Megas75

Cancelled games you wished happened

Game development sometimes doesn't go as well as planned, but there are always those games that are looked at with much anticipation, but for one reason or another, they get canned. What are some cancelled games you guys were looking forward too?

5 years later, and Megaman Legends 3 still hurts 

Before anyone says Prey 2, that game is being made. It's being made by Arkane (the Dishonored people) I believe, and It's being called Prey because making a different game with the same name as a game made 10+ years ago is what all the cool kids are doing these days. 

16 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

Fallout would have been an amazing MMO, seeing as how we've only seen a fraction of it's universe there is a lot of room to work with. Albeit the combat mechanics probably would have been pretty clunky to fit the MMO style. At least we got ESO out of this debacle.

Freelancer 2 would have been awesome to see. Sadly the title was axed early in development when Digital Anvil was closed down in 2006. The only remnants of 'Project Lonestar' are a few tech demo videos, some of which seem to have vanished, and an announcement from back in 2004/2005.

Freelancer 2 would have been a sequel to 2003's Freelancer which was, and possibly still is, one of the best open world space sims. The game still lives, 13 years in, thanks to the crews of the Discovery, Flak88 and Crossfire overhaul mods. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet and is looking for a good open world sandbox Space-sim. The game is no longer being sold, so you may have to either find a second hand copy or visit the more... shady parts of the internet. In any case, it's definitely a game worth playing if you're a fan of the genre. And there are several mods that bring it up to speed with modern technology (16:9 support, HD textures, etc..)

It's a damn shame that the entire genre went dark for a whole 10 years after it's golden age during the late 90's and the start of the 2000's. 

On 8/30/2016 at 10:30 PM, Megas75 said:

Game development sometimes doesn't go as well as planned, but there are always those games that are looked at with much anticipation, but for one reason or another, they get canned. What are some cancelled games you guys were looking forward too?

5 years later, and Megaman Legends 3 still hurts 

Wow...that's hard to believe that it's been 5 years.

Edited by WonkyStallion

Being a big BIONICLE fan, I can't help but wonder about Legends of Mata Nui.  To start off, I think I remember hearing something about it or seeing a trailer of it way back around the time it was in development;  it was then slated for a fall 2001 release.  Then I totally forgot all about it, not knowing that it wound up being cancelled.  It wasn't until much later on that I found out more about the game and remembered that it did exist.  From YouTube videos and random screenshots I found, it looked pretty darn interesting (for 2001 standards).  Later still, I found a post on the BZPower forums about the reasons why it got cancelled, though I've heard a lot of reasons why the game got called off.  Lots of glitches, lack of funding, not being up to LEGO's quality standards, and even 9/11 have come up as possible reasons why the game got cancelled.

As a side note, there does seem to be copies of a beta/developmental version of the game floating around (in very limited quantity), which is where a lot of the screenshots and YouTube videos of the game come from.  There's also been some efforts to get the game released properly, but no such luck.

Dinosaur Planet for Nintendo 64 would have been quite the escapade from Rareware as another strong title in their lineup of legendary games from the 64-bit era... What we got in its place on the Nintendo Gamecube, Starfox Adventures, was a good game in its own right, a lot of fans feel otherwise about the journey, and for good reason... It wasn't even supposed to be a Star Fox game at all, and it shows by being drastically different from anything else the series had to offer.

Aside from few promotional materials floating around and magazine scans from gaming magazines detailing Krystal was going to have a much bigger role in the original game, I can only imagine how the game would have turned out had the game stuck to its own setting instead of becoming a hybrid of two entirely different beasts.

It's a shame it gets as much flak as it does, I bet Adventures wouldn't have an eyebrow bat at it if it weren't a Star Fox game.

Rainbow Six: Patriots.

Basically the game was going to tackle homegrown terrorists in the western world (namely the US) that had come into existence because of political and economical corruption and the disenfranchisement of the working class. It would have involved choices in the heat of the mission that would change the structure of the campaign based on what you did, like "Do I grab the terrorist but let him set off a suicide bomb that he's strapped to an innocent executive, which will possibly kill hundreds plus knock this bridge out of commission or do I let the terrorist go in order to save the innocents and foil this immediate plan?".

But Ubisoft got cold feet concerning the controversial nature of the story and the choices.

Pfff...

One of my favourite was City of Metronome, the idea and concepts behind had a ton of potential: You're in this city poblated with souless workers (literally), and you must find the secrets of the city, and most important, survive. The man mechanic of the game was that your character had a backpack wich can replicate any sound, and different sounds were going to be used to solve puzzles (they will affect the workers), and even as weapons (sound amplification).

It's been 11 years since the trailer, and 6 since the last "hint", it's considered pretty much death at this moment.

And what about the rest of games of Legacy of Kain? There're 6 games, but the plans for the franchise were for 16 games, I mean... *sigh* no, I really don't have anything to say, why this never got finished?!

oraziel.png

3 hours ago, Voc said:

Rainbow Six: Patriots.

Basically the game was going to tackle homegrown terrorists in the western world (namely the US) that had come into existence because of political and economical corruption and the disenfranchisement of the working class. It would have involved choices in the heat of the mission that would change the structure of the campaign based on what you did, like "Do I grab the terrorist but let him set off a suicide bomb that he's strapped to an innocent executive, which will possibly kill hundreds plus knock this bridge out of commission or do I let the terrorist go in order to save the innocents and foil this immediate plan?".

But Ubisoft got cold feet concerning the controversial nature of the story and the choices.

Patriots turned into Rainbow Six: Siege. If you play Terrorist Hunt the terrorists are all American. Situations is the same way. 

19 hours ago, Procellus said:

This.

tfw we'll never build custom battle barges

tfw we'll never build Tito Empire

tfw we'll never lay the groundwork for a greater Karadžić drama

We will only have present HoI to mod for this.

5 hours ago, SonataDusk said:

Patriots turned into Rainbow Six: Siege. If you play Terrorist Hunt the terrorists are all American. Situations is the same way. 

I am aware, but a skin and voice pack for a multiplayer only game does not make up for what could have been a really biting commentary on America at the time the game would have been released.

21 minutes ago, Voc said:

I am aware, but a skin and voice pack for a multiplayer only game does not make up for what could have been a really biting commentary on America at the time the game would have been released.

I doubt Tom Clancy of all people, dead or alive, would've allowed his name to be attached to such a project.

1 hour ago, SonataDusk said:

I doubt Tom Clancy of all people, dead or alive, would've allowed his name to be attached to such a project.

The real reason it fell through is because the Occupy movement started winding down and losing popular support, so Ubisoft canned it. They also claim that 'the new consoles were right around the corner it didn't make much sense to continue developing a game for the last gen' yet there they were with more Assassin's Creed games.

Metroid Dread.

I dunno if it was ever actually cancelled, but I don't see it showing up any time soon (though I'm wishing for a surprise announcement when the NX is close to launch...). It's a shame too, I like pretty much every Metroid except Other M and Federation Force quite a bit (I never played Other M, and Federation Force just doesn't look like my kind of game so I won't be bothering with it either, though it looks alright enough).

That Kirby game for Gamecube (not sure it had a name).

I remember seeing screenshots for a Kirby game for Gamecube in production at some point. I think it got canned since it got moved to Wii and became Kirby's Return to Dream Land (which is a very good game), but I still would've liked to see the GCN version come to fruition, if only because it looked like it had helpers, and I liked helpers.

Sonic XTreme (or whatever the Saturn one that never happened was called).

I never got a Sega Saturn, and I only really started playing Sonic games with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, but I've seen footage of this game and it looked interesting. If nothing else, I would've liked to see what it might've become.

Also, Mega Man Legends 3.

I only played the original Playstation Legends once as a rental, and I sucked at it, but I had fun with it, and I'm confident that the Legends games could've been improved upon quite a bit if this one had been made. I was quite looking forward to this one. But it wasn't meant to be.

More then anything, Sonic Xtreme. Especially the build based on the comics/SatAM with the freedom fighters intact. Playable Sally Acorn would of made a lot of people happy. :/ I'd be happy to see any canceled Sonic game get made, but as they are all over 15 years old and some scrapped rather early, that'll never really happen.