I think the designs can be similar to 4 or even taken from the amazing art styles inspired by G4. BUT the most important aspect would be for it to raze the target audience rating a little bit to allow for more character growth and more consistent writing. Aka don't be scared to kill villains or don't be scared to show deeper emotional bonds between some characters. Also the villains need to be tad bit more evil or a lot smarter and even succeed in some aspects or to an extent. It would resemble Lord of the rings in a sense because of it's mythical world but isn't that a good thing?. If you have a show series that is as good as LOTR then you are doing something right.

I haven't seen Game of thrones but i think that is also a version to learn from with the higher rating from what i heard.

Unless Hasbro has some big plans to really change things up, I suspect we'll see G4 last a good long while. And anything new might be some form of continuation of G4.

When G5 does come about, I do feel that there's a chance it might be a -cheap- version of G4. But who knows, we'll see!

I do think it's unlikely we'll see them go backwards. They'll stick to focusing on the broader demographic G4 has brought about, that's for certain.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:52 AM, EviLKitten said:

I haven't seen Game of Thrones but i think that is also a version to learn from with the higher rating from what i heard.

I haven't seen it, either - I don't care for the edgy, adult-type stuff (which is just a cheap substitute for good writing, IMO), that HBO and Showtime and A&E offer nowadays.  But I doubt seriously that G5 will follow the GoT model in any way, shape, or form.  At most, they'll expand the target audience up to, say, age 13.

I figure at some point Hasbro will decide they aren't making enough cash off of G4 and then retire it like they have the first three generations.  (Nothing wrong with this, the whole point is to sell toys and make profit and they are a for-profit company.)  If they are smart they'll wait a few years, probably 3-5, then bring out G5 which will be different than G4.  By that time there will be a whole new batch of young eyeballs to impress.  Also, the older G4 fans will have moved on (at least somewhat) and aged as well.  So there wont be as much negative response ("What do you mean there's no Fluttershy in G5?! RAGE!").

On the plus side, I think that G4 will be around for a while to come, as long as Hasbro keeps pulling enough cash.

But, as for G5 itself, that will be a tall order. Lauren Faust set the bar VERY HIGH with her character designs and world-building.  If Hasbro doesn't live up to that, they may have a hard sell. So, I would expect new and interesting characters and some good designs overall.  The fans have shown that they like fun and nifty things and cheap and shoddy does not a dedicated fan-base make.

Time will tell (hopefully a very, very long time.)

On 9/2/2016 at 1:02 PM, cogwheelbrain said:

Lauren Faust set the bar VERY HIGH with her character designs and world-building.

I hope someone high up realizes this, it's hard to imagine they don't but even if they do it brings up the target audience conversation which questions the importance of world building at all. Hypothetically FiM could come out with some kind of revolutionary story arc that sets some kind of new standard, but if the subsequent toy line doesn't sell, it could potentially not matter at all.

We can only hope that FiM has a long healthy remaining run and G5 understands and respects the legacy it will leave behind, I thankfully think we are on track for that.