The Doctor

That subtle reference you might have missed...

The show sure does like to reference things.  Many times the reference is right out in the open.  Like Discord being Q, or Time Turner and Roseluck being paired together all the time.  

But what about those subtle one?  The ones few people get.  If you think you spotted something others didn't share it here. 

Here's one of my favorites.

Here's Fancy Pants.

s1yUMfL.jpg

A suave pony with wavy hair and a fancy mustache.  Probably based upon the famous actor, Errol Flynn.

wmhgyYs.jpg

But the show went further than just basing him on Flynn's appearance.  As we all know, Fancy Pants is seen with Fleur quite often.  A slender pony that seems to enjoy posing.  She also has the Fleur-de-Lis cutie mark.  A symbol of France.  Well, Fleur wasn't random.

Meet Lili Damita.

kirBg1T.jpg

Here she is posing with her husband, Errol Flynn.  Lili Damita was a French model.

• Like 1

Sweet catch indeed!  It's little references like this that go right over kids' heads that remind us that the people behind the kids shows like Pony have grown ups in mind, too.  And they're fun to notice!

The problem with subtle references is that it can be hard to tell what's a subtle reference and what's just a coincidental similarity that you're reading too much into.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arix said:

The problem with subtle references is that it can be hard to tell what's a subtle reference and what's just a coincidental similarity that you're reading too much into.

Especially since the general consensus was that Fleur De Lis was a late add-on, so it wouldn't look so much like Fancy Pants was trying to pick up Rarity.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that exactly, but eyebrows might get raised at the big-city stallion trying to pick up a small-town mare.)

BTW, while Fancy Pants may look like Errol Flynn (nice catch, that) his voice seems to have been modeled on Ronald Coleman.

BTW, this sort of thing, more than any other, illustrates what makes MLP the greatest cartoon of the 21st century (rivaled only by Kim Possible and maybe a couple of others).

The fact that "a simple children's cartoon" can be so multi-layered to allow persons of all ages and all interests to enjoy the show.

Lauren Faust always said she was aiming for a show that parents could enjoy with their children.  I'd say she succeeded... in spades.

medium.png

The fancy mare with the feathered tail and banana cutie mark (that Derpibooru has taken to calling Chiquita Banana) is based off of Josephine Baker, an American born dancer, jazz and pop music singer, and actress. Born in America she moved to France and became a citizen there, where she would go on to solidify her career as an entertainer. She is most well known for her banana costume (Pictured above) where she would perform eccentric and comedic dance routines much to the delight of her audiences. She later became a part of the French Resistance in WWII and a Civil Rights activist in the 1950’s and 1960’s, and finally came back to do a brief stint of stage show dances once again in the 1970’s before she died in 1975.

She is seen as a key figure in French culture of the 1920’s and 1930’s and has been portrayed many times whenever referring to the era, from Anastasia to Les Triplets de Beville and many more.

(Thanks to Bongo on Derpibooru for the image and write-up)

• Like 2

Very good likeness, too, but not really subtle - my wife caught it almost immediately.

Now if we can just figure out who Ms. Harshwhinny is supposed to be...

This might be a bit of a stretch, but here we go.

vlcsnap-2016-08-27-20h14m52s401.png

Discord's voice reminded me of Brian Doyle-Murray in his role in Christmas Vacation, so I decided to look up pictures of it. Here's what I got:

qhsndcgfnive3sdost42.jpg

It might just be me and it usually is, but I could be right too. ^_^

• Like 1

I know the MLP Wiki has a list of all of the allusions, but to this day, I still think Discord Poppins (Mary Discord?) is the best allusion. 

640?cb=20140512112249

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:03 PM, digiman619 said:

Fair enough, but she's from the same era as Errol Flynn, so the average viewer might not get it.

Good point.  My wife is rather a movie buff.

In Flutter Brutter, the whole scene when he went to live to the forest was a reference to Cast Away, with him failing to setting a fire, and the mannequin head referenced Wilson (with the name and the hoof print).

large.png

1170021__safe_screencap_discovery+family

A video reference would be easier, but they took away almost all the content from the movie in Youtube.

2561442500000578-2941985-image-m-15_1423

cast_away.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ScientistDog said:

Last episode when Pinkie song "It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake", from LazyTown. And even the pink matches xD

1257171__safe_solo_pinkie+pie_screencap_

Oh my this song got stuck into my head and these creepy dolls will haunt my dreams xD Nice catch though ^^

• Like 1

On 8/28/2016 at 7:51 PM, The Doctor said:

The show sure does like to reference things.  Many times the reference is right out in the open.  Like Discord being Q, or Time Turner and Roseluck being paired together all the time.  

But what about those subtle one?  The ones few people get.  If you think you spotted something others didn't share it here. 

Here's one of my favorites.

Here's Fancy Pants.

s1yUMfL.jpg

A suave pony with wavy hair and a fancy mustache.  Probably based upon the famous actor, Errol Flynn.

wmhgyYs.jpg

But the show went further than just basing him on Flynn's appearance.  As we all know, Fancy Pants is seen with Fleur quite often.  A slender pony that seems to enjoy posing.  She also has the Fleur-de-Lis cutie mark.  A symbol of France.  Well, Fleur wasn't random.

Meet Lili Damita.

kirBg1T.jpg

Here she is posing with her husband, Errol Flynn.  Lili Damita was a French model.

Doesn't so subtle, you'd need to go back a little in the past to get it. I do understand the point you're tossing out there however.

Let's not forget the very subtle reference to BioShock Infite during Trade Ya.  That one took me a while to understand

On 8/30/2016 at 9:04 PM, ChibiDashie said:

I know the MLP Wiki has a list of all of the allusions, but to this day, I still think Discord Poppins (Mary Discord?) is the best allusion. 

640?cb=20140512112249

Oh that one was quite obvious, I can't imagine anyone here who hasn't made that connection.;)