages from the people behind the show and the comic you'll quickly see that the writers often don't think quite as deeply about things as the fans do. They get asked quite a lot of questions that they'd never even thought of, so they don't have answers to them, and even when they do have answers its usually personal opinions rather than the hard canonical information that fans are looking for.

You could ask 10 different artists and writers what Spike's relationship with Twilight is and you'd probably get answers ranging from "He's her number one assistant" to "He's the omelette that she didn't get the chance to make".

I think that their relationship varies depending on who wrote the episode. There writers probably have 2-3 sentences on a sheet of paper as a guide and everything else is their own personal head-canon\opinion. It's why some episodes treat their relationship in totally different ways.

2 hours ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

If you read the blogs, Twitter feeds and DeviantArt pages from the people behind the show and the comic you'll quickly see that the writers often don't think quite as deeply about things as the fans do. They get asked quite a lot of questions that they'd never even thought of, so they don't have answers to them, and even when they do have answers its usually personal opinions rather than the hard canonical information that fans are looking for.

You could ask 10 different artists and writers what Spike's relationship with Twilight is and you'd probably get answers ranging from "He's her number one assistant" to "He's the omelette that she didn't get the chance to make".

I think that their relationship varies depending on who wrote the episode. There writers probably have 2-3 sentences on a sheet of paper as a guide and everything else is their own personal head-canon\opinion. It's why some episodes treat their relationship in totally different ways.

Ooo, good answer! 

:chillin:  :sweetieyes:

Also, "the omelette she didn't' get a chance to make"?

:derpydance:

On 8/27/2016 at 6:07 PM, _Slashy_ said:

What everypony else said. Yeah, _Slashy_, if you're hoping for more, you might be disappointed. It's pretty clearly a very close/little brother-little sister-type relationship...more than just an employer and definitely not something romantic. Not everything has to be spelled out - that's what fanfiction is for ;>

21 minutes ago, HailKingSombra said:

Not everything has to be spelled out - that's what fanfiction is for ;>

I though that fanfiction was there so that people could write self insert fantasies about Fluttershy and Big Mac.

3 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

I though that fanfiction was there so that people could write self insert fantasies about Fluttershy and Big Mac.

That too! And Fluttershy and Discord and Discord and Celestia and Celestia and Sombra...and well, you get the idea...