BearFear

Princess Celestia

3 minutes ago, lucario2012 said:

Celestia is pretty underdeveloped for being in the show since the beginning. She really needs an episode to flesh-out her character.

couldn't have said it better myself

Princess Celestia has come a REALLY long way since she was first introduced as the "Picture Perfect Pony" the target demographic was supposed to idolize strictly for being pretty.. but as soon as "The Best Night Ever" aired, we STARTED to realize she wasn't all that was cracked up to be.... It would take a while for her character to develop further, but starting from Season 4 onward ON TOP of her developments in the IDW comics,  Celestia isn't even CLOSE to being as boring as we made her out to be in the past !

She's a kind and reasonable ruler that nurtures her subjects and protects her kingdom NOT with war, but with diplomacy. I'd say that's a positive role model that goes way beyond being "Lawlz, Trollestia" or heaven forbid an old-school Disney Princess.

• Like 3

She's basically a combination of Lord of the Ring's Gandalf, and Harry Potter's Dumbledore.  She's the super-powerful character that wants to nurture and develop others.  I love the Celestia and Spike comic where she talks about how she wants to see her students achieve things for themselves, rather than her doing it herself.  Ever since "best night ever" she's been my favorite character. 

I don't really think she's been underdeveloped.  We know tons about her character, she just really hasn't gotten a chance to showcase that character.  It's all come in little bits here and there.  She wants to make other ponies the best they can be, and she won't do everything for them.  She is a kind ruler, but doesn't really like the nobility her position comes with, and would like to be treated normally by her friends.  She has a playful side, but nothing malicious that would support the "trollestia" memes. 

As for the show.  I've long since given up on her ever getting an episode.  I compare her to Gandalf and Dumbledore, but unlike those characters, she's probably never going to get that moment where she gets to show why her reputation and power is well earned.  Jim Miller once said that writing for her is like writing for Superman.  She's too powerful.  Well, apparently no one on the show staff ever noticed that now and then, Superman is let loose to show just how powerful he is.  I just hope we see her get some character moments now and then, and that the writers stop having her (and Luna) play damsel in distress so often.  Season 6 opener was a good example of how to use these two, have them be active in the background, even if the focus isn't on them.

Though, with Meghan writing the movie, and capture princesses being her modus operandi, I expect her and Luna to get captured within the first 20 minutes or so...

I love Celestia. At first I worried she was going to be a Mary Sue, but agree with the comments about Best Night Ever, in that it showed she's not perfect either, and can even poke fun at herself when teaching a social lesson. I have a feeling she's actually quite damaged, similar to Luna, though she handles it better. We really, REALLY need an episode showing their backstory! That's way overdue!

The only thing that bugs me, albeit in a minor way, is the stereotypical over-glorification of the sun and the bubbly personality it brings with it. I've always preferred the soothing night over the boisterous day, the soft glow of the moon over the blinding sun, rain to clear skies, mountain forests to sandy beaches. You get the picture. Because of that Luna is my favorite princess. But I certainly still love Celestia.

• Like 1

I like Celestia and always have and usually cringe when people depict her as some insane tyrant or other typical negative portrayals of her.

I never viewed her as perfect, despite the appearances, I mean from the first episode we learn she was forced to banish her own sister to the moon. From the start I was going "good lord what kind of a mental hell has she been going through for the past 1000 years?" My thoughts on that were pretty validated in the season 4 opener, just making me rooting for her even more. She's had to make so many tough choices, yet in the end it's always paid off. I don't bother with "how it might have gone wrong" mindset, were some of her plans flawed? Maybe, but hey look they still succeeded, so I'm not hung up on "what might have been", I look at her success rate and it's pretty damn impressive.

I'm more of a when Celestia shows her plans going "Your plan is insane! LET'S DO IT!!!!" :twitwitch:

She's a mother to her nation, a parent who isn't afraid to let her "children" get down and dirty to learn their lessons. She isn't a helicopter parent and when it really comes down to it she will take action, just most of the time she doesn't have to. I just can't help loving her. Not because I think she is perfect, but exactly because I don't think she is perfect.

• Like 1

If Celestia were to be re-represented in a pagan light: would she be the center of the Roman sun cult? By that respect, would she be the eternal Caesar, at her godly throne and attended to be the realm's flamen and pontifs?

Sun princess needs more love in the show. I love all four major princesses (and won't deny Twilight is my favorite princess). Not been enough time with Flurry to have a opinion on her yet. (Other than I don't hate her. I think hating a baby is ridiculous.)

• Like 1

The show needs to really branch off and do a few episodes about the Princesses. There's so many great opportunities for episodes with them that it would be a shame to waste them.

• Like 1

I respect her for feeling guilty about banishing Luna... but from everything I've seen, she doesn't have to. Luna brought that all upon herself.

I also hate her actions at both Galas. For god's sake, talk it out with others instead of being petulant and so underhanded about it!

On 9/3/2016 at 8:57 AM, lucario2012 said:

Celestia is pretty underdeveloped for being in the show since the beginning. She really needs an episode to flesh-out her character.

This is my thoughts as well. For a while I guessed they've been ignoring her to the point I felt she was off limits in a sense.

Until last season, I honestly felt she had almost no real character development. Season 5 gave her a bit more personality ( her being at the Gala and getting excited at the end ) outside of maybe when she took on Chrysalis head on.

Her getting an episode is of my person most wants for the show, just to flesh her out a lot. I honestly think she could easily challenge Luna in terms of popularity if they gave her a good episode or two.

1 hour ago, BasementPony16 said:

I can't help it but i feel bitter if i think about her. My current thoughts:

• She should be the one with two episodes for herself
  • She should be the one who helped the Cutie Mark Crusaders
  • She should be the one who met with Twilight Sparkle in their free time
  • She should be the one who gets positive screen time (manipulating parties or getting beaten every time is negative screen time fyi)

Celestia is pretty much star-crossed and sometimes i wonder if she would stand better, if Lauren Faust had never left.

I kinda makes me happy whenever someone posts something like this. It reminds me that I'm not the only one and that the powers that be are bound to notice that hey need to give Celestia some love.

Did you read the Journal of the Two Sisters? I despise it, but you may enjoy it because it does give Celestia *some* spotlight and does make her look good.

The Journal is pretty much cut down the middle between Celestia and Luna.  I wouldn't say either of them is the focus, and they both get moments to shine in the story.

Yeah, the journal is pretty equally split between both princesses. I like it and will consider it canon until the show contradicts it. (Some of the lines young!Celestia writes are heart-breaking in hindsight. She wanted things to go well, so badly.)

I think she's a really cool character but I'd love to see the more 'human' side of her. Once in a while she gives us just a glimpse of the 'regular girl' under all that pomp. I'd love to see more of that. I'd really like to know if she's ticklish, has a favorite ice cream topping, and how much she's into her bookie for. :cute:

@SunGuppyI don't fully understand what is it that people are asking for when they say they want to see Celestia's human side. Maybe it's a cultural difference.

To me, when someone says 'human side', what they mean is that they want to see that she's falible, that she has feelings and insecurities. It's weird because everytime I see her on the screen, good and bad, this is what I see.

It's like people think that Celestia is a monolyth of perfection and want to see her screw up all the time... To balance it out? I don't get the appeal of that. If there is a character that needs some of this, it would be Cadance. Discord.

I think Celestia needs the opposite.The cartoon showing that she can rule a nation.

Edited by Metemponychosis
Damn autocorrect.

She's my favorite princess, I could listen to her read a phone book! Her wittiness and that hidden fun-loving streak that occasionally shows itself is awesome too. I'm loving her development in Celestial Advice and A Royal Problem.