Sethisto

Would you drop everything and be a pony?!

6 minutes ago, ForNoGoodReason said:

Sure?  Recognizing Equestria isn't perfect its still pretty darn good.  I recall hearing harsher conditions to get there and still saying yes.

I do like change.

Good, because in Equestria they don't have paper money!

I'd say no, for various reasons. I'd miss what I have in this world, for one thing. There's also a question of what kind of doctors and medicine exist in Equestria, and if I'd still be schizophrenic as a pony (if becoming a pony cures that, that makes this option a lot more appealing... but I'd still say no). Also, I'd miss my friends and family. Plus they'd wonder how I suddenly seemed to disappear, meaning they'd have extreme anxiety over my sudden disappearance. Not to mention that Equestria is full of dangers that we don't have here. Like, you know, former princesses who try to bring about everlasting night, changeling invasions, various monsters, evil dragons, etc.

You do realize that you can get most of the "good" things in Equestria simply by moving to a small town right in the US?

You get the slower pace of life, the lower crime rates, friendlier neighbors. But you also lose out on the consumer goods, fast internet access, and the bigger pay checks.

32 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

You do realize that you can get most of the "good" things in Equestria simply by moving to a small town right in the US?

You get the slower pace of life, the lower crime rates, friendlier neighbors. But you also lose out on the consumer goods, fast internet access, and the bigger pay checks.

Yes but you would not be an adorable pony surrounded by other adorable ponies.
Also, there have been no documented cases of bugbear attacks since recordkeeping began.

3 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

Yes but you would not be an adorable pony surrounded by other adorable ponies.
Also, there have been no documented cases of bugbear attacks since recordkeeping began.

Your human inhibitions would make things very awkward at first, and you'd find life without fingers quite difficult.

Just now, Aaargh Zombies said:

Your human inhibitions would make things very awkward at first, and you'd find life without fingers quite difficult.

We're still talking about small-town America, right? :rdwink:

21 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

We're still talking about small-town America, right? :rdwink:

A lot of what makes Equestria seem attractive is that it's an escape from our busy and complicated lives. A world where we don't have to worry whether our health care plan covers the costs incurred by slipping on a wet sidewalk, or where there isn't some nasty boss demanding that we get last month's fiscal report on his desk by the morning, and where the guy running the store where you buy your groceries isn't treating you like you exist simply to make his life difficult.

MLP represents a simpler existence in a world surrounded by people who are generally pleasant to be around. Pretty much everything life in the inner city\suburbs isn't.

Nopony has to commute 4 hours a day, or gets stuck in a 2 hour tailback on the freeway. They don't get drunk and beat their wives. Their kids don't spend more time messaging on their phones than they do eating and sleeping.

The kind of life that we want is achievable in the real world, and without the added inconvenience of having a body that's not designed for most of our modern conveniences.

On 9/11/2016 at 10:29 AM, Aaargh Zombies said:

The kind of life that we want is achievable in the real world.

No, not it's not achievable. There's always someone higher up making their life easier at the sacrifice of making others' more difficult. Democracy doesn't exist, nor will it in a large-scale nation, we just live and trust (or distrust and not do anything about) our government. But I'm going off on a tangent, that's not the topic of this thread.

Yes, I would drop everything and go. I have nothing here that I would miss apart from my pets, but they're getting up there in age. It would be nice to pursue my interests with no boundaries and live in a world where the issues of modern life are non-existent and problems can be solved with magic.

Definitely. I've little to loose here aside for a few friends who have mostly moved on, my cats, 14 years worth of education and a very specialized skill set which becomes useless in a world of talking equines. The move to a seemingly much better off world without the hassle of our daily lives and the introduction of magic as a viable tool really offsets the technological gap. I've been fascinated by the concept of magic since I was little anyway, so living in a world where it's abundant and can be readily learned and researched would be a dream come true.

The one thing I would actually miss from this world is how connected everyone is thanks to the Internet and talking to all of you wonderful blokes and lasses. Other than that I wouldn't even look back, my family is insane, this country is insane, the people who live here are even more insane!

15 hours ago, Nova S. Aurora said:

No, not it's not achievable. There's always someone higher up making their life easier at the sacrifice of making others' more difficult. Democracy doesn't exist, nor will it in a large-scale nation, we just live and trust (or distrust and not do anything about) our government. But I'm going off on a tangent, that's not the topic of this thread.

Yes, I would drop everything and go. I have nothing here that I would miss apart from my pets, but they're getting up there in age. It would be nice to pursue my interests with no boundaries and live in a world where the issues of modern life are non-existent and problems can be solved with magic.

If you went to somewhere like Manehatten, you'd likely come across everything that you hate from the real world.

Ponyville is an idealized version of a small town. That kind of life is enjoyed by millions of Americans every day.

7 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

Definitely. I've little to loose here aside for a few friends who have mostly moved on, my cats, 14 years worth of education and a very specialized skill set which becomes useless in a world of talking equines. The move to a seemingly much better off world without the hassle of our daily lives and the introduction of magic as a viable tool really offsets the technological gap. I've been fascinated by the concept of magic since I was little anyway, so living in a world where it's abundant and can be readily learned and researched would be a dream come true.

The one thing I would actually miss from this world is how connected everyone is thanks to the Internet and talking to all of you wonderful blokes and lasses. Other than that I wouldn't even look back, my family is insane, this country is insane, the people who live here are even more insane!

Have you ever tired living without central heating and\or air conditioning?

I bet the apple family farm is FREEZING in winter. Ponyville gets several feet worth of snow and a winter that lasts 3 months. That right there is pretty nasty.

You'd shed some of the hassles of modern life, but you can shed those in the real world as well simply by moving to a smaller town where people are more neighborly.

At least in the real world you know that the sun and moon do their own thing and that life as you know it wouldn't stop if the leader of your country slipped on an icy step and smacked their head on the floor. You also don't have gigantic magic eating centaurs roaming the countryside, or Hydra lurking in the local swamp.

2 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

If you went to somewhere like Manehatten, you'd likely come across everything that you hate from the real world.

Ponyville is an idealized version of a small town. That kind of life is enjoyed by millions of Americans every day.

I'm sure everyone will agree when you manage to lay on a cloud to sleep on a lazy sunny Sunday, or can move objects with magic. Or can talk to your favorite characters. Visit Twilight's palace and live as her subject.

Far far away from Donald Trump and the like.

• Like 1

Just now, Metemponychosis said:

I'm sure everyone will agree when you manage to lay on a cloud to sleep on a lazy sunny Sunday, or can move objects with magic. Or can talk to your favorite characters. Visit Twilight's palace and live as her subject.

Far far away from Donald Trump and the like.

You can lay on a cloud on Sunday, but on Monday you're back on weather duty with your foreman riding your flank about why your Cumulus aren't properly co-ordinated with your nimbus. I'm also pretty certain that being a weather pony doesn't come with a very good pension or an optometrist plan.

You can get shot of Donald trump by moving to a small town and turning the TV off. Or you could swap him for Prince Blueblood.

At least you can vote against Trump, Blueblood is your prince for life.

37 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

You can lay on a cloud on Sunday, but on Monday you're back on weather duty with your foreman riding your flank about why your Cumulus aren't properly co-ordinated with your nimbus. I'm also pretty certain that being a weather pony doesn't come with a very good pension or an optometrist plan.

You can get shot of Donald trump by moving to a small town and turning the TV off. Or you could swap him for Prince Blueblood.

At least you can vote against Trump, Blueblood is your prince for life.

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to assume that my boss is the only boss I can have and it's on my preferred job, and I'm not willing to change jobs because of this jerk (those are three assumptions that everything that can go wrong is going horribly wrong just because you want it). If this foreman is ridding my flank, I'm probably not doing a good job. And if that is the case, I'm was going to be taking the same thing here on Earth anyway, so it's the same. But if I am doing a good job, and this guy is still on my case, I'm going to have a talk with the local Princess. She seems to be interested in getting involved in this kind of problem.

Why do you assume that my job doesn't pay me enough to retire comfortably or to care for my health. Starting with that, there is another thing... Just because public health is non-existent in the US, I doesn't have to be in Equestria. Specially with the whole friendship theme going on. It may not be perfect, but it doesn't have to be awful either. And again, I'm sure that if Equestria was real, people would take this sort of issue to Twilight and she'd be certain to look into it. Even if it can't be fixed, there is someone that cares taking a look.

That is the beauty of Equestria, in my opinion. I used Donald Trump as an example because that is one that americans can relate and understand immediately what I mean. But the problem are politicians in general and the actual democratic process as a whole. We've made a system that elects the one that manages to hide their dirt better than the others or at least can lie better. And in my opinion, it's worse in the US than it is my country. Here, I literally have a dozen of presidential candidates. I doesn't matter which one I vote for, the're ALL corrupt and they're all in bed with all sorts of corporations with all sorts of interests. Or do you thing that Hillary is factually better than Trump? If the cartoon would delve into the politics of Equestria, we'd see some nice things because the princesses are there, they are in control, and they have good intentions.

So why care about Blueblood? I care about Celestia and Luna. They're the ones calling the shots. Here, I have to be concerned about the idiots getting elected in my country and then the neanderthal in Russia and the Clown in the US. And by the way, Blueblood is at least a good diplomat.

The problem with this discussion is that Earth wins by default because it's real, but loses anyway because we're imagining "what if we could go to this fictional place?". A fictional place that is idealized and has room for solutions that our real world just doesn't. People are going to make their Equestria be better than Earth if they want because it's a place of "good endings" by design. No matter how many monsters appear on Equestria, things always turn out ok. Here, if I make a wrong turn and end up in the bad side of town, the "least worst" that can happen is that I'll lose everything I'm carrying and the "villain" is not even going to be defeated in the end.

Unless the writers from the Game of Thrones series take over.

On 13/09/2016 at 9:04 PM, Metemponychosis said:

Why do you assume that my job doesn't pay me enough to retire comfortably or to care for my health. Starting with that, there is another thing... Just because public health is non-existent in the US, I doesn't have to be in Equestria. Specially with the whole friendship theme going on. It may not be perfect, but it doesn't have to be awful either. And again, I'm sure that if Equestria was real, people would take this sort of issue to Twilight and she'd be certain to look into it. Even if it can't be fixed, there is someone that cares taking a look.

Equestria is an analogue of California, where MLP is written. But with analogues of other US cities superimposed on top of it.

5 minutes ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

Equestria is an analogue of California, where MLP is written. But with analogues of other US cities superimposed on top of it.

Bullshit. It is what it is.

EDIT: By the way, what do you mean that it is written there?

Edited by Metemponychosis
Edited the post because I wanted to clarify something and forgot to ask something.

Just now, Metemponychosis said:

Bullshit.

1) Language.

2) Southern Equestria is desert with a Latin theme, as seen in the Daring Do books. The east becomes desert with sandstone mountains (Appaloosa and the badlands = Nevada). The central northern regions are forested with open plains giving way to snow covered mountains = Oregon), and the west is low lying and fertile with sandy coasts and a lot of wealth = West California). Aside from the analogs of American cities, every region matches part of California, and the different accents represent the different draws in California.

There are even valley girls.

The writers just drew inspiration from their surroundings. What's so hard to believe about that?

Oh, come on. Don't tell me "bullshit" offended you or something. You're just being condescending. Just like asking "what's so hard to believe about that?"

When there is a princess ruling California, said princess got her position for graduating at magical and friendship studies, and the US accepts a president that comes from another country because they admit she's fit to rule them spontaneously, you get back to me with this argument. Drawing inspirations is not the same as making it the same. Equestria may have similarities to the US (there is no way anyone can deny that), but saying that it's necessarily the same and functions in the same way, enough to draw this sort of parallel is a bit too much for me.

I get what you're saying, but the US doesn't have rainbow cascades, Washington DC doesn't stand atop a mountain and Obama doesn't raise the sun, people there don't change the weather (at least no the same the ponies do) and I'm pretty sure that apple orchards don't get magically charged and apples turn rainbow colored. I'm also pretty sure that the US National Guard is somewhat more useful than the Royal Guard.

On 16/09/2016 at 9:30 PM, Metemponychosis said:

Oh, come on. Don't tell me "bullshit" offended you or something. You're just being condescending. Just like asking "what's so hard to believe about that?"

When there is a princess ruling California, said princess got her position for graduating at magical and friendship studies, and the US accepts a president that comes from another country because they admit she's fit to rule them spontaneously, you get back to me with this argument. Drawing inspirations is not the same as making it the same. Equestria may have similarities to the US (there is no way anyone can deny that), but saying that it's necessarily the same and functions in the same way, enough to draw this sort of parallel is a bit too much for me.

I get what you're saying, but the US doesn't have rainbow cascades, Washington DC doesn't stand atop a mountain and Obama doesn't raise the sun, people there don't change the weather (at least no the same the ponies do) and I'm pretty sure that apple orchards don't get magically charged and apples turn rainbow colored. I'm also pretty sure that the US National Guard is somewhat more useful than the Royal Guard.

You came out with a one word answer, and that word was pretty crude, and now you're building Equestria's biggest strawman argument.

I'm trying to give you credit by writing a sensible answer as to why Exquestria is based on California. I start talking about culture and geography, and yank Princesses in right out of left field?

MLP's writers also write another of other series. They base their fictional worlds on the real world around them as A) It's what that know, and B) because they want it to be recognizable to the audience without them having to explain things in too much depth.

This is  why so many cartoons are set in cities that either resemble LA, Hollywood or San-Fransisco. Depending on the image that they want to present.

Even if you look at it in a more general way, Equestria is clearly supposed to be based on America more than any other part of the world, and the writers are clearly more familiar with America than any other part of the world. Almost all of the stereotypes from the series are American, and most of the different cultures in the show are based on different cultures found in the US. In fact the only thing that really stands out as not being American is the fact that the country is Monarchy rather than a republic.

It's therefore pretty logical to suggest that anything that isn't specified as being different from America is in fact pretty similar to how it is in America.

Can you come up with anything from the show or the comics, or books, or the mobile game which would suggest that the show's writers decided to base anything really significant on a European model rather than the American model?

I would only do it if I was allowed to take all of my personal belongings, maybe my house, friends if thats allowed. I would be a Pegasus and I wouldn't miss the manual labor and hard work of real life. But I would miss friends and family if they weren't allowed to come.

Well, I would only do it if I could bring my friends with me. And let my family know. I mean, when I first joined the fandom, I would've said yes immediately! And then, life got better. (I still want unicr0n magic tho, so awesome >w<)

5 hours ago, Aaargh Zombies said:

You came out with a one word answer, and that word was pretty crude, and now you're building Equestria's biggest strawman argument.

I'm trying to give you credit by writing a sensible answer as to why Exquestria is based on California. I start talking about culture and geography, and yank Princesses in right out of left field?

MLP's writers also write another of other series. They base their fictional worlds on the real world around them as A) It's what that know, and B) because they want it to be recognizable to the audience without them having to explain things in too much depth.

This is  why so many cartoons are set in cities that either resemble LA, Hollywood or San-Fransisco. Depending on the image that they want to present.

Even if you look at it in a more general way, Equestria is clearly supposed to be based on America more than any other part of the world, and the writers are clearly more familiar with America than any other part of the world. Almost all of the stereotypes from the series are American, and most of the different cultures in the show are based on different cultures found in the US. In fact the only thing that really stands out as not being American is the fact that the country is Monarchy rather than a republic.

It's therefore pretty logical to suggest that anything that isn't specified as being different from America is in fact pretty similar to how it is in America.

Can you come up with anything from the show or the comics, or books, or the mobile game which would suggest that the show's writers decided to base anything really significant on a European model rather than the American model?

I was saying your argument is bullshit. That is not crude nor is it a strawman. It' an opinion.

And now you're repeating your point that Equestria must be like the US because its writers drew inspiration from it to come up with Equestria. I said that being inspired by something doesn't make it the same. Specially when you want me to remove parts of what defines Equestria and that make it different. And you're saying that I'M building a strawman?

Then you're pretty much saying that anything I come up with to show that Equestria is different must be based on something that you allow it to come from when I already said that Equestria should be seem, for the sake of this conversation, as it's own independent world. Can you name THIS logical fallacy?