DrakeyC

Anyone starting to like the films more?

I by no means dislike the show (though I'm finding Season 6 kinda lackluster save for a couple of episodes so far), but I am finding myself more excited for the films these days than the new seasons.

On the one hand, the movies have something the show really never has - an ongoing story. Every film continues story and character arcs that were set up in the last one. It creates a much stronger sense of continuity and makes me interested to see how the characters will continue to grow and the story continue to deepen. The show has always been slice of life style, and even with story arcs that span more than an episode, they usually only take up two or three episodes. The closest thing the show has had to a tightly plotted story arc is Season 4 with the Harmony Chest, but even then outside the premiere and finale that story arc only took up five episodes of twenty-two others (six if you count Castle-Mania since they go there to research the Chest).

Related to that, the movies don't have something the show does - a status quo. Every new movie changes the cast line-up, expands on story elements tracing back to the first film, and grows the main three characters (Sunset and the two Twilights) more. I know when I go to watch Legends of Everfree that the characters will end it in a different place than when they began it. Contrast the show, where individual character development has been much more gradual over six seasons, and at any time a lone writer is liable to ignore consistent characterization for episodes like 28 Pranks Later or Spice Up Your Life. Or the flipside where potential story and character arcs are set up and go nowhere.

And on the other hand, the movies have a much longer runtime, so they can develop their plot and stories more. I think a major reason Sunset Shimmer had a much more satisfying redemption arc is because she got a 73-minute movie to grow in, while Discord and Diamond Tiara were confined to less than a third of that time. The movies feel epic and big in ways only the premieres and finales of the show do. Every movie feels like a grand adventure in itself, while the show's adventures are confined to the same 22 minute timeslot as other episodes.

It just feels like the show's stories are beginning to feel like they've all been played out: Rainbow and the Wonderbolts, the CMC (both cutie marks and Diamond Tiara), Rarity and her boutiques, Fluttershy being assertive, Twilight becoming a princess and a mentor that no longer needs Celestia to lean on for support. Meanwhile with the films it feels like we've barely scratched the surface of the stories waiting to be told in this other world, and I'm always left wanting to see more.

Anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

I never minded the films in the first place, but I do think the sequel was better, so let's see if the series continues the trend of progressively better sequels.

I like them equally for separate reasons. Like you said the movies have an ongoing story and a longer running time, but the show has more episodes and settings so each as a different strength I like. That being said I am far less cynical to EQG than I am with FIM, that I'll usually be much more excited about EQG info while sighing at FIM info about future episodes and whatnot. 

When I first heard news about Equestria Girls I was really scared. I though it was going to be a show that will replace MLP or something and then I found out that Hasbro's making a movie about humans. It didn't bother me as much, but I still was kind of sceptical about it. I fell in love with the first movie and hoped for more of these. Then they announced Rainbow Rocks and I was already a fan of EQG franchise. Again, loved it. Songs were great, villains were great and plot was very interesting. Same with FG. Now I'm impatiently waiting for LoE. I'd take any of these movies over S6 any day.

Do I like them? No.
Do I love them? Heck yes. ♥

Sci-Twi brinks back a lot of the awkward adorkableness that Twilight has lost. Sunset Shimmer is a great character because of her sincerity. Also, EQG doesn't have the cancer that is killing MLP: Starlight Glimmer.

On 8/28/2016 at 2:19 AM, DrakeyC said:

I by no means dislike the show (though I'm finding Season 6 kinda lackluster save for a couple of episodes so far), but I am finding myself more excited for the films these days than the new seasons.

On the one hand, the movies have something the show really never has - an ongoing story. Every film continues story and character arcs that were set up in the last one. It creates a much stronger sense of continuity and makes me interested to see how the characters will continue to grow and the story continue to deepen. The show has always been slice of life style, and even with story arcs that span more than an episode, they usually only take up two or three episodes. The closest thing the show has had to a tightly plotted story arc is Season 4 with the Harmony Chest, but even then outside the premiere and finale that story arc only took up five episodes of twenty-two others (six if you count Castle-Mania since they go there to research the Chest).

Related to that, the movies don't have something the show does - a status quo. Every new movie changes the cast line-up, expands on story elements tracing back to the first film, and grows the main three characters (Sunset and the two Twilights) more. I know when I go to watch Legends of Everfree that the characters will end it in a different place than when they began it. Contrast the show, where individual character development has been much more gradual over six seasons, and at any time a lone writer is liable to ignore consistent characterization for episodes like 28 Pranks Later or Spice Up Your Life. Or the flipside where potential story and character arcs are set up and go nowhere.

And on the other hand, the movies have a much longer runtime, so they can develop their plot and stories more. I think a major reason Sunset Shimmer had a much more satisfying redemption arc is because she got a 73-minute movie to grow in, while Discord and Diamond Tiara were confined to less than a third of that time. The movies feel epic and big in ways only the premieres and finales of the show do. Every movie feels like a grand adventure in itself, while the show's adventures are confined to the same 22 minute timeslot as other episodes.

It just feels like the show's stories are beginning to feel like they've all been played out: Rainbow and the Wonderbolts, the CMC (both cutie marks and Diamond Tiara), Rarity and her boutiques, Fluttershy being assertive, Twilight becoming a princess and a mentor that no longer needs Celestia to lean on for support. Meanwhile with the films it feels like we've barely scratched the surface of the stories waiting to be told in this other world, and I'm always left wanting to see more.

Anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

The films are a little higher on my list, with the comic series coming in right behind them, mainly because they seem to show more altitude than the series itself now.

I've enjoyed the Equestria Girls since the start. In fact, it was the first movie that got me into the fandom almost three years ago. While I do love MLP and all the charm it possesses, my heart will always be one with EQG.

Granted, I don't watch the first one all that much because of how Sunset was portrayed, yet I've watched Friendship Games extensively to the point where I've memorized just about all of the dialogue. Will I do the same with Legend of Everfree? Most likely.

:sunset:

• Like 2

On 10/1/2016 at 10:47 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

I've enjoyed the Equestria Girls since the start. In fact, it was the first movie that got me into the fandom almost three years ago. While I do love MLP and all the charm it possesses, my heart will always be one with EQG.

Granted, I don't watch the first one all that much because of how Sunset was portrayed, yet I've watched Friendship Games extensively to the point where I've memorized just about all of the dialogue. Will I do the same with Legend of Everfree? Most likely.

You should see the Anon-A-Miss comic as well as the fan stories, very exhilarating.

I own that particular comic--the original print and not the reprinted version in the compilation--and have read it quite a few times. It even served as a good dozen chapters for one of my fanfics over on FimFiction.

20 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I own that particular comic--the original print and not the reprinted version in the compilation--and have read it quite a few times. It even served as a good dozen chapters for one of my fanfics over on FimFiction.

Always the original. ;) I usually look for them online myself.

2 hours ago, Galacter said:

Always the original. ;) I usually look for them online myself.

When it comes to the comics, I usually go for the A cover because I feel it's the proper one. On rare occasions I'll get an alternate cover due to unfortunate circumstances.

Just now, Ganondorf8 said:

When it comes to the comics, I usually go for the A cover because I feel it's the proper one. On rare occasions I'll get an alternate cover due to unfortunate circumstances.

I like them both but the original has the "at home" feeling to it.

5 minutes ago, Galacter said:

I like them both but the original has the "at home" feeling to it.

And the A covers gets some of the more interesting design choices.

I gave all the episodes a note and then I calculated the average note of all seasons and the S6 got the worst average xD (not that it was a bad one, but still under others...)

So I agreed, the s6 isn't really good…

As for the movies, the third movie wasn't better than the second in my opinion, but generally speaking, yes they are getting better and better :o I mean the fourth was really good, better than the others -in my opinion. I really hope they'll continue that way ^^

On 10/5/2016 at 11:47 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

And the A covers gets some of the more interesting design choices.

That too. :D

I'm hoping that the three specials answer questions regarding the crack in the portal, the pendants, and that age old question that continues to linger about.

On 2016-10-08 at 0:48 AM, CosmicSpark said:

I really love the movies, though I still haven't seen the new one. hope more to the universe gets answered and starlight glimmer :P

Seeing an EQG Starlight would be pretty great haha

• Like 1

I love the Equestria Girls movies. My favorites are The Friendship Games, Legend of Everfree, and Rainbow Rocks. 

The first one is an okay movie, Granted it does have some flaws that Rainbow Rocks (And the other two sequels) managed to fix.

About a few months ago, I tried rewatching the first EQG movie. But I couldn't because of how mean Sunset was. and it was so painful to watch.

I was like 30 minutes into the film, and I couldn't take it anymore so I turned it off.

Well, having seen all 4 of them I can honestly say I loved watching EQG 2, 3 and 4 and while the first movie had it's issues I wouldn't say it's too bad. In any case, I actually have enjoyed the EQG movies more than the last two seasons of the show.

Storylines, characters, art and design, music, it's all excellently done. That's not to say the show hasn't had it's moments recently, but it just shows that the staff can deliver something excellent when they take their time. Having much more air time also helps, even if the movies still suffer from mild pacing issues, they do not have all the forced exposition the show seems to heavily cling to. Cramming a good story into a 22 minute episode isn't easy, especially if you have new and inexperienced writers making them or corporate people / other departments breathing down your neck with deadlines or things they wanted included. 

For now I'll stay optimistic about the show and will be looking forward to the EQG Specials that will be coming in 2017, hopefully they'll be handled well and maintain the quality we've seen in the last 3 movies.

• Like 1