Steamworks

So you wanna play competitive TF2

The guys over at playcomp.tf give a much better idea of what the Hell competitive TF2 even is, so I'll leave that to them.

The comp.tf wiki goes deeper into it.

Good ol' TeamFortress.tv acts as a bit of a hub for the competitive community, but it is highly biased towards 6v6.

If you just wanna hop in and watch the whole thing happen and figure it out along the way, just hit up eXtelevision and/or TeamFortress.tv on YouTube.

Muselk also did a video:

To sort of teal deer it, there are 3 main formats, 6v6, 9v9 (Highlander), and 4v4. 6v6 usually runs 2 Scouts, 2 Soldiers, a Demo, and a Medic and plays a lot of 5CP with a little KotH thrown in. Highlander runs 1 of each class and plays 5CP, KotH, Payload, and Steel. 4v4 plays with a bit more of an open meta in regards to classes, but 1 Scout, 1 Soldier, 1 Demo, and a Medic isn't super uncommon, and they play a lot of KotH with the occasional 3CP or even experimentally Junction or Doomsday.

A lot of pub players are gonna have an easier time transitioning into Highlander, especially if they don't main Scout, Soldier, Demo, or Medic. 6s does use all classes, but it does so situationally. 4s isn't taken super seriously most of the time, so it's another decent choice for pubbers.

How do you know if you're ready to play competitive TF2? If you're reading this, you're probably okay for lobbies and/or UGC Iron Highlander. If you have an idea of how to aim and what your class is supposed to do, you're fine. You'll also need a mic. You can get a mic for next to nothing. You'll also need Mumble (if someone ever sends you a mumble link that isn't that one and says you need some special/updated version of mumble, that's a phishing attempt, just block/remove the person without clicking it).

TF2 Center is a place you can your feet wet with competitive. There will be some dickheads, both in TF2 Center and the wider competitive community, but remember that they're likely shit tier players and will never climb out of the shit tier league divisions because of their shitty attitudes. There are also like a dozen not dickheads for every dickhead you encounter.

NA 6v6 Newbie Mixes and/or NA 9v9 Newbie Mixes are another great way to get started in competitive TF2.

Questions? Comments? Anything I've forgotten?

I've been really meaning to start doing competitive for the longest time now, though I never thought I was good enough. Honestly however, I really think I can get into it since I've gotten pretty good as a solider and a sniper

These guys went for it. They played in UGC Iron Highlander. Unless you really want to admit you're worse than this gaggle of 12 year olds, just go for it.

That was a pretty shitty joke video. Ignore like 99% of what he says. Sensitivity is largely personal preference, but I don't see too many high level players outside of the 4 inches/360 to 10 inches/360 range (aside from some Scouts/Snipers who actually have to slide their mice down the street outside their home for several blocks just to turn around to spycheck). Aiming in other FPS games does transfer. Quake aim, especially with rockets and LG, translates rather nicely and has the bonus of using the same math with the mouse sensitivity numbers, so it's trivial to keep your sens the same in both TF2 and Quake Live. CS:GO players on Sniper in TF2 are goddamn terrifying.

I did, but tiny bits of it are still valid. The only real way to get better at aiming is to get out and aim. MGE can help you improve your aim. 120/144hz monitors help with tracking. A lot of pubbers would benefit from changing their sensitivity to something other than 0.000001 inch/360.

I've been kinda out of touch with TF2 lately. Came back recently for contracts and there seem to be a loooot of new weapons with all sorts of effects :S

I tried to get into competitive before but it didn't go well. Had trouble finding a team that could get their s*yay*t together so I just had to abandon it. I'm no leader; I can't organise a group to save my life, so I can understand if people find it difficult, but I still expect people who actually go out and form their own groups to actually know what they're doing and to put the effort in. Likewise, I expect people who join said groups to honour the time commitments they agree to upon joining. It's not very much fun staring at a forum page, skype convo, steam grup page, etc, just waiting for one or two people to never show up or - as the case usually is - waiting for SOMEBODY other than myself to break the radio silence -_-

I will add that if you want to get better at this game, that you add Linkuser and tell him to hook you up.

You can add me as well if you want though if he declines and I can help instead. :3

I will add that if you want to get better at this game, that you add Linkuser and tell him to hook you up.

You can add me as well if you want though if he declines and I can help instead. :3

I don't know whatcha mean by "hook you up", is that a reference to the stash of Diet coke I have?

The biggest problem are people like me who main two of the highest skilled ceiling classes in the game, Spy and Sniper. Everyone wants to play them, and only the "best of the best" aka the most popular players, get to ever see any competitive play in Gold and Platinum level game play. I as a spy who focuses on the objective more than the kills, would be more than ready to handle Gold, especially considering communication at Gold level is something I've dreamed of participating in as it has always been the bane of most of my teams when playing in both Steel and Silver, but unless I'm a 10k subscribed TF2 youtuber, my chances of even seeing Gold play as a Spy is slim to none.