WanderPony

What if a cast member passed away?

I understand this is a sensitive topic, so I'm going to try to tread lightly.

Anyways, it's very common in long-running series for a cast member to pass away while the show is in production. Good examples include Mako in Avatar: The Last Airbender and Ernest Borgnine in SpongeBob SquarePants. This is so common I'm surprised this hasn't happened with MLP yet. (Probably because the oldest cast member is John de Lancie IIRC, and he doesn't seem to have had any health problems that I know of.)

So, anyways, I keep thinking about what if this DID happen with MLP. How would this affect production? How would the fans (you included) cope with it?

Put another person in the job?

Now, I'm not saying that these people aren't important or that their death wouldn't be a loss, but what are the producers going to do? Assuming it's a voice actor, kill the character too? Me? I'd understand and keep watching, judging the new cast member on their own merit. Not really an issue when thinking about the reasons I watch the cartoon.

They'd most likely just have to replace with the person able to mimic that character's voice the closest. For cartoons I wouldn't expect them to replace the character or write them out, sad as it might be.

Assuming the new VA did a decent job and didn't sound like just a cheap copy. I'll roll with it (and that's assuming it was a character big enough that they couldn't just send him/her up the stairs like Chuck Cunningham).

I suspect for some that the reaction would depend on the character in question, from both an emotional level and production level. The unfortunate passing of any of the cast would trigger an outpouring of grief and support for the deceased ... that goes without saying. 

I'll try and aporoach this without forming an embolism by using Tabitha as an example. She voices my favorite character, appears to be a genuine individual who is pleasant (and hilarious) to talk to, does a damn good job on her characters, and voices a fair amount of them. 

Outside of the emotional impact that her passing would have, replacing her would be a challenge for the show due to her talent and breadth of characters. I admit I would likely hold any replacement to an unfair criteria, and be admittedly biased against anyone stepping up to voice Rarity ... at least at first. 

If the new actor did a decent job, I would likely change my tune eventually and accept her and recognize the talent, but almost guarantee my heart and nostalgic mind would always belong to Tabitha's take on the character. 

A similar reaction would be possible for most of the characters. If a guest VA passed, I would almost rather they not recast the character out of respect. 

Just some lachrymose musings on the subject. 

I know that it shouldn't be technically too hard to replace the characters if it is a main character but the emotional attachments we made with the current voices. I know the show must go on, but it's not going to be the same.

Another reason why i'd be pretty devastated because not only do I love their work on the show, but I've had a chance to meet a good number of the show staff at conventions and the like. And they have all been as nice as you'd think. So it would make it doubly difficult to deal with a death.

Very much depends on the character.
Lesser characters or one time could potentially just be dropped without any fuss.

Some characters could easily be replaced without a great deal of notice.

Any of the Mane 6 would be pretty fatal for the show without a solid replacement.

There's also the question of respect to who ever has passed. It might be a bit shameful to just straight out replace a character.

Most likely the show would be put on hiatus while they question whether it's best for the show to keep going or to end it.  In fact I bet that Hasbro already has an exit strat in case something like this does happen.  This is a good reminder though, why getting too attached to a show or it's cast can be hard on some people.  I am reminded of somebody who was a very big fan of a certain internet reviewer who unfortunately went on to take their own life.  The fan was deeply saddened as that person brought them joy and helped them through a hard time in their life.

Sometimes life happened and great shows get cut down in their prime, much like their cast.  We are all pretty lucky that Friendship Is Magic has lasted 6 seasons, with a feature length movie on the way as well as a 7th season.  Whatever happens, I hope the show will be able to continue for as long as it can.

• Like 1

Depends on who it is that we're talking about.  If it's a supporting character's actor, it'd be easier to replace or eliminate the character, but what if it's the star?

The best recent example of a star character who got a new voice actor upon the death of his original was Garfield - whose original voice actor was the late Lorenzo Music and whose current voice actor is Frank Welker.  An older example, from the 60's or 70's, was when Alan Reed passed and the voice of Fred Flintstone became Henry Corden.

Now, when Welker goes, they'll have trouble - since he voices several dozen, if not hundred characters.  Kind of like how Warner Brothers has had to farm out voices since Mel Blanc passed away.

As far as MLP goes, we've already seen twice this season Ashleigh's mimicry ability when she's had Dashie imitating the other characters - she could probably step into a third role, if only temporarily.  And Rebecca Soichet would likely take over if she had to for Tara Strong.

But if the aforementioned John DeLancie passed, I don't think anybody could replace him as Discord - which would put us in the very weird position of having to explain the death of an immortal character.