Steamworks

S6 - Episode 18 - Discussion

Talk about earth pony magic being able to buck a specific apple.

Dashie doesn't know what buckball is? You think she'd know about it just so she could excel at it (or at least best AJ at it).

Dashie is describing buckball, but it sounds like TF2 to me.

It's no surprise that Pinkie has a unicorn costume (it's probably a roll of tape and toilet paper tube).

I was kind of hoping for something wackier with buckball.

That's a lot of control over your tail there, Flutters.

Snails is a savant, confirmed?

Come on, Flutters, it's not that scary of a training bit.

Is it really just performance anxiety? Somepony get Flutters and Pinkie some shots. To Tartarus with their livers.

Fluttershy dropping the trash talk!

Is that a female Bulk Biceps?

(No, I won't comment on seriousness vs fun in games. I don't want to go back to being banned.)

It was a pretty good episode. It's not in my top 3 of this season thus far (The Saddle Row Review, Stranger Than Fanfiction, and Gauntlet of Fire in no particular order), but it's a lot of fun. Dash and AJ showing character development by realizing the "Friendship Report"-Style lesson much earlier, 'Shy's spin moves. Pinkie's hit-the-ball-with-whatever technique being strangely efficacious, and the pegasus on Braeburn's team (who I'm convinced is Bulk Biceps' cousin of something) all made for a fun episode.

It was a good episode. Good to see competitive sports present in Equestria besides the aerial performances of the Wonderbolts.

That said, I'm not entirely sure I buy the fact that Fluttershy is inherently better than Rainbow Dash at Buckball. Rainbow Dash was making all of the plays in the earlier practice sequences and then conveniently makes almost none of the plays later. I think what separates them is a matter of strategy. Seems like Rainbow Dash was positioning herself in one place and hoping that her natural athletic abilities would allow her to make the plays, while Fluttershy was positioned where the ball would go and can get to the ball without breaking a sweat. Can't overlook the importance of strategy, Dashie :(

I don't think 'Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are inherently better at this than Rainbow Dash and Applejack' was necessarily the point, so it's not an idea we need to buy into. It was supposed to be a new sport and they were just pulling a team together, so I think it's safe to assume that Rainbow Dash and Applejack hadn't had the opportunity to practice extensively under real team/match circumstances. They're also motivated by other ponies depending on them, so it's highly possible that early team-building/practice time is lower stakes, lower motivation to them than later practices or the game proper. Whereas the opposite was true for Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, who may not have pre-existing athleticism on their side, but have natural talent and perform more easily with no/lower stakes. Going with the natural talent players when there's little to no time for practice makes sense, but doesn't necessarily mean that Dash and AJ couldn't have managed just as well under other circumstances.

I'm glad to see that Dash has grown past the point of being a 100% unadulterated glory hound enough so to give Fluttershy the opportunity to play here, though I must admit it strikes me as sad that she didn't flat out expect the pressure of everypony depending on her to be a bit much for Fluttershy. You've known each other from childhood and you haven't figured out she cowers under perceived pressure?

38 minutes ago, Ink Tracks said:

I'm glad to see that Dash has grown past the point of being a 100% unadulterated glory hound enough so to give Fluttershy the opportunity to play here, though I must admit it strikes me as sad that she didn't flat out expect the pressure of everypony depending on her to be a bit much for Fluttershy. You've known each other from childhood and you haven't figured out she cowers under perceived pressure?

I think it's easy for her to get swept up in the competitive spirit of going against AAAAAAAAppleloosa! Home team good, visitors bad!

9 minutes ago, ABronyAccount said:

I think it's easy for her to get swept up in the competitive spirit of going against AAAAAAAAppleloosa! Home team good, visitors bad!

Certainly. It just seems to be a flavor of mistake she makes frequently with Fluttershy, regardless of their history. xD