Lord Seraph

Did G2 even exist?

Yes G2 existed and was an absolute travesty. I think they look like fakies but sad thing is they aren't x.x I love the old generations but not G2 or G3.5. My favorite cousin's little sister had some G2 McPonies and my cousin would hide the mane and tail with her hands to show me how ratlike she thought they looked when she did that.

12 minutes ago, Lord Seraph said:

G1.5 was still G1 from what I've heard. Just Ponies in suburban environment.

Apparently this was G2. The REAL G2.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/G2_Ponies

It never had any animation it seems. And only ran for 1 year.

G2 only had an Video Game Tie-in  The Tales series was an late G1 reboot of the cartoon removing the fantasy breeds and only having earth ponies living like humans.  G2 was known for being more horse style bodies.

Just now, Cavy said:

Yes G2 existed and was an absolute travesty. I think they look like fakies but sad thing is they aren't x.x I love the old generations but not G2 or G3.5.

They looked like... horses.

Not as cringey as G3.

And strangely resemble G4 Saddle Arabian Horses. Any chance Saddle Arabians were inspired by G2 pony designs?

G2 was a toy line only, there was no cartoon associated with it. The original cartoon was based on the G1 toys, then the G2 toys came out but no new cartoon, then the G3 toys and a new My Little Pony series based on them. The final toy line before G4 is usually called G3.5, not sure why other than the style didn't change all that much and My Little Pony Tales were based on these.

• Like 1

I like G3. They look more like G1 than G2 did. G3.5 was horrible though with the humongous heads and legs with tiny bodies. I don't think the Saddle Arabians look like G2 but this is all a matter of opinion of course. Things look different to different people.

Just now, Cavy said:

I like G3. They look more like G1 than G2 did. G3.5 was horrible though with the humongous heads and legs with tiny bodies. I don't think the Saddle Arabians look like G2 but this is all a matter of opinion of course. Things look different to different people.

G3 animations had beautiful environment I'll admit.

198183__safe_screencap_flower_g3_backgro

3 minutes ago, Thrackerzod said:

G2 was the toy line only, as far as I know there was no cartoon associated with it.

The original cartoon was G1, then the G2 toys came out, then the G3 cartoons (I believe My Little Pony Tales is considered G3.5).

It seemed like G2 did continue in Europe up until 2003. Cutting into G3.

http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/new97_main.html

the G2 line went from 1997 to 1999 in the us Hasbro europe extended the line there until 2002 because the g2 line sold there better leading to the big run of fakies under the Fillies brand name because g3 looked odd. 

n1-secret.jpgsweetberry.gifn3-prin1.jpg

They also got happy meal toys.

n-mcdisplay.jpg

and an CD-ROM pony rearing game.

http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/new_cd-rom.html

cd-video.gif

I always was a little confused if G1.5 and G2 were the same thing, glad to have it confirmed it was a separate thing.

The only media adaptation G2 had was a video game called Friendship Gardens. The toyline didn't do so well in the U.S. and got discontinued in 1999, but it did better in Europe and continued there for a few more years.

10 hours ago, Lord Seraph said:

Why didn't it sell well in the US?

What didn't people like about that generation?

the Collectors market here did not like that they looked too horse like than the G1 body style. also like G2 transformers the lack of Cartoon promotion did not help.  Tales was airing in reruns and that show was G1.5.  The same effect as TF G2 airing old G1 episodes with bad cgi and the old toy models. also this EU cover for tales explains the confusion of what gen the cartoon was from most of the VHS tapes used G2 keyart on the covers instead of the real keyart for the show. that would be like shout putting out the MLP G1 film with G4 artwork on the cover.

MV5BMTIwNzIxMjk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjc3

2 minutes ago, jeffpiatt said:

the Collectors market here did not like that they looked too horse like than the G1 body style. also like G2 transformers the lack of Cartoon promotion did not help.  Tales was airing in reruns and that show was G1.5.  The same effect as TF G2 airing old G1 episodes with bad cgi and the old toy models. also this EU cover for tales explains the confusion of what gen the cartoon was from most of the VHS tapes used G2 keyart on the covers instead of the real keyart for the show. that would be like shout putting out the MLP G1 film with G4 artwork on the cover.

MV5BMTIwNzIxMjk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjc3

Man the IP management must not have been great back then.

Honestly though... they actually looked kind of adorable back in the days. They didn't look like hippos.

17 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

The only media adaptation G2 had was a video game called Friendship Gardens. The toyline didn't do so well in the U.S. and got discontinued in 1999, but it did better in Europe and continued there for a few more years.

I actually had the game, it was a very virtual pet thing but after a few hours with your pony, you had to let it go "over the rainbow" and choose another. .-. But the animation in it was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I had no interest in what I thought were skinny underfed ponies, except the fact a GREEN pony got made (Ivy) and wanted some toys of her after 5 atempts of getting her McDonald's toy and getting white/pink ponies instead. xD

Some MLP Tales VHS and DVD's use G2 art on them, and they are official. :/ Kinda lame, but yeah no G2 cartoons were made. I think it'd of helped the toys sell better...

Just now, Lord Seraph said:

Man the IP management must not have been great back then.

Honestly though... they actually looked kind of adorable back in the days. They didn't look like hippos.

it was the 90's where hasbro was mostly out of TV production and was no longer in control of there old cartoons beyond the IP arm.  But the Euro Zone guys were bad to the point of using modern logos for old cartoons. the same people who did the G1 cartoons with G2 art did an Video reissue of Transformers the movie with an Photoshopped RID logo in 2000 instead of the G1 film logo apparently they wanted to make kids think it was the current toyline cast and fool there parents too.  Amazon has tons of old DVD versions of G1 pony cartoons where the parents are offended that the G1 series was on the disc because G3 was so conflict-less while G1 opened with pastel ponies fighting an demon Centaur followed by an drug addicted cat-girl witch and her lizard man boyfriend enabler.

6 minutes ago, jeffpiatt said:

it was the 90's where hasbro was mostly out of TV production and was no longer in control of there old cartoons beyond the IP arm.  But the Euro Zone guys were bad to the point of using modern logos for old cartoons. the same people who did the G1 cartoons with G2 art did an Video reissue of Transformers the movie with an Photoshopped RID logo in 2000 instead of the G1 film logo apparently they wanted to make kids think it was the current toyline cast and fool there parents too.  Amazon has tons of old DVD versions of G1 pony cartoons where the parents are offended that the G1 series was on the disc because G3 was so conflict-less while G1 opened with pastel ponies fighting an demon Centaur followed by an drug addicted cat-girl witch and her lizard man boyfriend enabler.

The late 90s and early 2000s were what I believe are the beginning of this generations' pussification.