DawnInPonyville

Thoughts on Spike's Love of Rarity?

I think it's cute too. Though it usually seems one-sided to me. Oh well, it's always fun to see it in comics/fics. It's not like the show can ever really develop it.

As long as it's not EqG. It's not funny when one's a person and one's a dog.

:sm_vomitpony:

11 hours ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

Isn't Ember even older than Rarity?

The fact that Ember argues with her dad over what she's allowed to do certainly makes her seem much younger than a character who owns three boutiques in different cities.

Spike has certainly been maturing in recent seasons, but he's still very much a kid at heart.  They played with that nicely in the last episode when the Josephine Baker pony went strutting by and Spike got excited that a table nearby would be perfect for setting up their game.  His crush on Shmarity... Er, Rarity may be a delusion, but it's a completely innocent one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harwick said:

The fact that Ember argues with her dad over what she's allowed to do certainly makes her seem much younger than a character who owns three boutiques in different cities.

Spike has certainly been maturing in recent seasons, but he's still very much a kid at heart.  They played with that nicely in the last episode when the Josephine Baker pony went strutting by and Spike got excited that a table nearby would be perfect for setting up their game.  His crush on Shmarity... Er, Rarity may be a delusion, but it's a completely innocent one.

Yeah but given how Dragon aging seems to work, with Spike still being considered a Baby despite being hatched during Twilight's Fillyhood Torch is likely at LEAST hundreds of years old, So Ember could technically be like in her 40s or 50s or something but be by Dragon standards around Rarity's "age". 

As for Rarity and Spike, people are all like "RARITY DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT SPIKE" I just need to say how wrong they are, Rarity doesn't love Spike in a romantic sense, and if you think she should be obliged too well then you have some warped views of romance. BUT Rarity DOES love Spike as a friend and as we saw just this season is willing to literally go on an incredibly risky adventure just to support him, she with all her prim and properness didn't give a damn she was covered in mud and likely bat poop, she only cared her friend was in pain and she didn't know why. Yes she sometimes does kinda use his feelings to get him to do stuff but he ENJOYS doing those things because he's helping and spending time with her, Rarity wouldn't do that if she didn't know that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harwick said:

I don't think that arguing with your father is really an age thing. Just look at how many women in their 40s argue with their fathers because he doesn't like their second or third husband.

I'm also sure that their argument was over her safety because she was much smaller than the other dragons, not because she was younger.

That's also pretty normal. There are plenty of fathers out here in the real world who don't want their adult children to go to places like Egypt or Turkey because they don't think that it's safe, or who don't want their adult daughters to play contact sports.

Besides, don't dragons live much longer than ponies, Ember could be a couple of hundred years old?

4 hours ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

I don't think that arguing with your father is really an age thing. Just look at how many women in their 40s argue with their fathers because he doesn't like their second or third husband.

I'm also sure that their argument was over her safety because she was much smaller than the other dragons, not because she was younger.

That's also pretty normal. There are plenty of fathers out here in the real world who don't want their adult children to go to places like Egypt or Turkey because they don't think that it's safe, or who don't want their adult daughters to play contact sports.

Besides, don't dragons live much longer than ponies, Ember could be a couple of hundred years old?

Not just arguing with her father, but arguing with her father about what she is allowed to do.  As a specific storytelling choice, that's not a role you assign to a character unless your intention is to portray them as a rebellious child/teen, rather than a full adult.  I think that Ember was clearly intended to be a "teenage dragon" just as Garble was.

As to whether a teenage dragon can be decades or centuries old, sure if you want that to be your head canon.   It doesn't really seem to fit to me, as Spike seems to be of a relative maturity for his actual years since hatching and didn't stay at a baby's level of maturity... So I don't really see why their emotional maturity would stall out at "teenager" for centuries.  But that's all fan speculation anyhow.

As far as Rarity not caring for Spike, even as far back as Dragonquest, she showed that she does care for him. Why else would she threaten to tear those dragons apart if they hurt Spike? 

17 hours ago, Harwick said:

I did like the bait-and-switch the animators did, though, as it looked for a moment like Spike was responding to Josephine, then ran right parallel to her and over to the table.

it's the worst, next to Spike+Starlight.
it probably wouldn't end well if they where actually a couple, Spike only seem to like Rarity for her appearance.
and this thing about Spike being older than he looks, well he is a dragon, and by dragon age, he is a baby dragon.
plus it wouldn't make sense, Spike, a messy dragon kid with a serious, over-dramatic, nobleish pony?
nope.

It's cute, but it certainly won't go anywhere. Rarity knows about Spike's crush, but I'm sure she doesn't say anything because she knows it isn't something serious.

It's been well established since Season 2 at the very least that Dragon Years and Pony Years differ by quite a significant margin !  Even though the Crystal Empire's little purple hero might still just be a dragon boy and not a dragon MAN yet, but for all we know, Spike could very well still be young by the time Rarity hits middle age!   Taking that into account, it's never bothered me in the slightest since cartoony crushes are exactly that... A little affection from one that cares about you can go a long way in keeping Spikey-Wikey's confidence up, so I'd say it's beneficial more than anything else!

When that fails or falls flat, Spike always has Princess Ember to fall back to to commute with a member of his own species if things with Rarity go a little sour or not as intended. If the show staff ever push this relationship further, I'd be interested in seeing how the hookup would play out.

Its quite bothersome. A dragon and a pony? Interspecies relationships dont exactly spell well.

Besides, spike has a new waifu that he needs to think about. And one that is actually his species.

For all we know, Rarity could be as old as Spike's mother, lol.

But yeah, I think Spike will eventually lose the crush, but even when or if that happens, I think the two can still be "just friends."

On 31/08/2016 at 4:53 PM, Harwick said:

As a specific storytelling choice, that's not a role you assign to a character unless your intention is to portray them as a rebellious child/teen

If you watch shows like Law and Order it's actually pretty common for them to have literally dozens of episodes where either the father or a daughter in their 30s\40s is murdered by the other because the father doesn't agree with the daughter's life choices.

Pretty much every cop show always has a character where a father thinks that being a cop is too dangerous for his adult daughter. It's also a common theme in shows with female FBI agents, female fire fighters, and female marines.

The age of the characters is mostly determined by the age of the target audience rather than by the parental dynamic.

In the case of MLP, the target audience is about 11 years old, which would make Ember about 13-14 years old as cartoons generally make protagonists a few years older than the audience (One of the reasons why people keep insisting that the Mane 6 are teenagers) , but I really don't see Ember as being school girl.

If this were real life, I'd say that she would be in her early 20s.

10 hours ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

If you watch shows like Law and Order it's actually pretty common for them to have literally dozens of episodes where either the father or a daughter in their 30s\40s is murdered by the other because the father doesn't agree with the daughter's life choices.

Pretty much every cop show always has a character where a father thinks that being a cop is too dangerous for his adult daughter. It's also a common theme in shows with female FBI agents, female fire fighters, and female marines.

Sure... That's a regular theme.  But the difference again is when they fight over what the daughter is *allowed* to do... Not what the parents approve of.  Approval issues last forever... Permission issues end with childhood.

18 hours ago, Harwick said:

Sure... That's a regular theme.  But the difference again is when they fight over what the daughter is *allowed* to do... Not what the parents approve of.  Approval issues last forever... Permission issues end with childhood.

When you live under my roof young lady, you do what you're told.

For the most part, Spikes side of the equation seems more like preteen puppy love and nothing more honestly. Although I admit I'd be interested if they did introduce an inter species relationship with two completely different species, and no not two different types of ponies or equines ( Zebra's and Donkey's are still related to ponies ) but completely different species like griffins/ponies, dragons/ponies, ect. I really don't look to hard into it. It seems outside of a few tidbits here and there, they're not really looking to deep into it themselves.

I think it's cute that Spike has a crush on Rarity. What I don't like is that Rarity knows he likes her and abuses his affections. She uses his feelings to make him do things for her, and it's awful of her. She knowingly seduces him into doing her bidding, so to speak. He has a genuine love for this majestic mare, and she disrespects and abuses that. I like Rarity, trust me, I do. I see a lot of myself in her, her creativity, her passion, her love of fashion, and design, her lust for glamour and sophistication! I adore Rarity, but how she treats Spike is just deplorable. And to show someone using someone who likes them how Rarity does in what is, at it's heart, a children's program is a bit messed up.

On 07/09/2016 at 2:32 AM, Harwick said:

I gave the episode a watch the other day, and he's actually telling her that she's too small a dragon to attempt the challenge. He thinks that the new dragon leader should be big and tough.I think that he'd have said exactly the same thing to Spike, or any other small dragon regardless of whether they are related.

He's talking as a king wanting his successor to be like him, not a father fighting with his teenage daughter.

Anyway, daddy\daughter relationships can be complicated.

On 10/09/2016 at 6:08 AM, MLPTruly said:

I think it's cute that Spike has a crush on Rarity. What I don't like is that Rarity knows he likes her and abuses his affections. She uses his feelings to make him do things for her, and it's awful of her. She knowingly seduces him into doing her bidding, so to speak. He has a genuine love for this majestic mare, and she disrespects and abuses that. I like Rarity, trust me, I do. I see a lot of myself in her, her creativity, her passion, her love of fashion, and design, her lust for glamour and sophistication! I adore Rarity, but how she treats Spike is just deplorable. And to show someone using someone who likes them how Rarity does in what is, at it's heart, a children's program is a bit messed up.

To be fair, Rarity does this kind of thing to pretty much any male character on the show.

Remember how she flirted with the geeky pony with the bow tie in Putting Your Hoof Down, or how she got the delivery pony to make a second trip for her in Rarity Investigates.

How about when she persuaded the stallions to pull the Gala couch in The Best Night Ever?

While Rarity has many admirable qualities she IS quite manipulative. It's a basic part of her character that's been there since the show's original creator was in charge.

Rarity is attractive and she knows it, so she will use this to her advantage by manipulating other ponies into doing things for her. If she's not manipulating others with her looks she pretends to be weak, or to be strong, in order to give others a specific impression of who she is so that they do what she wants. Remember how she got what she wanted from the Diamond Dogs?

While it might be "messed up" as you say, it's common in real life. Real life women flirt with guys all the time to get what they want. It's also common in children's shows. Even ones that are supposed to have strong female role models in them or feminist messages. Kim Possible was an outrageous flirt (She also played heavily on the Daddy's little Girl image with her father), so are characters in shows like Totally Spies.