DawnInPonyville

Thoughts on Spike's Love of Rarity?

I find it kind of unsettling to be honest. I know Faust did it to make the audience understand that Rarity is a beautiful character, but the fact that Spike visually looks like a kid makes it weird to me. I would prefer an episode where Rarity states that they can only be friends.

It doesn't bother me per say in the sense that, I think the show will never take it past the puppy love stage. They still show Rarity getting infatuated with stallions and it does seem to me that Spike sort of realises he has about a snowball's chance in hell, though he still likes to fantasy from time to time. The Simple Ways clearly showed that he won't get insanely jealous just because Rarity is showing interest in another stallion, (despite what fanfiction and even some comics would have you believe).

But I still agree that they really need to have a moment where Rarity makes it clear that even if she finds his attraction flattering, they can only remain friends.

• Like 2

I'm a big Sparity fan. I can see your hesitation on a baby dragon being in love with a grown mare (or at least a young adult), but I don't think the age difference is that drastic. I think that this is still in the unrequited love stage, and I think that Rarity takes advantage of Spike's love. I still think that she will reward his tenacity sometime later in their lives, but that will remain in the realm of the fanfiction.

One of the things that bothers me in MLP (that is mostly in the past now) is the way that Rarity kinda acknowledges that Spike likes her... Or did like... It's another thing I feel has been pulled down. Because it made me feel uncomfortable that Rarity was using Spike's affection of her to make him do favors to her without ever letting him know that he doesn't stand a real chance with her. It was always unclear to me how did Rarity see their "relationship" and how dis she see Spike seeing it. The thing is that Spike is a child and Rarity is an adult, no mater how many caveats there may be about dragons and ponies aging. And while I think that there are fics that deal with this by simply making Rarity wait for him to grow up one way or another, this is never going to see the light of day in the cartoon or comics.

MLP is afraid of calling Derpy "Derpy", of Twilight punching Tirek, and Queen Celestia. The cartoon will never touch this, either to put an end or to confirm it.

Properly addressing Sparity is one of the last items on my pony bucket list.

For character development I want it to end through Spike growing out of his crush instead of Rarity letting him down. Having that crush evolve into a close friendship is the more healthy route and places Spike on more mature footing. It could also be one of his big moments in the show if handled right.

• Like 1

It used to bother me a little too, because of the age difference (although that's always been a little vague). But it doesn't look like it'll ever go anywhere, which is probably for the best, even if they have a thematic greed/generosity thing going on that's pretty neat. I think shipping Sweetie Belle and Spike is a good alternative for Sparity fans who're a little icked out by the age difference.

Idk just a little crush. I mean I had crushes on older women when I was younger except I knew I was too young for them obviously nd wouldn't really want to get with them either way. But yea just a crush, it's in many movies and shows so yea. Younger to older crush

7 minutes ago, Quibble Pants said:

I used to ship Spike with Rarity but now I ship Spike with Starlight Glimmer. I find it a cute ship. LOL  :D 

but why these two? they doesn't have a lot of interaction...

...And i won't say that's pedophilia because i'm going to create an earthquake. :ajlie:

I think it's kind of cute in the puppylove kind of way mentioned in above posts but still weird because he's a child and she's an adult.

Mlp won't touch love so forget it. There are already plenty of fanfics and fanart as an alternative.  

Also i am pretty sure that they did say a few times that they are friends and nothing more. The example i remember the most is in Inspiration manifestation.

I don' think it's a big deal, and in fact, I think it's kind of cute.  Strait little boys have crushes on pretty girls, no matter their age, and no matter the girls' age.  Boys have crushes on their lady teachers all the time.  And strait little girls have crushes on their guy teachers.  It's natural.  It's whether or not they act on it, especially Rarity given she's the "adult" here, that would cause morality issues.

That's not to say some fans haven't taken the crush way out of proportion and to a disturbing level. :x

I kind of wish they'd move on from it.  Spike's maturing, just like other characters, and getting over a childhood crush should be part of that.

23 hours ago, DawnInPonyville said:

I find it kind of unsettling to be honest. I know Faust did it to make the audience understand that Rarity is a beautiful character, but the fact that Spike visually looks like a kid makes it weird to me. I would prefer an episode where Rarity states that they can only be friends.

In human terms, this would be like a kid having a crush on his older sister's best friend. It's not really weird. It's actually pretty normal in real life.

I think that if Rarity friendzoned him I think that the fandom would bust a blood vessel.

It's better that HAsbro just leave it as a crush and let it fade away by not mentioning it for a while.

17 hours ago, Dublyn Tea said:

I don' think it's a big deal, and in fact, I think it's kind of cute.  Strait little boys have crushes on pretty girls, no matter their age, and no matter the girls' age.  Boys have crushes on their lady teachers all the time.  And strait little girls have crushes on their guy teachers.  It's natural.  It's whether or not they act on it, especially Rarity given she's the "adult" here, that would cause morality issues.

That's not to say some fans haven't taken the crush way out of proportion and to a disturbing level.  :x

Agreed, this kind of thing happens all the time in the real world. Just not with dragons and ponies.

I'm fine with the Spike & Rarity, at least it's not out of nowhere either, as the show established a slight connection on it even in the first episode.

We finally had a possible "out" from the situation with Ember, but that would kind of feel trite and forced. "Oh, spike has a new friend who is a dragon? That's cool. Wait, his friend is a girl? THEY MUST BE PAIRED!"

Anyway, Spike/Crackle OTP.

1 hour ago, strangephantasm said:

We finally had a possible "out" from the situation with Ember, but that would kind of feel trite and forced. "Oh, spike has a new friend who is a dragon? That's cool. Wait, his friend is a girl? THEY MUST BE PAIRED!"

Anyway, Spike/Crackle OTP.

Isn't Ember even older than Rarity?

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:33 PM, The Doctor said:

I kind of wish they'd move on from it.  Spike's maturing, just like other characters, and getting over a childhood crush should be part of that.

I could see this happening at one point. Discord's line from last episode let's us know that the writers are still aware of this, and more importantly how absurd it is."

"Fear not. Your romantic delusions are safe with me."

One of the best parts of Discord, and this is also true of Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation, is his ability to sarcastically doll out the truth of any aspect of the series he is on. Riker's character became stolid after he grew a beard. Worf is a muscle bound idiot with a big head. The crew was saved on a weekly basis by a child smarter than all of them combined.

The way Discord stated that line tells me that Spike knows that he's deluding himself about Rarity. But at the same time, Spike just isn't ready to let this childish crush of his go. I hope it will be addressed when the writers feel that the time is right to deal with this issue.

• Like 1